6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 01:08 PM

Fuel gauge

For those of you that have had an issue with the fuel gauge, I was able to recreate the problem for my dealer today.

I left the car in the sun for the morning and when I got in at lunch it was pinned at E. My father borrowed my car and had this issue everyday last week, and he parks outside at work.

I drove it to the dealer and showed them and they are going to fix/replace it as soon as they figure out how

I hope this helps those of you that can't recreate it.

Grant
Old 06-24-2003, 08:33 PM

hmm that is wierd so you are going to tell us what was wrong once it is fixed right?
Old 06-24-2003, 09:15 PM

I can tell you what is wrong now, it is fubared. There is a known problem with the gas gauge sticking. A handful of people have had the issue on the forums, at least one person has had it replaced.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:16 PM

did getting it replaced fix the problem?
Old 06-24-2003, 09:58 PM

Are lot of the people having problem with the fuel gauge problem? Seems like another common problem in the new maximas....for those of you who are having problems, what is nissan doing about it or has anybody gotten it fixed and if so, what was the core of the problem in the first place?? Seems liek the Shimmy in the steering wheel and fuel gauge the two major problems so far...and looks as if Nissan has not been able to resolve this problem so far....or maybe it cannot be fixed until they spend thousand of dollars on a recall.
This is a perfect example of quality of work in the Tennessee Plant compared to that in Japan....hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes
Old 06-25-2003, 04:35 AM

Originally posted by lwebb12
did getting it replaced fix the problem?
It sure did!

Originally posted by 2004MaximaSE5AT
Are lot of the people having problem with the fuel gauge problem? Seems like another common problem in the new maximas....for those of you who are having problems, what is nissan doing about it or has anybody gotten it fixed and if so, what was the core of the problem in the first place?? Seems liek the Shimmy in the steering wheel and fuel gauge the two major problems so far...and looks as if Nissan has not been able to resolve this problem so far....or maybe it cannot be fixed until they spend thousand of dollars on a recall.
This is a perfect example of quality of work in the Tennessee Plant compared to that in Japan....hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes
Once I discovered the problem, my dealer told me to bring it in, making sure I didn't fill the tank. When I brought it in, they connected it to some diagnostic machine and it showed the problem with the needle. They ordered the part which was the whole gauge assembly. This took about a month to come in. Now I have no problems with the gauge. I must note that prior to getting the gauge replaced, whenever it stuck, I just tapped until it registered correctly.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:42 AM

That is what rocks!!!!
Old 06-25-2003, 06:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Blah blah blah...
Old 06-25-2003, 07:00 AM

assembly has nothing to do with the way the guage reads....so leave your pejudice commentsto yourself.....I am from tennessee and their are some of the hardest working people down here. I think you people need to thin before you open your bigg mouths.

I guess their were never any problems with those cars made in japan...no recalls nothing. BS
Old 06-25-2003, 07:58 AM

Ditto Asmitty... Oh, by the way, GO VOLS!!!
Old 06-25-2003, 09:57 AM

I think your jumping to conclusions a tad early......give the 6th gen some time and then it can be judged.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:18 AM

So what you are saying is that these types of issues didn't happen with new models when they were put together in Japan??? I think my Bullsh!t meter is going off the charts!

You are out of control man, this has nothing to do with the car being put together in TN vs Japan and everything to do with it being a new model year.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:20 AM

Dude, I think you have hit a nerve with some of us!!!!
Old 06-25-2003, 10:37 AM

Update-

The dealer called, they want my car for a few days to replace the gauge. As soon as I bring it in they will call the mileage in to the factory and the gauge will ship the same day. It looks like this issue is probably pretty common since the gauge time from factory to dealer is next day now, instead of next month which it was not so long ago when LDLDL had his replaced.

As soon as the dealer has a loaner for me, I will be dropping it off (today or tomorrow).
Old 06-25-2003, 08:32 PM

so that is another plus that they are getting the fixes out quite quickly now.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:45 AM

Originally posted by gmc74
Update-

The dealer called, they want my car for a few days to replace the gauge. As soon as I bring it in they will call the mileage in to the factory and the gauge will ship the same day. It looks like this issue is probably pretty common since the gauge time from factory to dealer is next day now, instead of next month which it was not so long ago when LDLDL had his replaced.

As soon as the dealer has a loaner for me, I will be dropping it off (today or tomorrow).
They didn't trust you to give them the mileage?
Old 06-26-2003, 08:30 AM

I'm guessing the entire gauge cluster including the odometer will be replaced. They need the car in their hands, they call in the current odo setting to the factory, factory then programs the odo on the replacement part to the exact same readout and ships out the part.

This is all done to avoid accusations of odometer tampering I'm sure.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by TDoyle
I'm guessing the entire gauge cluster including the odometer will be replaced. They need the car in their hands, they call in the current odo setting to the factory, factory then programs the odo on the replacement part to the exact same readout and ships out the part.

This is all done to avoid accusations of odometer tampering I'm sure.
That is correct. LDLDL had his replaced, and his dealer just estimated his mileage... looks like my dealer doesn't want to do that. I have no problem with this.

If they were going to need my car for a few weeks, that would be a different story.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:08 PM

the dealer just called and they still don't have a loaner, so they are going to use 50 miles over what it was when I stopped in... I drive 90 miles a day, so that is going to be about 300-500 off when it gets put in
Old 06-26-2003, 08:11 PM

well that isnt a bad deal
Old 06-28-2003, 02:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

fuel gauge

I have had the same problem......I was able to recreate it for the dealer, and they are going to order a brand new instrument panel. Hopefully it doesn't take long, but, I did notice it started when the car was sitting all day in the sun. A quick tap on the top of the gauge solves the problem, but, it's going to be replaced