6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

'04 really that bad in quality?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 01:15 PM
1 of few unmodded 4G Maxs

'04 really that bad in quality?

Seems like you guys here on the 6th gen. forum have a mixed bag of reviews w/ the '04, ranging from being extremely happy to having a lemon, along w/ so-sudden TSB's, so what I was wondering and considering this is the 1st model year are all of you 6th gen owners having problems w/ your '04s or is just a luck of the draw?
Old 08-13-2003, 02:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: '04 really that bad in quality?

Originally posted by Wht98SE
Seems like you guys here on the 6th gen. forum have a mixed bag of reviews w/ the '04, ranging from being extremely happy to having a lemon, along w/ so-sudden TSB's, so what I was wondering and considering this is the 1st model year are all of you 6th gen owners having problems w/ your '04s or is just a luck of the draw?
I have no problems. This car is great!
Old 08-13-2003, 02:41 PM

Just got mine yesterday, haven't had any problems yet.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:10 PM
DiRtY ThIrTy

love it

Old 08-13-2003, 03:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think that as with any new car there are going to be some small problems in the first year of production. As well there are bound to be a few lemons out there.

Only time will tell wether its a good platform or not. The issues I have with mine are really rather minor overall. Just annoying little rattles here and there. And to be honest I haven't been back to the dealer to have them repaired either. Most of the things that people are complaining about can be checked by the buyer prior to delivery and dealt with right then and there.

All in all its a great car. I grin like a psycho every time I run it to the redline in 2nd and then 3rd out on the highway. Love the sound of that engine.

CM.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:37 PM

I have had a few minor issues, but nothing out of the ordinary for a new model year. The biggest issue is the availability of replacement parts, which is partially because of the new model year and partially because they are way behind schedule due to a hail storm that damaged a few thousand cars.

All in all, most people have had a good experience.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:42 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by CanadianMoFo
I think that as with any new car there are going to be some small problems in the first year of production. As well there are bound to be a few lemons out there.

Only time will tell wether its a good platform or not. The issues I have with mine are really rather minor overall. Just annoying little rattles here and there. And to be honest I haven't been back to the dealer to have them repaired either. Most of the things that people are complaining about can be checked by the buyer prior to delivery and dealt with right then and there.

All in all its a great car. I grin like a psycho every time I run it to the redline in 2nd and then 3rd out on the highway. Love the sound of that engine.

CM.
Dito what you said.
I've had some problems and I love this car.
It was fun having the only one on the block for a while. I knew when I bought mine that they were built by a crew of new employees, working in a new plant, building a new model. If the 2005 cars have the same problems, then I may be tempted to call BS.
If the 2006 is as much better than the 2004 as the 2003 was better than the 2000, I'll probably go sign up for a 2006 AE if they make one.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:03 PM

i was one of the biggest complainers...i got a new 04 max to replace my lemon 04 max...i love the new car...no problems...i have 1500 miles on it and i can't believe that i fell in love with the car...i never believed people actually love to drive...but i am one of those people now.

the sting is still there from how nissan handled the situation...people out there probably think i should be grateful for nissan giving me a new car...or that for the first model year we should accept problems..i think those people are too generous...nissan should expect these problems and handle them properly by treating the customer with respect:

1)have parts ready to repair new cars
2)return phone calls
3)don't wait for customers to get advice from message boards like this or to the extreme of calling lawyers.

the list goes on...but the bottom line is: don't say customer satisfaction is important to nissan, if you are going to treat the customer like an idiot.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:07 AM

Something we all need to remember is this: You may see a few postings about problems with the car and that's normal, we're just informing our fellow Maxima owners of things to look for (much appreciated). However, if we all posted the millions of things we loved about the car there would be a new thread started every 10 seconds. Like for instance how much I love the amount of room in the back seats...damn it's roomy and comfortable in the back, I wish i had an auto pilot.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:59 PM

The only real issue with my 04 Opulence Red SE is the Navigation System. It does not pick up the GPS signal and will not allow the time to be set. The dealer ordered a new Navigaton Computer two weeks ago...

