6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

self resetting or learning ses light

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 04:53 PM

self resetting or learning ses light

my ses light came on when i first installed the intake and i just noticed that it goes off again im geussing it adjusted itself to whatever it thouth was the problem but anyhow it still runs awesome with the intake. does anyone know if it does atomatically adjust the air to fuel mixture?
Old 08-18-2003, 06:46 AM

When I was at the track the other night, I took out my air filter for two runs and when I went to leave, it acted like the engine shutoff, but it didn't. It would only idle, then I noticed my SES light on. I pulled off the road and turned it off, put the air filter back in, cranked it up and drove it an hour back home and it ran fine. Last night (haven't driven it since Fri. night) I got in it to go get gas (* showing on the DTE) and before I could get down my road, it started doing it again. I can't even drive it to the dealer, so I called my friend at the dealership and told him to send the rollback after it. He was with me at the track so he knew what it was doing. Had to drive the 99 GT to work instead...

IMO, I'd put your stock airbox back on, take it to the dealership before it start doing this too, get them to fix the SES light. Then we need to find out what to unplug so that all of them don't do this when we start putting intakes on them...
Old 08-18-2003, 09:25 AM

UPDATE: Nissan said that the car is going into Safe-Mode, because of one of several reasons, one being a sensor has gone out, another is the fuel filter is leaking or improperly installed, and last, but definitely the cause of the problem, the air filter was removed.

So I suggest that, unless you want you car to start stalling on you, you find out where that little sensor is that detects you've tinkered with the intake...

Careful though, I sense that you couldn't squeeze a wet noodle through Nissan's *** when it comes to warranty, so I wouldn't tell them you've been messing with it. My friend came and picked it up earlier and took it to work, and the service manager was all questioning him about why it was doing this, since he was with me. He fed 'em some BS to get them off my back, so I'd be careful, unless you know the service guy or something like that