6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

350Z vs. 04 Max headlights

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 05:46 PM

350Z vs. 04 Max headlights

My 04 Max has the Xenon HID headlights, and I had the priviledge of driving right next to a new 350Z on the way home last night. There is an obvious difference between the color the headlights give off on the Z and the ones on the Max. The Z headlights have a distinctinve bluish tint, while the Max lights are clearly more of a bright white. Does anyone know if the Z lights use different technology than the Max? I was under the impression that they both had the HIDs, which would have given both lights roughly the same color.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the Z proboably had different bulbs like the KOPS D2S 6000k
Old 11-28-2003, 09:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Z and Maxima use the same Bulbs. Maxima use Projection headlight systems.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:00 PM

thats odd, cause my lights look exatly the same as a Z, was beside one yesterday, and we looked...funny you just poseted that......
Old 11-29-2003, 06:16 AM

I have seen bought cars on coming.

Max starts out with a deep purple look, then gets lighter until its a clean very light blue.

Z istarts out medium blue to a clean very light blue.

If you look at both cars close-up they look very light almost just a clear white.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:11 AM

The 04 Max Xenon HID headlights are intensely bright! The other night I noticed a very bright set of HID's approaching from the opposing direction on a long stretch of a 3 lane dark highway. Many other headlights in the bunch of oncomming cars, including 2 other pairs of HID's.... but one pair by far really stood out in brightness and color. As the cars passed me, I saw the car with the awesome HID's was the 04 Max!
Old 11-29-2003, 07:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

One thing that happens a lot to me is oncoming cars flashing their lights at me to knock mine back to low beam.
Everytime this has happened, I have already been on low beam.
I have even had cars pull over on to the shoulder of the road ( dark country back roads ) till I had passed by.
Had dealer check the aiming of the lights and he said they were perfect.
Is anyone else having the same situation taking place???
Old 11-29-2003, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by BIGGUY
I have even had cars pull over on to the shoulder of the road ( dark country back roads ) till I had passed by.?
There's the problem... dark country roads! Serious! Anything out of the ordinary drives past they go into panic mode and pull over or wave you past. When some bugger hits me with their high beams (cause they think mine are on high), I zap em back with the high beams. Once the light hits em, they usually weave a little bit cause they're not expecting it to be even brighter.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:48 PM

People in your area just not be used to HID's yet. I remember a few years ago that would happen, but, it's only happened once to me in the Maxima.

As for the 350 vs Max's lights, they look the same too me. The same color on the road, and the same color on the lamp.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:15 PM

One thing that happens a lot to me is oncoming cars flashing their lights at me to knock mine back to low beam.
I have even had cars pull over on to the shoulder of the road ( dark country back roads ) till I had passed by.
yup, everytime I drive at night...even on city streets!
Old 11-29-2003, 03:38 PM

I had an alignment problem with my driver side light only. I took it to the dealer a couple times to get it adjusted proerly. In the end I did it myself.

With the right tools it should only take a few minutes. Otherwise it's at least 1-2 hours to get the entire job done.

I should note that I don't have HID's. Now that I have the lights adjusted better I hardly ever get flashed. And when I do, it makes flashing the high's all that much sweeter cause I know fore sure they are below the horizontal cutoff so they get a real good blast of light!!

I've also noticed that I get flashed more often if the fog lights are on. People are still looking and seeing two sets of beams on side by side and assuming the inner set are high beams. As fog lights on the inside of the main beams become more popular this should decrease.

CM.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:14 PM

I have this happen all the time, and my lights are lined up properly. Usually, the bastards turn their highs on instead of flashing, so I pay them back with a sun tan

It is fun to watch the expressions on their faces, the HIDs light up the world on high beam
Old 11-29-2003, 06:15 PM
Former Sponsor

does anyone have pics of both?
Old 11-29-2003, 07:11 PM

Slightly off topic, but how do the HID'S perform on dark, rainy nights? The Silverstars I just put on my '95 are pretty white, but suck badly in the rain.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:16 PM
Former Sponsor

HIDs do wonders for rainy nights.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:26 PM

I get flashed all the time at night. I usually try and flash back before I pass em.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:33 AM

My Max HID's have a definite blue cast to them, behind another car, very defined blue edge on headlight reflection of car, regardless of cars color.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Memphoman
My Max HID's have a definite blue cast to them, behind another car, very defined blue edge on headlight reflection of car, regardless of cars color.
Yeah, I love it!... a very deep purple/blue edge on the very top of the beam pattern. Very cool to see it reflect off the car in front.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by jbgoodmax
I have seen bought cars on coming.

Max starts out with a deep purple look, then gets lighter until its a clean very light blue.

Z istarts out medium blue to a clean very light blue.

If you look at both cars close-up they look very light almost just a clear white.
How funny! I read this earlier today, then my wife and I were out an hour ago and I commented on an oncoming car, "Look how bluish those headlights are ...". She said, "Wow, they're almost purple." It turned out to be another Maxima.

I'd never noticed how they looked until you posted this and I saw that other Max. Driving behind the HID's, they look pretty much like any other zenons to me. Except that they have a definite purple-blue halo around the edges when you pull up behind another car. But they're certainly distinctive to oncoming cars!

Mike