Other than that it is a great car and fun to drive. I also learned how to adjust the seat. At first the seat was not comfortable to me. I am used to having my seat low to the floor. In this car the seat bottom moves apart from the seat back. When I raised the seat bottom up so that I sit higher, the seat back fits perfectly. I also have no annoying glare now from the top of the dash because I sit higher.

Still trying to get used to manual shifting with the auto-stick. What's the trick to that?
Old 08-15-2003, 04:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Couldn't agree more. I have a problem with a front axle, somehow the boot got damaged and let all the grease out, very simple solution, replace it. Parts are not available for 9 weeks now. Called Nissan USA on dealers recomendation, they told me they are busy building new cars and I will have to wait. Lies to me about when they will be available, don't call back.... Enough of Nissan

Originally posted by mikenatas
i was one of the biggest complainers...i got a new 04 max to replace my lemon 04 max...i love the new car...no problems...i have 1500 miles on it and i can't believe that i fell in love with the car...i never believed people actually love to drive...but i am one of those people now.

the sting is still there from how nissan handled the situation...people out there probably think i should be grateful for nissan giving me a new car...or that for the first model year we should accept problems..i think those people are too generous...nissan should expect these problems and handle them properly by treating the customer with respect:

1)have parts ready to repair new cars
2)return phone calls
3)don't wait for customers to get advice from message boards like this or to the extreme of calling lawyers.

the list goes on...but the bottom line is: don't say customer satisfaction is important to nissan, if you are going to treat the customer like an idiot.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by tonywinsc
Still trying to get used to manual shifting with the auto-stick. What's the trick to that?
You mean, shifting before it shifts for you? The sportshift is absolutely useless for shifting at a higher RPM than normal D. Maybe not ABSOLUTELY useless, but it seems to me like it provides no better performance in SportShift than in plain D. Better off to leave it normal D, unless your rolling along and someone comes up beside you and you want to be in 2nd or 1st gear.

Actually, this is the first car with a SportShift that I have driven that doesn't hold each gear to the rev limiter. I understand what gmc74 said about it being "idiot proof" but damn! Any normal truck (Silverado, my Lightning, etc.) and even cars, when the shifter is put in a certain gear, if it goes into that gear (if you aren't going to fast), it will stay in that gear until you change it. You could drive 10 miles at 35mph with it bouncing off the limiter in 1st gear.

Why can't OUR sportshift do this? I've driven a GS Eclipse with the "SportShift" and it would hold each gear if I wanted it to. The SL auto doesn't have the SportShift, but it holds each gear to the rev limiter (I know because I heard the one my friend was driving hit the limiter 3 times in 1st and once in 2nd)

Hell, it's named "SportShift", why doesn't it act like one? They should put it in the SL, and put the SL shifter in the SE. Or just make the damn SportShift act like a REAL SportShift!

Sorry about the rant, I know, "Should've bought a 6-spd if you wanted to hold the gears!" I'm 6'7" with shoes on, and my legs are extremely long. Everyday driving a manual in a car won't happen. I love driving manual cars, and if it was physically possible, I'd drive one everyday, but my feet are way too big and legs are way too long to drive one all the time.

I just want a damn SportShift that acts like one!
Old 08-15-2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by QuikSilver04

You mean, shifting before it shifts for you? The sportshift is absolutely useless for shifting at a higher RPM than normal D. Maybe not ABSOLUTELY useless, but it seems to me like it provides no better performance in SportShift than in plain D. Better off to leave it normal D, unless your rolling along and someone comes up beside you and you want to be in 2nd or 1st gear.

Actually, this is the first car with a SportShift that I have driven that doesn't hold each gear to the rev limiter. I understand what gmc74 said about it being "idiot proof" but damn! Any normal truck (Silverado, my Lightning, etc.) and even cars, when the shifter is put in a certain gear, if it goes into that gear (if you aren't going to fast), it will stay in that gear until you change it. You could drive 10 miles at 35mph with it bouncing off the limiter in 1st gear.

