6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Changing the Amber Display, is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 11:08 AM

Changing the Amber Display, is it possible?

I'd really be interested in finding a way to change the amber colors on the info center and possibly the instrument cluster. What do you guys think about the amber color and would you change it if you could? I can't imagine that it would too complicated to pull this off. Surely someone in here is a computer guru. I'm not sure what color I'd like to see but possibly a blue screen or multi-colored if possible.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:54 AM
Zog

The instrument cluster probably wouldn't be that hard, people have done it on other gen's. As far as the screen, I think you're SOL. IIRC the screen is like an LCD sort of like an alarm clock, you may have to find a model of screen with blue or green or another standard type color, but I think it'd be counterproductive to even try. Good luck though!
Old 08-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by zoggfatha
The instrument cluster probably wouldn't be that hard, people have done it on other gen's. As far as the screen, I think you're SOL. IIRC the screen is like an LCD sort of like an alarm clock, you may have to find a model of screen with blue or green or another standard type color, but I think it'd be counterproductive to even try. Good luck though!
The orange gauges don't bother me.
One of my biggest knocks on the '04 is the suck orange center display. It's all but useless in most bright sunlight conditions. No self respecting $10 digital watch would have such a lousy display. The display on my electric range blows this one away.
As far as I'm concerned, on the POS scale, the display ranks up there with the grille.
Old 08-22-2003, 03:44 PM

Yeah I dunno what made them decide to go with a color that washes out in certain situations.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:46 AM

Any color scheme is going to wash out in the sun or be too bright at night... They should have included a day night contrast switch like with the nav system. Only time that washes out is during the day when direct sun hits it. When shaded by the roof, it is fine.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by zear0
Any color scheme is going to wash out in the sun or be too bright at night... They should have included a day night contrast switch like with the nav system. Only time that washes out is during the day when direct sun hits it. When shaded by the roof, it is fine.
There is a day/night contrast switch. You can change between day and night and also adjust the brightness. The brightness doesn't bother me but I'd still be really interested in changing the colors. Oh well, looks like I'm probably stuck with it.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:08 AM

I haven't noticed any issues with the display during the day, and I live in Arizona where the sun is as bright as it gets.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by bluemaxx

The orange gauges don't bother me.
One of my biggest knocks on the '04 is the suck orange center display. It's all but useless in most bright sunlight conditions. No self respecting $10 digital watch would have such a lousy display. The display on my electric range blows this one away.
As far as I'm concerned, on the POS scale, the display ranks up there with the grille.
I think the problem lies in the position of the display. Its at the top of the console and tilts back somewhat. On sunny days the display seems like its always getting washed out by the sun. I think if they had put a small (1 inch maybe) piece of plastic that came out over the top of the display like a small visor and/or set the display further back into the console it would have helped a lot.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:37 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally posted by Blue04SEinIL

I think the problem lies in the position of the display. Its at the top of the console and tilts back somewhat. On sunny days the display seems like its always getting washed out by the sun. I think if they had put a small (1 inch maybe) piece of plastic that came out over the top of the display like a small visor and/or set the display further back into the console it would have helped a lot.
Yes, an extra inch is all I need.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by bluemaxx
Yes, an extra inch is all I need.
Hahaha, pretty good I might say

I was actually thinking of mounting a folding 7" LCD screen on the dash right above the nav screen. Not sure about it getting washed out, I'll just have to make it where I can swivel it forward to keep the sun off it. I don't think a color screen would be as bad as this ick orange color nav screen.