6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

guy on 5th gen max forums wrote that he destroyed an 04 se..

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 04:39 AM

Originally posted by Glude
Ive noticed that the 5th gen people are so stuck on there cars. I have never once heard a 6th gen person go into the 5th gen forum and compain about how much they dont like em and argue that there car is faster. I do agree that the maxima is a performance sedan but some people just take speed to far into,"whos the fastest". Im not *****in, Just tired.
Wait until the 7th gen maxima is released, then the 6th gen owners will be just like the 5th gen owners. Sometimes it’s hard to accept change
Old 07-24-2003, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by c2003k

Wait until the 7th gen maxima is released, then the 6th gen owners will be just like the 5th gen owners. Sometimes it’s hard to accept change
This is true. but you may see a lot of 6th gen owners trading in for the 7th gen,
Old 07-24-2003, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by Glude
Ive noticed that the 5th gen people are so stuck on there cars. I have never once heard a 6th gen person go into the 5th gen forum and compain about how much they dont like em and argue that there car is faster. I do agree that the maxima is a performance sedan but some people just take speed to far into,"whos the fastest". Im not *****in, Just tired.
truer words have never been spoken.

I doubt I will still have my Max by the time the 7th Gens roll out. I would like to switch to a better designed G35 convertable when they are available... assuming they fire the morons that designed the inside of the 03.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:52 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by gmc74

truer words have never been spoken.

I doubt I will still have my Max by the time the 7th Gens roll out. I would like to switch to a better designed G35 convertable when they are available... assuming they fire the morons that designed the inside of the 03.
I couldn't wait to trade my 23 month old 5th gen for a 6th. I might have felt differently if I'd had a 3.5/6spd 5th though.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:42 AM

yes, but would you be in here busting on everyone just because?

That is the real mystery, what motivates someone to come in here and start ****?
Old 07-24-2003, 03:03 PM
Moderator GT-R

yes, but would you be in here busting on everyone just because?

That is the real mystery, what motivates someone to come in here and start ****?
I wouldn't want to over generalize but... Compare the median age of the respective forums.
Boasting is a young persons sport. Most people get over it in there twenties but large contingents of Maxima enthusiasts are in their teens and twenties.
For the most part I've learned to ignore it. Why when I was their age we didn't have internet forums and chat rooms. If we wanted to make asses of ourselves we had to go cruise laps around the Sonic Drive In. There were older guys then that just ignored us or made fun of us. The difference now is the kids get in your virtual face and talk sh|t. They are harder to ignore. I don't try to engage them, when you get in the mud to wrestle a pig the mud gets on you too.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:43 AM

the aerodynamics and HP should do it. At this speed the extra 200 lbs don't really factor in... besides, the other guy could have eaten a big meal and needs to take a huge dump... that should be worth a couple of lbs

Let's be realistic. Until someone gets a stock 5th gen and a stock 6th gen to a track to run the quarter against each other, this conversation is ridiculous. There are so many variables that could influence a street race, especially one that is started while the cars are already moving. These two cars are extremely close in speed so the slightest jump by one person over the other is going to sway the out come.

Well, you're pretty wrong about the weight not affecting acceleration at that speed! So what you're saying is the 200 pounds magically disappears from the car at speed so the engine doesn't have to push that extra weight through the air???

Personally, I'm not sure what the improved aerodynamics of the 04 Max is over the 02/03 and until some people dyno a stock 04 Max (some probably already have) I don't know about the power increase claims either.

But, so far, without a doubt the 02/03 Maxima's are faster.

And, a "street race" where the cars are already moving gives a MUCH better indication of high end horsepower than one from a dead start.
There are A LOT more variables that can affect the outcome of a 1/4 mile race, most being how good the driver launches a car.
Starting a race at speed when you're side by side then flooring it, well it takes out the variable of driver skill and launching ability and puts the "race" solely in the hands of the power of the cars!

I would say, with the 04 Maxima's extra PORK, and probably not much wheel hp improvement over the 02/03 cars, that 1 1/2 car length sounds about right!
Old 07-26-2003, 12:47 PM

That sounds reasonable. I would still say that its a pretty even race though. Maybe i should race my GF auto 02.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by Driver72

Well, you're pretty wrong about the weight not affecting acceleration at that speed! So what you're saying is the 200 pounds magically disappears from the car at speed so the engine doesn't have to push that extra weight through the air???

