6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Buying help 04 Maxima Vs 04 Camry Se V-6

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 08:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Buying help 04 Maxima Vs 04 Camry Se V-6

Need some advice people, I have been reading this forum and Camrymans passing lane forum for a few weeks. I am a little bothered by the problems I am reading about with the 04 Max. I actaully quite surpised since I rented one from ($30/day) enterprise in orlando and drove to Miami 8-) for a long weekend. The car was great in terms of performance, a little on the load side in terms of wind noise. The A/C needs reworking, and the YELLOW lights were horrible but grew to tolerable. Oh yeah did I mention that we used 87 octane (regular) all weekend ( hey not my car) and it actually performed well. But overall I think the car just need some interior tweeking and nissan could have a winner on their hands.

last summer I rented a Camry LE I-4 from enterpise in Conn. great car solid build quality etc. didn't have the get up and go ( yeah I know engine difference, But I also test drove Camry SE V-6 ) that the Maxima had but the fit finish was head a shoulders above the maxima, except for the audio (max won hands down). I think that a Camry SE V-6 23,000+TT ($24,800 OTD), with TRD springs (eibach prokit rebadged) $500 ($250+ 250 install) , TRD exhaust $430 ( $100 install), and SSR 19's / tires $2000. So it should be roughly $28,000 fully hooked up (rims etc.)

where as I am looking at $28,500+TT just for an 04' max ( with driver package) and then have to get rims 20's (light weight) w $3500, Exhaust Stillen (installed headers n exhaust) $2000, and springs eibach (installed) $600. All totaled $38,400 for fully hooked Max. Which I will undoubtly have fit and finishe problems. Oh Big Brake up Grade $3,000 (Fr & Rear) to help cope with the extra 50whp

So advice people please be truthful 04 Camry SE V-6 or 04 Maxima SE

Or possible third Option when does 05 maxima come out ( with less problems)
Old 02-15-2004, 09:53 AM

I own a 2004 Maxima SE and a 1997 Camry XLE V6. If you want power then get the Maxima. There is a difference of 40 horsepower for new 2004 Maxima SE and Camry SE V6. I bought my Camry brand new in 1997 and the only complaint is the suspension. I replaced the struts and springs with TRD struts and springs for about $2,000. The Camry has over 107,000 miles and it still starts and runs like a brand new car. Camry V6 is very reliable. The only drawback with Camry is you have to replace your timing belt every 60,000. Maxima is using timing chain and over 100,000 miles before replacing it. By the way I replaced my Camry's wheels with 17 inch TRD/Revo wheels, TRD bodykit, TRD muffler, TRD engine and radiator cap. If you are planning on keeping the car for a long time then get a Camry but if you want power and speed then go for Maxima.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:02 AM

The Maxima is more of a drivers car, while the Camry is more of a passengers car... it's up to you to decide what you like best...
Old 02-15-2004, 03:43 PM

the 05 maxima should come out, at least pics and reviews in march (i think thats when the 04 came out), but at latest in november. i don't know why everyone has some many porblems with the maxima, mayby its because i only have 500 miles on mine, but mine is running great, no problems at all. But, the camery is a nice car, my parents got one, my only complaint is that it does not feel as luxurious or solid as the maxima. the maxima also has distinct styling with 4 tailpipes and the skyview. Both are great cars though, but i would choose the maxima.
Old 02-16-2004, 06:32 AM

If you want a camry get a solara, i had a 99, good car
Old 02-16-2004, 07:38 AM

If you want some *****, a bit of a radical bold design, and attitude, buy the Max...If you want a very reliable, average looking but great car, buy the Camry..They are both great cars, [consumer reports] but the truth is in driving them both, which you have...I have a 600+ hp Z06, looked at most all cars up to 60000, and chose the Max
Old 02-16-2004, 11:52 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

This link may help in the decision making process

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=272172
Old 02-17-2004, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by 04EliteSE
The Maxima is more of a drivers car, while the Camry is more of a passengers car... it's up to you to decide what you like best...
I couldnot have said it better, the Camry is pretty boring and has a different buying demographic than Maximas. Maxima are for people that need room that like sporty/sports sedan type car the Camry is the opposite (quitness,smooth boring). You want find many 20 something to 30 something single peole buying a Camry but many in Maximas, Camry is a good car but I just dont want a car that on every light I see at least 3 of them and every parking lot a dozen of them along with Accords.
Old 02-17-2004, 08:52 AM