Why can't OUR sportshift do this? I've driven a GS Eclipse with the "SportShift" and it would hold each gear if I wanted it to. The SL auto doesn't have the SportShift, but it holds each gear to the rev limiter (I know because I heard the one my friend was driving hit the limiter 3 times in 1st and once in 2nd)

Hell, it's named "SportShift", why doesn't it act like one? They should put it in the SL, and put the SL shifter in the SE. Or just make the damn SportShift act like a REAL SportShift!

Sorry about the rant, I know, "Should've bought a 6-spd if you wanted to hold the gears!" I'm 6'7" with shoes on, and my legs are extremely long. Everyday driving a manual in a car won't happen. I love driving manual cars, and if it was physically possible, I'd drive one everyday, but my feet are way too big and legs are way too long to drive one all the time.

I just want a damn SportShift that acts like one!
Did you not test out the shifter prior to purchase?
Old 08-15-2003, 11:13 AM

All of them do it...
Old 08-15-2003, 01:13 PM

very few manumatics are different then this one, I am not sure what you really expected it to do.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:14 PM

All of them do it...
Yes, I realize all of them shift this way. What I meant was did you not test the manumatic in the 04 Max prior to purchase since it seems to be so important to you. ( that it shifts only when manually) It seems this is really upsetting to you and since the 04 max 5spd auto "shifts for you" I'm surprised you are making such a big deal about it now. I am surprised to hear the 5spd tranny shifts like this.......heck the auto tranny in my 4runner will hold a shift to readline......unitl it is manually shifted Seems Nissan took the sporty out of the 04 auto (5spd) Maximas
Old 08-16-2003, 06:28 AM

Re: Re: '04 really that bad in quality?

I donot have one problem with my 04..I drove many cars before buying the Maxima....I actually drove the Maxima as an afterthought...Just to make sure I drove all of contenders....Wow....I fell in love with this car from the first drive..(*better than the Accord even)") or Camry....The body is rock solid,ridess like a dream (SL luxury tuned ride,,I am old ....The engine is whisper quiet..(one of the 10 best engines I read)....If this car stays together have as well as it is now I will still be thrilled...Plus I just installed the XM radio kit that is now available thru Nissan parts dept...love the sat radio.....If I sound like I love this car....I do....Plus this car is seriously quick..
Old 08-16-2003, 06:49 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by gmc74
very few manumatics are different then this one, I am not sure what you really expected it to do.
VW's is better IMHO. It's not the greatest overall, but it's better than the 6th Gen's POS idea of a sport shifter...

Now a chipped Tiptronic (VW) is the absolute bomb! That thing is basically a clutchless manual at that point (except you have a TQ converter).
Old 08-17-2003, 09:31 AM

I've got 7,000 + miles on my 04 SL and just love it. The only problem I had was the damn Nav screen, but the new one installed in spotless. The car is solid, quiet, fast, sporty looking etc. What's not to like?The one thing that does concern me are all the news stories about how theives are looking for our Xenon headlights and destroying the front end to get them. The thing that I've found funny is that many of these stories start out by saying "Thieves are stealing the new Xenon headlights from luxury cars such as the new Nissan Maxima, BMW, Lexus...". This must drive Biemer owners nuts to hear the Maxima mixed in the same bag with the BMW as a "luxury car". Tee hee. But hell, it IS.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Maxima04
I've got 7,000 + miles on my 04 SL and just love it. The only problem I had was the damn Nav screen, but the new one installed in spotless. The car is solid, quiet, fast, sporty looking etc. What's not to like?The one thing that does concern me are all the news stories about how theives are looking for our Xenon headlights and destroying the front end to get them. The thing that I've found funny is that many of these stories start out by saying "Thieves are stealing the new Xenon headlights from luxury cars such as the new Nissan Maxima, BMW, Lexus...". This must drive Biemer owners nuts to hear the Maxima mixed in the same bag with the BMW as a "luxury car". Tee hee. But hell, it IS.