Personally, I'm not sure what the improved aerodynamics of the 04 Max is over the 02/03 and until some people dyno a stock 04 Max (some probably already have) I don't know about the power increase claims either.

But, so far, without a doubt the 02/03 Maxima's are faster.

And, a "street race" where the cars are already moving gives a MUCH better indication of high end horsepower than one from a dead start.
There are A LOT more variables that can affect the outcome of a 1/4 mile race, most being how good the driver launches a car.
Starting a race at speed when you're side by side then flooring it, well it takes out the variable of driver skill and launching ability and puts the "race" solely in the hands of the power of the cars!

I would say, with the 04 Maxima's extra PORK, and probably not much wheel hp improvement over the 02/03 cars, that 1 1/2 car length sounds about right!
You are kidding right? You don't know what the power increase is, you don't know if it is more aerodynamic, but some how you know "without a doubt" that the 02/03's are faster?

That is interesting.

How you can say (with a straight face) that street race where cars are moving is a better show of anything? There are so many variables that you have to factor in. How do you know that they are starting from the same speed? How do you know that they are both racing from the same point? They never start at the same time... that is just BS.

The only way to test speed is in a race where the cars are starting from a stand still. Sure, you have a human element in launch times, but not in any of the other items I mentioned.

As for not know what the HPs are, take one to get it dyno'd if you don't beleive it. From what I am hearing, the 02/03 is closer to 240.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:04 PM

You are kidding right? You don't know what the power increase is, you don't know if it is more aerodynamic, but some how you know "without a doubt" that the 02/03's are faster?

That is interesting.

How you can say (with a straight face) that street race where cars are moving is a better show of anything? There are so many variables that you have to factor in. How do you know that they are starting from the same speed? How do you know that they are both racing from the same point? They never start at the same time... that is just BS.

The only way to test speed is in a race where the cars are starting from a stand still. Sure, you have a human element in launch times, but not in any of the other items I mentioned.

As for not know what the HPs are, take one to get it dyno'd if you
don't beleive it. From what I am hearing, the 02/03 is closer to 240.

Well as of now, the fastest magtime recorded for the 04's is 6.3sec while the 02's are 6.0 sec. I hate to admit it, but it's true.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by nissan_man

Well as of now, the fastest magtime recorded for the 04's is 6.3sec while the 02's are 6.0 sec. I hate to admit it, but it's true.
I agree, I don't doubt that the 02/03 is a bit faster, I think it is so close that it is going to come down to the driver. I was challenging the way he wants to gather data and what he considers to be accurate more than the data itself.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:21 AM

Ok, lets clear up all teh confusion. First i would like to say i love maximas. I own a 97se 5speed, a 02se 6speed, and a 04se 6speed. So i own teh 4th, 5th, and 6th gen max. i can tell all of you right now, my 5th gen is the fastest out of all of them. now i'm not trying to be biased since i do own all 3 cars. My 04' has the best handling. i would say in a race, the 5th gen would pull on a 6th gen by about a car, maybe less. But the point is, its still faster. teh o4' is a heavier car with teh same engine, its logic. The 10hp difference between the 5th and 6th gen does not make up for all that weight. so the 5th is still a little faster. But my 04 has nicer interior : ). but seriously, interior wise, my 4th Gen has teh best interior And teh cleanest exterior look to it. now stop with the "wars"
Old 07-28-2003, 12:44 AM

oh wait, i just test drove all 3 cars again, found something new, my 4th gen is the fastest. maybe its because of teh charger, but who cares. faster is faster. can i get a yabr? afool8.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by PejMax97SE
Ok, lets clear up all teh confusion. First i would like to say i love maximas. I own a 97se 5speed, a 02se 6speed, and a 04se 6speed. So i own teh 4th, 5th, and 6th gen max. i can tell all of you right now, my 5th gen is the fastest out of all of them. now i'm not trying to be biased since i do own all 3 cars. My 04' has the best handling. i would say in a race, the 5th gen would pull on a 6th gen by about a car, maybe less. But the point is, its still faster. teh o4' is a heavier car with teh same engine, its logic. The 10hp difference between the 5th and 6th gen does not make up for all that weight. so the 5th is still a little faster. But my 04 has nicer interior : ). but seriously, interior wise, my 4th Gen has teh best interior And teh cleanest exterior look to it. now stop with the "wars"
well said!!!!
Old 07-28-2003, 12:15 PM

has anyone dyno'd there 04 yet ?
maybe get an 02/03 and an 04 on the same dyno one after the other ?
Old 07-30-2003, 09:04 PM

Driver72's answer's enclosed in ***

You are kidding right? You don't know what the power increase is

***Ahhh, huh? As you should know, Nissan is stating 10 hp and 9lbs-ft of torque. I doubt they'd just throw any number out there.***

, you don't know if it is more aerodynamic,

***Ahh, well, yes. Again, this info is available directly from Nissan.***

but some how you know "without a doubt" that the 02/03's are faster?