Did you know there were about 38 Camrys(33 4-Cylinder's & 5 V6's)production in 1997 ~ 2003 with engines caught on fire while driving? 5 people were injured either by fire or car accident due to the fire? This was on Dateline News and some other auto news websites. Plus that major recall with loose steering wheel that can fall off? Everyone in my family drives a Camry, from 1995~2000, and every single one of them have problems, mostly with engine and eletrical. One of my aunts' 1999 Camry LE V6 had its engine gasket replaced twice by the dealer; driver & passenger side power windows and power trunk release fixed with only 30,000m on the car. My sis' 1996 Camry 4-Cylinder has an engine oil leak which dealer says can't find the leak...of course they can't find, cuz it leaks very slow but it LEAKS!! My other aunt's 1996 Camry V6 had its engine stalled too many times....another one had its timing belt snapped at only 61,000m, cost her $1400 to fix. Is this the reliability you are talking about?

Ever heard of a Maxima with all the above problems? All of them got a Camry just cuz someone else told them that Camry is the most popular, they are all over the streets, they are best-selling...etc. Did they really know about the car? No, but they were TOLD about the car, so they bought the car. And these are your average Camry buyers which take up at least 90% of all Camry's sales.

I'm not here to bash on Camry, just that when you said that Maxima has many problems, I had to step out and point out the facts to you. No car is perfect, every car in every make every model and trim has its factory defects/quality issues. However, it's the degree of these issues that people should be concerned about. All the issues on Maxima are just minor that we can live with. But a car with an engine that can untimely catch on fire and that lord-knows-when-it-will-fall-off steering wheel? I don't think people can really live with that...I definitely can't and won't.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:24 AM

To the above person:

Im the first person in my family to have ventured out of the Toyota line of cars, 1st with my Spec V and now w/ the max. I had a 99 toyota camry solara, my mom had 3 camrys, currently an avalon, my younger brother now has the solara, he previously had a 91 or 92 celica, my dad has a new corolla, before that he had a tacoma, also had a old 90ish pickup with over 100k on it and a 96 4runner and one of those 80 something toyota trucks...only one thing has had a problem with it that was the 4runner and we took right back the same day we bought it, they gave us a new one with about 2-3k more in options for the same price as the defected one...i like my max, and actually now want a titan, but i dont see nissan doing that, and i had problems with my spec and only one thing with my max and ive owned them for about 8 months now together....

so thats is what 4 camrys, and no problems....every car is going to have problems no matter what kind it is...i dont know any perfect car company out there that hasnt had some type of problem....anyways go with what you feel suits you best.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by pecora55
To the above person:
so thats is what 4 camrys, and no problems....every car is going to have problems no matter what kind it is...i dont know any perfect car company out there that hasnt had some type of problem....anyways go with what you feel suits you best.
That's why I said this: "No car is perfect, every car in every make every model and trim has its factory defects/quality issues. However, it's the degree of these issues that people should be concerned about. All the issues on Maxima are just minor that we can live with."

I have friends that own Camrys and their families own Camrys and some of them never had a problem with their cars. Everyone can have significantly different experiences with their cars, some people see a problem they point it out and let others know; some people will hide all the problems to avoid embarrassment cuz they think they'll lose face for buying that car; and some people are just so over-biased toward a certain make/model and flat out lying about everything. The point here is, we must all be fair and not leaning towards any side when judging things. And with an open-mind to see beyond others, to see the truths.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:05 PM

Its really up to you. My mother's 6th gen SE drives incredibly well and I don't think the Camry even come close in the long run. But like I said, it's a matter of personal opinions.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the Input

Thanks people all of your comments are going to be a great help. My only issue has been that I won't have that mauch free time to be chasing my Service people down to fix the problems with a Maxima.

I absolutley agree from the drivers perspective the Max is head and shoulders above the Camry. But interms of opportunity cost I am still sitting on the fence.

