6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

'04 Max SE finishes dead last in sport sedan comparison...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 04:16 AM

I think that post summed all this crap up!

Thanks lightonthehill!
Old 09-17-2003, 07:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Those suggesting the Maxima is now aimed at an older clientel are correct if talking about the Maxima tested in the article - the SL. It is specifically aimed at folks who want a little softer ride at some sacrafice of handling and general performance. It is the perfect car for those who plan on making lots of freeway trips, or do mostly normal driving, and aren't into agressive driving.

The SE, however, is not aimed at old folks. It is very responsive, and can be driven hard on highways or byways. It adapts well to agressive driving.

From my point of view, the selection of this set of cars for this test is a total joke. Comparing of cars varying by over half a thousand pounds in weight, and differing in interior room by more than twenty-five percent is meaningless.

There are several cars here that I would not pay $100 for. I'm not interested in a cramped hot rod that turns on a dime, but breaks my teeth on every bump.

Not relavent to the test, but some of these cars in the test would not impress me sitting in a driveway. Many of them could drive by and draw no look from anyone. The '04 Maxima impresses me anywhere and everywhere I see it. I see other folks looking hard at the new Max also.
Are we talking about the same magazine? I mean the Automobile magazine I have says Nissan Maxima SE not SL. It is mentioned several times in the article. So your comment on the SL being tested is incorrect. But your views is valid.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by BluFlame
mazda6/IS300/Saab/GTP/TSX are all FWD and all did better than Max.
also take note: G35 3rd place.
no im pretty sure the is300 is rwd...
Old 09-17-2003, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by maxmale
no im pretty sure the is300 is rwd...
Correct, the IS300 is RWD.
Old 06-27-2004, 03:40 PM

It's all subjective to your needs

I wonder if told to pick one of those cars to take home free-of-charge, how many of the same reviewers take home the Acura ??
Old 06-27-2004, 04:03 PM

How is it the TSX comes in first? I tested a TSX before I went with my Max, frankly I think the TSX is a Civic with style, but that's it. A G35 is not in the same league as the Acura, and the Grand Prix just felt cheap when I drove that. Sorry this is an article I'm glad to have missed.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Most of those cars are much smaller and more nimble, and most are RWD or AWD, not FWD. I don't even know why the Maxima and GTP were included.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Mazda 6s FWD?
If that's the case, 5 of the 12 cars are FWD. How could you say "most" are RWD or AWD. Don't mean to sound like a troll, but the fact is that the Maxima has become:
1. Too big (size)
2. Too fat (weight)
3. Too expensive
4. Not that great of a handler
5. Too much torque steer

Other than having pretty decent straight ahead speed, for the money, I too would of put is near the bottom of the list. But probably ahead of the GTP.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

First and foremost the Maxima is not a car that is meant to be compared to an EVO. If I wanted a car that acted/performed like an EVO I would have bought one. The Maxima gets praised in the article for what it is good at (Ex/ The highway performance/ off ramps etc.) Yes the Maxima can handle well if taken to its limits but It is not meant to run against half of these cars. Will the Maxima Smoke 90% of these cars 0-60 Yes, but the comparision is still off base. The article does not credit the cars total package as people have spoke of. It carries 5 people comfortable and quickly to whatever destination is in mind. It is reliable and stylish. Last Place overall I do not think so. Everyone needs to keep in mind that the Maxima is not a race car and because of such, when it is compared it needs all of its attributes to be considered. You want speed, the Maxima will deliver. You want the ride to be comfortable, the Maxima will deliver. You want reliablity, the Maxima will deliver. You want Class, the Maxima Will deliver. I am sure everyone understands what I am getting at. Don't take some Bogus article that completely distorts the bigger picture of this great car as fact.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by NICKSE
First and foremost the Maxima is not a car that is meant to be compared to an EVO. If I wanted a car that acted/performed like an EVO I would have bought one. The Maxima gets praised in the article for what it is good at (Ex/ The highway performance/ off ramps etc.) Yes the Maxima can handle well if taken to its limits but It is not meant to run against half of these cars. Will the Maxima Smoke 90% of these cars 0-60 Yes, but the comparision is still off base. The article does not credit the cars total package as people have spoke of. It carries 5 people comfortable and quickly to whatever destination is in mind. It is reliable and stylish. Last Place overall I do not think so. Everyone needs to keep in mind that the Maxima is not a race car and because of such, when it is compared it needs all of its attributes to be considered. You want speed, the Maxima will deliver. You want the ride to be comfortable, the Maxima will deliver. You want reliablity, the Maxima will deliver. You want Class, the Maxima Will deliver. I am sure everyone understands what I am getting at. Don't take some Bogus article that completely distorts the bigger picture of this great car as fact.
If you didn't hit this on the head, I don't believe they ever set foot on the moon. What I considered is when I got my 04max, regardless of what the reject race car drivers say:
My bang for My buck keyword "MY"
Most driving locations: Hwy85,75 i24 driving and some stop lights on Pleasant Hill. (seen my share of g35s,cts',ricers,gtps,occasional a/s4, not yet a 04 tl)
Enough car to hold her own on all. Never been embarrassed. Not a race thread.
Driving conditions:For a whole month it's been raining like and fwd I love it yes even w/ the faded out tq steer.
Size: My wife and two kids, oh so roomy!!!!
Style: "Hey that's a nice looking car", "Oooh, I love that color" btw orange pumpkin. Too many copliments to list.
Engine==we need not to say anymore.
Get what is best for you or if you're a no brainer read the mags then choose.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:18 PM

Good posts, NICKSE and rnupetroop.

Of the strange assortment of cars tested, other than the Maxima, I only drove the G35. The others were not suitable for my needs. I frequenty find I have my wife, son, daughter and son-in-law in the car with me, and we are all full-size adults. I also drove the TL, but don't see it listed in the test.

The G35 is a beautifully designed car, and impressed me very much. But the Maxima felt roomier to me, both in front and back seats. It gave me a feeling of space I did not get in the G35. I also felt the Maxima styling was very attractive, and even more eye-catching than the G35.

Best of all, I was able to deal better with the Nissan folks than the Infiniti folks.

The primary Maxima criticism of some of the mags a year ago was the torque steer. I tested a new 6 speed the month the '04 Maxima came out, and noticed some torque steer, but nothing that bothered me. The '04 SL I bought has never exhibited the first trace of torque steer.

Critics also ridicule the '4 door sport sedan' terminology as no longer applicable. It just so happens that when Nissan took the Maxima to the near-luxury level (with the intro of the '04), they dropped the '4 door sports sedan' from their advertising.

I can only smile when I think about how that particular assemblage of vehicles were chosen for comparison. Somebody was clearly uninformed, and evidently did not have time to become informed.

But the deadline for printing required that something fill the pages. Too bad the tests only prove that apples edged oranges, with bananas nudging rutabagas for third. Okra and BBQ had no chance.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You guys, it's just a comparison. Depending on their criteria, any one of the twelve could have been first. If it were a pure performnace test, the EVO hands down would be on top of the list.

Like you guys are saying, if they did not post a lot of info on thier criteria, then it could have been anything that made the TSX number one.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:04 AM

how the hell did the 200hp fwd tsx beat a max and even a awd evo and wrx. this is messed up, i know evo and wrx would burn a max, but a tsx?