6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cornering Lights - what's the point?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 06:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Cornering Lights - what's the point?

I read the manual tonight and it confirmed what I thought, the so-called "cornering lights" only come on when you use the turn signal. Is it just me or does this seem pretty worthless? First of all, if you are signaling, that means you're either just changing lanes or you are going slow enough to not need a cornering light to turn. Why didnt Nissan just make these lights respond to how much you turn the wheel, and the lights automatically come on when you turn the wheel enough, or a combination of wheel rotation and speed. I would think cornering lights would be a great help, say driving at night on a windy mountain road, where you need to be able to see a little better around curves. I'm definitely not going to be signaling when I go around a bend just so I can see a little easier. Am I the only one that thinks this is a cool feature that they just didn't get right?
Old 11-19-2003, 07:37 PM

be careful man...there are a lot people that love the lights...i am with you on the lights...i am more for looks than function...why not put the cornering lights in the headlight housing, and put the foglights where they are supposed to be...

or just forget about the cornering lights...

i have a double whammy, cuz any light on the car has to be at least 12" off of the ground to be legal...if i drop the car at all, my car will be illegal with those stoopid cornering lights...
Old 11-19-2003, 08:16 PM

I think they ar helpful when you are driving out of the city on the country roads. NOT worthless in my opinion unless you live in the city.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by chrisaust
Is it just me or does this seem pretty worthless?
No, they are not useless.

First of all, if you are signaling, that means you're either just changing lanes or you are going slow enough to not need a cornering light to turn.
What about at night? I can attest that cornering lights are great when you're turning at night and being able to see where the curb is is great. Not to mention any unseen road obstacles on the shoulder that you wish you could see (large rocks on the shoulder, metal/wood poles/rods/bars, construction debris, etc)

Why didnt Nissan just make these lights respond to how much you turn the wheel, and the lights automatically come on when you turn the wheel enough, or a combination of wheel rotation and speed. I would think cornering lights would be a great help, say driving at night on a windy mountain road, where you need to be able to see a little better around curves. I'm definitely not going to be signaling when I go around a bend just so I can see a little easier. Am I the only one that thinks this is a cool feature that they just didn't get right?
If you are willing to pay the money for $1000-2000/unit headlamp housings with directional projectors, steering sensors, reliable motors, etc, let's gladly tack on a few grand to the sticker price and see how many people will appreciate these ideal headlamps.

Cost vs value ... end user will pay for the frills. You might be willing to pay $3k for headlamps but many more will not be. My 0.02.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:20 PM

What I'm saying I dont think should be too hard. Just like how when your turn signal is on and as you straighten out of a turn it automatically clicks off, the same could be done for these lights, but the opposite. When the steering wheel is turned a certain amount, the lights come on. This would be great for making a turn onto another street or just a windy mountain road. When you straighten back out, they turn off.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:45 PM

Not useless, but they could have implemented them better.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:34 PM

Why not just wire them up to were they are both on when the headlights are on and dont blink. with some better and brighter hyperwhite bulbs. I think that would also look very sweet as well.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:26 AM

I like 'em...

I've found the cornering lights quite useful on very dark rural roads!
Old 11-20-2003, 08:53 AM

I like the cornering lights, however miss having the foglights down below. I can't really notice that big of a difference with the fogs on vs. without them.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:20 AM

Before I bought my car, I wasn't sure how "useful" the cornering lights would be. But they definitely come in handy on a dark road at night.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:26 AM

Yes they do come in handy on dark roads, but I would just think they would be MORE handy if you didn't have to use your turn signal to activate them. And yes, the fog lights are utterly worthless where they are, the whole point of a "fog" light is to be as low to the ground as possible to illuminate the road and not just bright fog. The cornering lights are a great idea, but yes, they were just not implemented as good as they could have been.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by CSlam
I like the cornering lights, however miss having the foglights down below. I can't really notice that big of a difference with the fogs on vs. without them.
Yes, I too would have preferred the fogs in the lower fascia.... but I was surprised to find that the light from the '04 fogs is actually more noticeable than expected. Easier to notice the difference on darker, unlit roads.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:16 AM

This would be great for making a turn onto another street or just a windy mountain road. When you straighten back out, they turn off.
They already do this. You just have to use your blinkers...which you should already be doing if you're turning onto another street.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Someone who is electrically inclined should be able to wire up a relay to the fog lights to give power to the cornering lights when the fogs have power.

Of course this would only work for the few of us who only use our fog lights when there is fog. Other wise having those lights on all the time will be annoying for oncoming drivers.

CM.