And the Vette post 600 + hp!! 8-) sweet ride, next up 2-3 years down the road is CTS-V ( or possible an S4 or do I dear say RS4)

thanks once again people
Old 02-17-2004, 05:04 PM
*moderator*

All I have to say is that I have 7500 miles on my Max and not one problem....
....also my 84 year old grandma drives a Camry.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:23 PM

If you want some *****, a bit of a radical bold design, and attitude
This is the funniest **** I have read all month. Dude u R kidding yourself...
Did you know there were about 38 Camrys(33 4-Cylinder's & 5 V6's)production in 1997 ~ 2003 with engines caught on fire while driving? 5 people were injured either by fire or car accident due to the fire? This was on Dateline News and some other auto news websites. Plus that major recall with loose steering wheel that can fall off? Everyone in my family drives a Camry, from 1995~2000, and every single one of them have problems, mostly with engine and eletrical. One of my aunts' 1999 Camry LE V6 had its engine gasket replaced twice by the dealer; driver & passenger side power windows and power trunk release fixed with only 30,000m on the car. My sis' 1996 Camry 4-Cylinder has an engine oil leak which dealer says can't find the leak...of course they can't find, cuz it leaks very slow but it LEAKS!! My other aunt's 1996 Camry V6 had its engine stalled too many times....another one had its timing belt snapped at only 61,000m, cost her $1400 to fix. Is this the reliability you are talking about?
Goodness dude the Camry is the most reliable car on the planet if not tied with the Accord. Why do you think they sell so many? That is it's main trait, reliablity and quality. They have sold over 450,000 Camry's a year for like 10 years....

Paranos, you make a good comparison. I think the 04 Maxima is for people like dbvettez06, concerned about the image but is there substance behind it? The Maxima has lost every comparison, been last and pretty much bashed as a sports sedan in every magazine. Not a coincidence. It looks like one but no longer drives like one. The Camry does not pretend to be one, you HAVE to add TRD equipment to make it one (the SE Camry, IMO is a sports sedan joke). The new Max is a looker and does attract attention with it's shape, love or hate it while the Camry has "any-sedan" styling.

How long do u plan on keeping the car? What are your priorities with the car?
The Max vs Camry V-6 is a good comparion but as stated, it depends on your priorities.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Paranos

And the Vette post 600 + hp!! 8-) sweet ride, next up 2-3 years down the road is CTS-V ( or possible an S4 or do I dear say RS4)

thanks once again people
I thought you wanted a car with great reliability.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:21 AM

[QUOTE]The Maxima has lost every comparison, been last and pretty much bashed as a sports sedan in every magazine. Not a coincidence. It looks like one but no longer drives like one

Why don't you do some research before you make assumptions...

The 2004 Maxima seems to have won many awards according to JD Power and Associates
Most appealing Premium Midsize car.
http://www.jdpa.com/studies_jdpower/...ID=788&CatID=1

Among the most successful of the launches of 2004...The study, which measures owners’ delight with the design, content, layout and performance of their new vehicles. The study also finds several highly successful all-new and redesigned model launches have succeeded in raising customer satisfaction much higher than that for the models they replaced. "The opportunity to move the appeal needle in a positive direction happens when manufacturers introduce all-new designs or the redesign of existing models," said Joe Ivers, partner and executive director of quality/customer satisfaction at J.D. Power and Associates. "Many of this year’s launches took advantage of this opportunity and have produced home runs."
Among the most successful launches are the Nissan Maxima (2004). Each of these models has delighted customers by outperforming the typical segment performance while also reflecting competitive advantages in the areas that matter most to buyers in those segments.
http://www.jdpa.com/studies_jdpower/...ID=788&CatID=1
Old 02-18-2004, 02:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

camry vs. maxima

I've owned both cars, and my preference is for the Maxima. It's far more of a driver's car, and the reliability is good. (Had a 2000 Maxima with no problems before I got the '04) Frankly, I think the Maxima is more of a head turner. We took ours to Mexico (from where I'm writing) and can really kick it out on the highways here. You're right though, the fit and finish on the Camry is better. We had a couple of minor problems that the dealer had to correct. Hands down, the Maxima is the sexier car, and it's dependable (wouldn't have taken it to Mexico if it weren't) but the Camry is more, well, practical. It all depends what you are looking for in a car.

