6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Design Flaw

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 07:57 PM

Design Flaw

I have a 2004 black Maxima SL that is approximately one month old. I've really enjoy my car (it has 3500 mles already), but I noticed one thing that is really strange. If you roll your back windows all the way down while the front windows are up, the wind makes a very loud noise while driving at highway speeds. You can even feel the pressure created by the wind in your ears. I very seldom drive with my windows down especially the back windows, but I did find the experience very annoying. I wonder why this problem was not corrected before the car went into production.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Design Flaw

Originally posted by 2004BlkMaxSL
I have a 2004 black Maxima SL that is approximately one month old. I've really enjoy my car (it has 3500 mles already), but I noticed one thing that is really strange. If you roll your back windows all the way down while the front windows are up, the wind makes a very loud noise while driving at highway speeds. You can even feel the pressure created by the wind in your ears. I very seldom drive with my windows down especially the back windows, but I did find the experience very annoying. I wonder why this problem was not corrected before the car went into production.
Same thing happened in my 2001 BMW 330i.

I guess BMW has a design flaw in the 3-series by your logic?
Old 08-06-2003, 08:11 PM

Its not a design flaw, air going in needs a way to go out, or pressure will build up. With only the rear windows open there is no way for entering air to escape except for where the air entered, which is through the rear windows. That is why you get a pulsating sound. It is the air entering and exiting the vechicle as well as the pressure build up in the vechicle. To eliminate the problem open a front window so the air can escape as it enters. All cars do this for the most part. It is not a flaw, but rather an inherent characteristic of any car design. Hope this helps.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:21 PM

happens on lots of cars. Don't fret
Old 08-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Its much like when you blow across the top of a glass pop bottle. It resonates and makes a noise. Only in this case you are inside the pop bottle. Its a natural phenomenon.

CM.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:38 PM
Moderator GT-R

Re: Design Flaw

Originally posted by 2004BlkMaxSL
It's called buffeting. It is as that CanadianMoFo described it.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by CanadianMoFo
Its much like when you blow across the top of a glass pop bottle. It resonates and makes a noise. Only in this case you are inside the pop bottle. Its a natural phenomenon.

CM.
That reply was smooth as ice...
Old 08-06-2003, 08:40 PM

i saw this exact same post in the Murano forums.....sounds bogus to me...i think someone copied and pasted it. it was the exact same wording.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by TheNip73
Its not a design flaw, air going in needs a way to go out, or pressure will build up. With only the rear windows open there is no way for entering air to escape except for where the air entered, which is through the rear windows. That is why you get a pulsating sound. It is the air entering and exiting the vechicle as well as the pressure build up in the vechicle. To eliminate the problem open a front window so the air can escape as it enters. All cars do this for the most part. It is not a flaw, but rather an inherent characteristic of any car design. Hope this helps.
It creates a low pressure area in the front of the car, much the same way a low pressure area is created behind the windshield of a convertable. That is why your hair blows forward in a convertable.

In my Excursion it was so bad that it actually hurt my ears to have a window in the back seat open with out one of the back corner windows, or front windows open. It is going to happen in any car that has windows that roll down in the back seat.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by gmc74

It creates a low pressure area in the front of the car, much the same way a low pressure area is created behind the windshield of a convertable. That is why your hair blows forward in a convertable.

In my Excursion it was so bad that it actually hurt my ears to have a window in the back seat open with out one of the back corner windows, or front windows open. It is going to happen in any car that has windows that roll down in the back seat.
It seems particularly bad in cars whose rear windows roll all the way down.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had a car with a sunroof that did the same thing if it was open and all the windows were rolled down.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by bluemaxx
It seems particularly bad in cars whose rear windows roll all the way down.
It is just like when High Pressure and Low Pressure weather systems collide, you get wind. High Pressure (the air outside the car when it is moving) wants to go where the Low Pressure is (in the car). My wife still hasn't figured this out. When we are driving the convertable with the top down, if she is cold she will put her window up, and the wind just gets worse because the low pressure area moves from all across the inside of the windshield to the corner where the windshield meets the side window.

The effect is her hair blows forward, and mine doesn't
Old 08-06-2003, 09:24 PM

in reality

Originally posted by TheNip73

That reply was smooth as ice...
"smooth as ice" to my mind,would be a couple of Margaritas and a little Jimmy "Buffet"
Old 08-06-2003, 09:59 PM

I also find it in most cars that have 'all the way roll down rears', but for some reason, i have only noticed it on cars/SUV's that are ellivated. My mom's CR-V does it. my friend and I call it Chopping. It sounds like a Helocopter above ur car. The 6th Gen has a very big roof line, not like an SUV, but bigger then most cars.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:00 PM

Re: in reality

Originally posted by LeoB

"smooth as ice" to my mind,would be a couple of Margaritas and a little Jimmy "Buffet"
If thats what your think your too ****ing old
Old 08-06-2003, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by Asmitty
i saw this exact same post in the Murano forums.....sounds bogus to me...i think someone copied and pasted it. it was the exact same wording.
busted, then again, maybe the murano forums copied us, or...... it might be the same guy posting the same thing
Old 08-07-2003, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by CanadianMoFo

CM.
You'll get the same effect when you have the sunroof partially open at certain postions with windows up.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:21 PM

Nice to see all these intelligent (and correct) answers.

I first noticed this 'problem' in my '49 Studebaked over fifty years ago, and it has been present in every car I have ever owned (including three Maximas), for the exact reasons put forth so eloquently by the responders to this thread.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:50 PM

yeah but.....

Originally posted by lightonthehill
Nice to see all these intelligent (and correct) answers.

I first noticed this 'problem' in my '49 Studebaked over fifty years ago, and it has been present in every car I have ever owned (including three Maximas), for the exact reasons put forth so eloquently by the responders to this thread.
.. it seems that if you happen to recall JIMMY BUFFET, your way too old to be on this site
Old 08-09-2003, 04:26 AM

like jimmy said.....it is called buffeting....nissan is usually pretty good at taking care of this but the murano has the same problem as well...(with the roof open and all windows closed...low speeds)...
Old 08-09-2003, 05:43 PM

it is called physics.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have both the o4 max SE and 03 Murano. This is perfectly normal. My Jag, BMW, Mercedes, they all did it.