So are you saying 6th gen HID's are being stolen? I have not heard of any 6th gen? I previously thought this was a 5th gen problem only? It will be only a matter of time before 6th gens are hit......Even if 6th gen are more difficult to remove thieves will be thieves unfortunately.....
Old 08-17-2003, 11:36 AM

Jake, that's what the news services are reporting, at least in the N.Y. area. Maximas, BMSs and Lexus' are the prime targets.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:19 PM

I have not heard of one person that has had their 04 lights stolen. What is more likely is that the 03's are getting stolen and the news reporters aren't smart/informed enough to tell the difference. If someone says "My new Maxima lights were stolen", is that an 03 or an 04? Most likely this is just reported wrong. If this was such a big problem, someone here would have experienced it.

Jake, you have a sport shifter in your 4runner? I don't think so. A regular auto with PRND32 is a bit different than a sport shifter.
Old 08-17-2003, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by gmc74
I have not heard of one person that has had their 04 lights stolen. What is more likely is that the 03's are getting stolen and the news reporters aren't smart/informed enough to tell the difference. If someone says "My new Maxima lights were stolen", is that an 03 or an 04? Most likely this is just reported wrong. If this was such a big problem, someone here would have experienced it.

Jake, you have a sport shifter in your 4runner? I don't think so. A regular auto with PRND32 is a bit different than a sport shifter.

Regardless of the type of shifter, I'm still surprised to hear the auto tranny in the 04 Max will not hold the shift until shifted manually. Years ago I had a 84 Hurst/Olds that definately had a "sport shifter"..........Hurst Lightening Rods to be exact, and guess what that auto tranny shifted only when manually shifted.
My point is again I am just surprised the 5 spd auto in the 04 works the way it does. Why the heck did Nissan install a sport shifter if it doesnt matter if you use it or not. Just more proof........folks if you want to shift gears.......get the 6spd.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:05 AM

I agree, if you want a manual transmission, get a manual, not a manumatic. Almost every car, and I know there are a few out there that are different, that has a manumatic will shift for you. If you are talking a straight auto (like in your 4runner), that is a different transmission completely and is designed to do it differently.

I still think you asked the most important question yet, why the hell did they (whom ever is upset about it) not test it first? I happen to like it, I don't use it as a manual, in fact, I don't really use it at all... I use it to engine break, and when I want to shoot a gap that isn't there yet, I will put it into the gear I want and wait for it to open so the throttle response is quicker, that is about it.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:15 AM

I know, "Should've bought a 6-spd if you wanted to hold the gears!" I'm 6'7" with shoes on, and my legs are extremely long. Everyday driving a manual in a car won't happen. I love driving manual cars, and if it was physically possible, I'd drive one everyday, but my feet are way too big and legs are way too long to drive one all the time.

That's why I don't have a 6-spd.

JAKE02: Yes, I knew it didn't hold the gears before I bought the car. I'm just disappointed that Nissan would do this to their "sporty" sedan. I'm betting that someone will find out how to make them stick, so I'm not that "mad" about it. I think it's fine, it would be faster if I could drive it the way I wanted to though...
Old 08-19-2003, 08:58 PM

I have 4k miles on mine. There are a number of minor issues, but the car goes in for its first oil change tomorrow and the dealer can hopefully fix them: wind noise in front of passenger seat, occasional squeal from ?, center console rattle, loud ventilation system, center console latch needs to be slammed to engage.

Sadly, the dealer cannot fix the car's major flaw - the software and ergonomics suck. Don't get me started now - once I write my letter to Nissan USA, I will post it here also. Bottom line - it's obvious that the folks who designed the software never once used it or even spoke with anyone who did.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:58 PM

I think the ergonomics are great, what don't you like?
Old 08-20-2003, 04:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dont bother with Nissan USA, they are the worst organization I have ever had contact with after 23 new cars and trucks in 30 years. In my opinion thye are incapable of providing the service they should provide.