You may also want to check out the Acura TL, it's got superb fit and finish as well as a great engine. Good luck!

Jack
Old 02-18-2004, 05:33 PM

We've got a 1995 Toyota Camry with 100k and we've had no problems whatsoever except the timing belt. Great vehicle (only has 122 hp), but nonetheless very reliable. I agree if you like stomping the gas on ramps and taking turns around you would probably want to get the maxima (speaking from a 4th gen perspective). I think the maxima is a bit on the high side, and I looked at the new solara and its a bit cheaper while attaining excellent gas mileage. I would go for the Toyota Solora, its a nice car, and a bit cheaper. But both cars are pretty nice, and I'm sure the Maxima could whoop it in a drag race.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:05 PM

I'll bite

I actually wanted a one or two year old max but couldn't find a used one that I was comfy with. And the '04 was just too much a month. My biggest complaint was the interior - too much.

So I got a very good deal on an '04 Camry SE. Yes it is more of a family car but I cannot deny I love it. Under the hood are a strut tower bar, CAI, and headers - original equipment!

And I just sold my 92 Camry w/ 210k miles on it. My mom drove it to 120k and then I got it.

In 11 years exactly 3 non-maintenance issues arose

Brake light switch - $50
Engine gasket/seal leaks - $800 (from a pricey toy dealer)
Right power window regulator stopped

I see it all the time - the new owner just smiles and waves

No flame here - I wanted that 265 HP BADLY! It is quite a wonderful thing. If the SE didn't get the 3.3L I would have bought the max.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:33 PM

If you are a foreign spy, get the Camry. You'll never be noticed.

If you are an FBI special agent, get the Camry. Great undercover car.

If you are on the lam, get the Camry. You will never be stopped.

If you don't want your former wife to know you have money, get the Camry. She will assume you are still in abject poverty.

If you don't want to show up your boss in the company parking lot, get the Camry. Should get you that big raise.

If you are a shy, reclusive person, get the Camry. No one will look at you.

If you tend to go a little too fast at times, get the Camry. They are almost invisible to the smokies.

If you are none of the above, the decision should be very easy.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:50 AM

Old 02-19-2004, 07:44 AM

I think the Max is as reliable as the Camry and the Accord. The reason why the Camcords sell more is that they also come in 4-bangers and are cheaper to buy and own and produce better mpg. If you want power and speed, you got to pay for the it.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:14 AM

Don't forget advertising..Toyota and Honda both run way more advertising than Nissan does.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Goodness dude the Camry is the most reliable car on the planet if not tied with the Accord. Why do you think they sell so many? That is it's main trait, reliablity and quality. They have sold over 450,000 Camry's a year for like 10 years....
Did you know 65% of that sales number are actually 4-Cylinder's? Both Camry & Accord 4-Cylinder's are very cheap to own, they all have pretty good gas mileage given that they are 4-cylinder's. Maxima sells nearly half that figure but are all V6's and out performs any Camry & Accord out there. Fit & finish problem is only found in the 6th gen Maxima's before they are being made in the US they were good.

Have you worked in a Toyota and Honda dealer before? I have 2 friends that worked in both dealers, one went to Nissan Orange and one went to Penske Mercedes. The one worked for Toyota said that many Camry, Corolla, Sienna and V6 Solara have engine problems; the other worked for Honda was a hardcore Honda fan, now he drives an 03 Maxima. Why? cuz he fixed too many Accords, Civics and Odysseys that he finally got sick of it and moved on and sold his 02 Accord. Honda's are economy cars for kids; Toyota's are for people that have no passion in life. So when you grow up and are passionate, you drive Maxima. If you got more cash and want something more luxurious, you drive I30/I35.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:37 PM

Kraze D - I agree with your post. Except maybe the Last line.

Both the I35 and the G35 are excellent cars. But I test-drove the G35, and it felt cramped, had a less-appealing interior, and cost more than the Maxima. I agree with Consumers Report that the Maxima is preferable to the G35.

The I35 is actually an '03 Maxima somewhat embellished and dressed out in Infiniti finery. I like it a lot, but the fairly equivalent (mechanically) '03 Maxima costs less.

