6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Modified Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 08:31 PM

Modified Exhaust

I've been thinking of adding a high flow exhaust, but when it comes to exhaust I'm pretty lost. What I'm looking for is HP gains and most of all a nice deep exhaust note, not a high pitch. Something suitable for an automatic. My confusion comes when reading about the many different exhaust tips & cat backs. What brands are worth considering? Would modifying my exhaust be illegal in California? What "street legal" exhaust would you recommend?
Old 02-04-2004, 08:59 PM

I have been wanting to do some sort of exhaust mods but theres nothing available. Only thing I can think of is get a shop to do a custom job. Ive thought about removing or replacing the resonator with a high flow one, and possibly look for crimps on the stock exhaust. Ive heard clips of the altima and it sounds better with the resonator removed, Im sure the maxima exhaust would sound nice.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:11 PM

Usually having a custom cat-back made at a local shop comes out cheaper and does the same job as one of the expensive, say Greddy cat-backs. I'll be getting a custom b-pipe, maybe whole cat-back this spring
Old 02-04-2004, 10:44 PM
Maxima of the Month Winner

Cat-back Exhaust

I am also in the market for an aftermarket exhaust system for my 04. My research has come up with 2 systems. Greddy is marketing a full stainless steel cat-back for the 04 Max for $878.00. The picture on their website shows it on an Altima. Check it out here:

http://www.greddy.com/products/produ...roductidx=1872

Stillen is also coming out with an all stainless cat-back, but it is still being developed. I called them yesterday and they said to check back in a few weeks. Their system is made in the U.S.A., I think the Greddy cat-back is made over seas.

The Injen CAI I ordered came in Monday and I plan to install it this weekend. Hey Glude! Your car and mine are a lot alike! Same color, Trenz grill, Eibachs, Injen CAI. Are you copying me? (just kidding!)
Old 02-05-2004, 09:39 PM

My Injen has been on for a while. I ordered some 19s the other day so il be rollin on some wheels soon, Tires I need to find for a good price because I have not purchased yet. I want more power mods for my 04 but theres nothing available.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Maxima of the Month Winner

Originally Posted by Glude
My Injen has been on for a while. I ordered some 19s the other day so il be rollin on some wheels soon, Tires I need to find for a good price because I have not purchased yet. I want more power mods for my 04 but theres nothing available.

No mods for your car? Hello! Did you read my post? Greddy cat-back?

If you do a web search, you will find all kinds of aftermarket performance mods for the 04 Max. High perfomance cams, superchargers, turbo chargers, nitrous oxide injection. What are you looking for?

I have a set of ADR wheels on order. I already have new tires: 245/45 18 Falken 451's (high performance-directional tread). I will post pictures when I have them on.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:57 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Hello 04RedOpMax, you need to get a reality cheack. A full cat-back will give maybe 5WHP. That is streching it quite a bit. Read Nissan Performance Mag - 350Z Project Car. This explains that Nissan was very keen on getting everyamount of power out of the VQ. The car is different but the engine is the same. Cams for the 04 max are not available, but will be shortly. Let me rephrase they will be available for very performance oriented people with an extra $1000. JWT is working on them but it takes lots of research to make a powerful yet daily drivable cam. Nitrous is the only mod that you mentioned that will give more than 40HP and is availble now; however, nitrous doesn't give you that power all the time so it can't be considered a full time power upgrade. If anyone makes a turbo kit it will be a complete custom job. Kits for the 04 will not be ready for at least 2 or 3 years seeing as a turbo kit for 5.5gens has not yet been marketed other than the custom market. Supercharger is the same way although it won't take as long to develop. Maybe a year. I don't know how the Y-Pipe on the new max's are but I would imagine they give about 10HP of gain and someone is probably developing one now.

So, the only full time performance mods avaible now won't make the max a 300HP car. Not even a 285HP car. They will come though. Light rims would be a substaintial performance upgrade over the really heavy stockers. I think its awesome that you guys are modding your brand new cars with nice exhaust, intakes, rims and springs but the time that the 6th will decimate the 1/4Mile is far away.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:07 AM

Im pretty sure cattman has a y pipe in the works for our cars. I think im going to be getting the falken 451s also, except in 19 inch. I would have ran aftermarket 18s but I had a feeling they would look to small on the 04 so I opted for 19s. I know the spiders weigh 24 lbs which Im almost certain is lighter than stock 18s. Either way running on a 19 or 18 isnt exactly the solution to best track times so I figured il just run a larger wheel on the street and buy some some 16s with DRs for the track or something. Please link me to these turbo kits and SC kits you speek of because from what I know they do not exist.
Oh yeah and if the greddy catback looks anything like the altima greddy then I wouldnt dare put that on my car, the fartcan look is not one for the 04 maxima. Greddy makes excelent products but Il have to pass unless they alter the muffler and use a better looking one.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:30 PM

The Unorthodox Racing Pully for the '03 Altima fits the '04 Maxima as well... that would gain you some HP.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by broaner22
Hello 04RedOpMax, you need to get a reality cheack. A full cat-back will give maybe 5WHP. That is streching it quite a bit. Read Nissan Performance Mag - 350Z Project Car. This explains that Nissan was very keen on getting everyamount of power out of the VQ. The car is different but the engine is the same. Cams for the 04 max are not available, but will be shortly. Let me rephrase they will be available for very performance oriented people with an extra $1000. JWT is working on them but it takes lots of research to make a powerful yet daily drivable cam. Nitrous is the only mod that you mentioned that will give more than 40HP and is availble now; however, nitrous doesn't give you that power all the time so it can't be considered a full time power upgrade. If anyone makes a turbo kit it will be a complete custom job. Kits for the 04 will not be ready for at least 2 or 3 years seeing as a turbo kit for 5.5gens has not yet been marketed other than the custom market. Supercharger is the same way although it won't take as long to develop. Maybe a year. I don't know how the Y-Pipe on the new max's are but I would imagine they give about 10HP of gain and someone is probably developing one now.

So, the only full time performance mods avaible now won't make the max a 300HP car. Not even a 285HP car. They will come though. Light rims would be a substaintial performance upgrade over the really heavy stockers. I think its awesome that you guys are modding your brand new cars with nice exhaust, intakes, rims and springs but the time that the 6th will decimate the 1/4Mile is far away.

FYI- I just emailed B&B who made the kit for the article quoted above. This was the only exhaust that the author found that actually increased tq and hp. They ARE working on a Max kit, so there's hope for us yet! Here's the reply:

the 04 Maxima is about 6 to 7 months away. We are doing some preliminary prototype work on this vehicle now but it will be in the above time frame before it's ready for release. Thanks for your interest.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by 04EliteSE
The Unorthodox Racing Pully for the '03 Altima fits the '04 Maxima as well... that would gain you some HP.
Well I know they make the UDP for the maxima but I dont wanna spend 175 on the UR one when theres two other companys that make a pulley for the altima that are lighter and cheaper than the UR pulley but cannot provide info as to if it fits the 04 maxima or not. I assume it does but its still not 100%.