Originally posted by groston
I have 4k miles on mine. There are a number of minor issues, but the car goes in for its first oil change tomorrow and the dealer can hopefully fix them: wind noise in front of passenger seat, occasional squeal from ?, center console rattle, loud ventilation system, center console latch needs to be slammed to engage.

Sadly, the dealer cannot fix the car's major flaw - the software and ergonomics suck. Don't get me started now - once I write my letter to Nissan USA, I will post it here also. Bottom line - it's obvious that the folks who designed the software never once used it or even spoke with anyone who did.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:21 AM

I've got two new cars, my 04 Maxima SL and my 03 Cobra. To be honest, the 29K Maxima is the better car, quality wise. The paint is solid, the quality is top notch, and I haven't had a single problem (knock on wood). Great car IMHO. My Cobra has some minor quality issues, crappy paint that chips easily, and stalls if driven a certain way. I do not trust Ford to fix any of the problems on the car, too many bad experiences with Ford service recently (I've owned nothing but Ford since 93). I've got to say for the price, the Maxima is probably the best car I've owned.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got to tell you - that many of the problems are NISSAN quality and their service (or lack of it) just adds to the problem. Some problems they have never fixed, year after year - like rear deck rattles (BOSE system), wind noise and overall interior QUALITY. It's time to look somewhere else. After 5 Maximas and 1 Sentra I have decided not to give Nissan any more of my hard earned $$$ in the future.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:31 AM

maybe it has something to do with the fact that the '04s are built over here and the previous years it was built in Japan...hmmmm....
Old 11-18-2003, 07:00 AM

"Why the heck did Nissan install a sport shifter if it doesnt matter if you use it or not. Just more proof........folks if you want to shift gears.......get the 6spd." Sport shifters don't matter by definition anyway! They are for people who want to feel included in the car but can't be bothered to drive a manual. They never served any other purpose.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:39 AM

My breaks started squeaking at 600 miles. They still squeak at 1,500 and now the car is pulling to the left with a rubbing noise occuring . Back to the shop again.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:14 PM

[QUOTE]I've got two new cars, my 04 Maxima SL and my 03 Cobra. To be honest, the 29K Maxima is the better car, quality wise. The paint is solid, the quality is top notch, and I haven't had a single problem (knock on wood). Great car IMHO. My Cobra has some minor quality issues, crappy paint that chips easily, and stalls if driven a certain way. I do not trust Ford to fix any of the problems on the car, too many bad experiences with Ford service recently (I've owned nothing but Ford since 93). I've got to say for the price, the Maxima is probably the best car I've owned.

The Cobra is an awesome fast car. But quality wise, anything is better just about. So of course the Max will be better,
Old 12-02-2003, 08:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I loved my 04 max for about 1,400 miles. Then something went awry in the engine which Nissan won't acknowledge and now it has sluggish acceleration at normal driving speeds with a slight vibration and increased noise. I understand that new cars have minor problems, but it is disheartening to have a $30K automobile encounter engine problems before the time for the first recommended oil change. If you are considering the 04 Maxima, I suggest you look elsewhere. This is my fifth Nissan and likely my last.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The sportshifter comes in very handy when I'm going down a 4 mile decent and dont want to ride the brakes! I say let the gears and engine do the work and save the brakes. Same goes for climing!!!
Old 12-02-2003, 04:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Fairwayman
The sportshifter comes in very handy when I'm going down a 4 mile decent and dont want to ride the brakes! I say let the gears and engine do the work and save the brakes. Same goes for climing!!!
That makes perfect sense.

Put more wear and tear on your engine and tranny. After all brakeing is what the engine and tranny were made for.

CM.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:49 PM

Gas is cheaper the brake pads and rotors, and if Maxima is like G35, it will be eating brake pads and rotors for breakfast.

Nissan is famous for flimsy brakes. They work fine, but don't last long.