If one comes into a little money, simply step up to the Elite package and have a luxurious Maxima.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:27 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Kraze D
Honda's are economy cars for kids; Toyota's are for people that have no passion in life. So when you grow up and are passionate, you drive Maxima.
Great generalizations - I am what I drive.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:06 AM

Don't forget advertising..Toyota and Honda both run way more advertising than Nissan does.

Did you know 65% of that sales number are actually 4-Cylinder's? Both Camry & Accord 4-Cylinder's are very cheap to own, they all have pretty good gas mileage given that they are 4-cylinder's. Maxima sells nearly half that figure but are all V6's and out performs any Camry & Accord out there. Fit & finish problem is only found in the 6th gen Maxima's before they are being made in the US they were good.

Have you worked in a Toyota and Honda dealer before? I have 2 friends that worked in both dealers, one went to Nissan Orange and one went to Penske Mercedes. The one worked for Toyota said that many Camry, Corolla, Sienna and V6 Solara have engine problems; the other worked for Honda was a hardcore Honda fan, now he drives an 03 Maxima. Why? cuz he fixed too many Accords, Civics and Odysseys that he finally got sick of it and moved on and sold his 02 Accord. Honda's are economy cars for kids; Toyota's are for people that have no passion in life. So when you grow up and are passionate, you drive Maxima. If you got more cash and want something more luxurious, you drive I30/I35.
Maximas donot sell anywhere near half of Cams or Accords, they sell less than 1/4 than what they do. 450,000+ vs 75,000 (projected 04)-90,000 units for 02
Old 02-20-2004, 01:20 PM

the '04 Max is fair to compare to Avalon, not to Camry. Maxima is now a more luxury car than it ever was. Thats why you compare Camry to an Altima.

If you really wanna be pimpin', hanging out with all the big boys, want all of the luxury, sport, bling, and got $38 grand to spare, don't make mistake and go the Infinity/Lexus/BMW/Benz way. For low 30's you can get a '00-'01 Q45, GS400/430, LS400/430, 5-series or even 7-series BMW, or a '99-'00 S-class Benz. Thats the big pimping. Put on some 20's and be done.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

The I35 is actually an '03 Maxima somewhat embellished and dressed out in Infiniti finery. I like it a lot, but the fairly equivalent (mechanically) '03 Maxima costs less.
I'd take the I35 over the 2k2/3 Maxima, if had to do it over again. Especially given the I35's resemblence to the JDM Nissan Cefiro. I like my 2k2 Max but I still think the rearend is BUTTUGLY.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
the '04 Max is fair to compare to Avalon, not to Camry. Maxima is now a more luxury car than it ever was. Thats why you compare Camry to an Altima.
I totally agree.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4
I'd take the I35 over the 2k2/3 Maxima, if had to do it over again. Especially given the I35's resemblence to the JDM Nissan Cefiro. I like my 2k2 Max but I still think the rearend is BUTTUGLY.
02 SE Maxima just looks more sporty than the I35, thats a plus for most of us here. I personally think our butt looks better than the I35's.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
02 SE Maxima just looks more sporty than the I35, thats a plus for most of us here. I personally think our butt looks better than the I35's.

yea i agree the max=sport the I35=lux.........however the I like the I35 butt better than the 5th gen max.......the rear end of the 5th gen always has been my least fav part of my car
Old 02-23-2004, 07:37 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by F23A4
I totally agree.

Old 02-23-2004, 04:19 PM

Yes, I did. Maxima was always a rung above the Camry/Accord seeing it only offered the V-6. However, ever noticed that the Maxima got creamed in every comparison against the 2? Or not even included. Damn rear suspension, that's why, among other things. The Last Maxima that was close to winning or won a comparison was the 89-94 model. That is 10 years ago. Though, me being me, I still would have gotten a Max before either one. Until the 6th gen. And we can't go by 2 friends to decide the cars are unreliable. B/C to the masses and to JD Power, they are very reliable.
As for no passion, I guess MR-2s, Celicas and goodness, the Supra are for people with no passion.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:29 AM
is invisible

As for no passion, I guess MR-2s, Celicas and goodness, the Supra are for people with no passion.

