6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Service Bulletin: Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 12:22 PM

Service Bulletin: Sunroof

If this has been posted before, please excuse me in advance for not seeing it elsewhere. I didn't have time to peruse the Forums at length.

In the three months I've owned my 2004, on two separate occasions I have had to return to the dealership to have the sunroof reset. Forgive me for not being able to convey things technically, as my knowledge of jargon is severely limited, but basically, what happened was that the open switch would stop functioning altogether, and the tilt switch could be pressed repeatedly to open, but not tilt, the glass. The sunroof would also never fully close unless I literally forced it into place with my hand.

After this happened once, the dealership reset the battery to cure the problem and took care of re-entering my preset radio stations. The second time, however, was last week, and my dealer had received a bulletin in mid-June stating that this was a common problem. The service manager corrected the matter by disconnecting the straps at the front part of the roof and twisting them in such a way that they were shortened, and thereby not creating any resistance to the glass as it closed.

Why this fixed the problem, I'm not savvy enough to know or explain. However, since this is the place to go with news about the Maxima, I thought it behooved me to share it in case any of you who bought the sunroof option instead of the Skyview feature were experiencing a similar malady.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the info. It has something to do with the wind deflector not coming down properly, or something like that.

There is something about the twisted straps under the TSB thread that is at the top of the list. But definately share this info, even if you think it has already been shared. I would rather hear it twice then not at all.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the sunroof info. I have the same exact problem with my '04. I've been to the dealer twice, first time they told me the fuse needed replacing and had to reset the computer (which I think was BullS***). The 2nd visit, they told me the entire sunroof motor needed replacing, it's been 6 weeks and still no call back from my dealer (CarMax). So, being the ****ed off consumer at this point, I am switching dealers and never going back to CarMax. I am terified at this point to even open the roof with the "manual" switch because I may not be able to fully close if it rains. THIS REALLy SUCKS ! Hopefully will get some resolution next week at the different dealer.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:52 PM

Saw a defective sun roof

I saw a badly behaving sunroof at the dealer. Those little straps are limiters for how far up the deflector goes. They were spec'd too long. It allowed the wind deflector to go up to far, then it popped over the roof edge and would not come down properly. Then the glass would push and grind against the deflector and was not able to close. I had to go out and push the deflector down by hand before attempting to close again. All the "twist" does is effectively "shorten" the straps.