***Well, it's pretty easy. You take EVERY variable we know of for both cars, and you get your scientific answer. Power to weight, gearing, aerodynamics, etc etc. And in two exact same conditions, the 02/03 comes out the winner. You have denial issue guy.***

That is interesting.

How you can say (with a straight face) that street race where cars are moving is a better show of anything? There are so many variables that you have to factor in. How do you know that they are starting from the same speed?

***Ahh, your kidding right? LOL because you are driving right next to each other side by side, door panel to door panel. Hell, you could set the cruise control if you can't hold a speed on your own. Maybe you should practice driving side by side with someone. I used to drive professionally for commercials, I'm pretty good at it.***

How do you know that they are both racing from the same point?

***Ahhh, because you're DRIVING RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER!!! You look at each other, roll down the window and say, "let's see which is faster, on the third horn go for it. Honk, honk, honk...you floor it. Wow, that was tough.***

They never start at the same time... that is just BS.

***Oh, and they do from a standing start??? LOL Do you have a clue?***

The only way to test speed is in a race where the cars are starting from a stand still.

***Absolutely and unequivocably WRONG!!! That is so off, your not even in the game.***

Sure, you have a human element in launch times, but not in any of the other items I mentioned.

***Yeah, and that HUMAN element plays a HUGE roll in who wins in a 1/4 mile. It doesn't in a rolling start.
A car like a WRX STi can absolutely demolish a Corvette Z06 in the 1/4 mile if the Corvette driver doesn't get a perfect launch. Which is MUCH harder for him than it is for the WRX STi driver.
Rolling side by side, on the road at say 40 mph, and they both floor it, the WRX STi doesn't have a CHANCE, no matter what the driver does. This eliminates a HUGE variable and leaves the race almost exclusively in the hands of the power of the cars.***

As for not know what the HPs are, take one to get it dyno'd if you don't beleive it. From what I am hearing, the 02/03 is closer to 240.

***LOL, not true AT ALL. Sport Compact car dynoed one at 217 or so hp. And there are many listed on THIS forum with 215+ whp. That would translate perfectly to 255 hp. Heck there's automatic 02/03's on this forum's dyno section that have gotten 205 hp. There are tons of variables in dynos too. They're not the end all, be all to deciding power. One guy who lives at 3500 feet elevation on a warm humid day, who hasn't changed his oil in 5000 miles and it's thickened a bit might not dyno anywhere NEAR another guy who lives at 800 feet elevation, on 65 degree day, 25% humidity, who just put fresh Mobil 1 synthetic in and his car is running in tip top shape!
Dynos are a BASELINE and you could have your car dynoed every week for a year and not get the same numbers twice.

Again, sounds like your just in denial and a bit upset that the numbers and every other factor shows the 02/03 is faster. It really doesn't matter, but facts are facts. Heck even the 2003 Altima has shown to have faster times than the 04 Maxima. There's only been one published test of the 03 Maxima SE 6 speed that I've seen, it produced a time better than the 04's have so far, and I'm sure the 02/03 Maxima is capable of better than what that one C/D test got.

I guess only you'll know someday. I don't own an 04 Maxima and don't plan on it. So once you find a driver of an 02/03 with a 6 speed, maybe you can "race" him and find out. But I wouldn't go betting him if I were you!
Geez, I can't believe I took this much time to care.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by Driver72
Driver72's answer's enclosed in ***

Again, sounds like your just in denial and a bit upset that the numbers and every other factor shows the 02/03 is faster. It really doesn't matter, but facts are facts. Heck even the 2003 Altima has shown to have faster times than the 04 Maxima. There's only been one published test of the 03 Maxima SE 6 speed that I've seen, it produced a time better than the 04's have so far, and I'm sure the 02/03 Maxima is capable of better than what that one C/D test got.

I guess only you'll know someday. I don't own an 04 Maxima and don't plan on it. So once you find a driver of an 02/03 with a 6 speed, maybe you can "race" him and find out. But I wouldn't go betting him if I were you!
Geez, I can't believe I took this much time to care