Old 02-24-2004, 06:20 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Honda's are economy cars for kids; Toyota's are for people that have no passion in life. So when you grow up and are passionate, you drive Maxima. If you got more cash and want something more luxurious, you drive I30/I35.

Wow that's such a narrow-minded view of things. I got a Toyota too and it rocks. Doesn't mean I'm not "passionate", though. Maybe I am passionate - there's so much more to life than just cars ya know. Oh wait, but I also have a Nissan Maxima so I guess I really am passionate. But wait, I also had a Honda so did that mean I was just a kid looking for a cheap economy car?

Next car will probably be a Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Turbo. What kind of person would I be then? I'm also thinking about the updated Altima, and maybe even a Mazda 3 for a fun/cheap daily driver and then get a Mustang GT for a weekend go-fast fun modding toy. How would you judge me then?

Maybe I just like cars.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:04 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Wow that's such a narrow-minded view of things. I got a Toyota too and it rocks. Doesn't mean I'm not "passionate", though. Maybe I am passionate - there's so much more to life than just cars ya know. Oh wait, but I also have a Nissan Maxima so I guess I really am passionate. But wait, I also had a Honda so did that mean I was just a kid looking for a cheap economy car?

Next car will probably be a Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Turbo. What kind of person would I be then? I'm also thinking about the updated Altima, and maybe even a Mazda 3 for a fun/cheap daily driver and then get a Mustang GT for a weekend go-fast fun modding toy. How would you judge me then?

Maybe I just like cars.

Don't remember the passion for life you gained by dumping the Accord for the Maxima?
Don't you feel the loss of passion when you step into your Toyota?

Remember, you are what you drive.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Paranos
Need some advice people, I have been reading this forum and Camrymans passing lane forum for a few weeks. I am a little bothered by the problems I am reading about with the 04 Max. I actaully quite surpised since I rented one from ($30/day) enterprise in orlando and drove to Miami 8-) for a long weekend. The car was great in terms of performance, a little on the load side in terms of wind noise. The A/C needs reworking, and the YELLOW lights were horrible but grew to tolerable. Oh yeah did I mention that we used 87 octane (regular) all weekend ( hey not my car) and it actually performed well. But overall I think the car just need some interior tweeking and nissan could have a winner on their hands.

last summer I rented a Camry LE I-4 from enterpise in Conn. great car solid build quality etc. didn't have the get up and go ( yeah I know engine difference, But I also test drove Camry SE V-6 ) that the Maxima had but the fit finish was head a shoulders above the maxima, except for the audio (max won hands down). I think that a Camry SE V-6 23,000+TT ($24,800 OTD), with TRD springs (eibach prokit rebadged) $500 ($250+ 250 install) , TRD exhaust $430 ( $100 install), and SSR 19's / tires $2000. So it should be roughly $28,000 fully hooked up (rims etc.)

where as I am looking at $28,500+TT just for an 04' max ( with driver package) and then have to get rims 20's (light weight) w $3500, Exhaust Stillen (installed headers n exhaust) $2000, and springs eibach (installed) $600. All totaled $38,400 for fully hooked Max. Which I will undoubtly have fit and finishe problems. Oh Big Brake up Grade $3,000 (Fr & Rear) to help cope with the extra 50whp

So advice people please be truthful 04 Camry SE V-6 or 04 Maxima SE

Or possible third Option when does 05 maxima come out ( with less problems)

Get a 4th or 5th gen..they look better..and have more aftermarket support! Oh and are alot cheaper.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:44 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally Posted by CoolMax

Don't remember the passion for life you gained by dumping the Accord for the Maxima?
Don't you feel the loss of passion when you step into your Toyota?

Remember, you are what you drive.
When I drive the Toyota I'm still passionate. About giving the wifey a smooth ride to the mall, and loading all of her crap in the cavernous back, and giving her a good laugh when I mash the throttle because it still has enough torque-to-weight to dust the riced out Civic next to us.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:59 AM

Yes, I did. Maxima was always a rung above the Camry/Accord seeing it only offered the V-6. However, ever noticed that the Maxima got creamed in every comparison against the 2? Or not even included. Damn rear suspension, that's why, among other things. The Last Maxima that was close to winning or won a comparison was the 89-94 model. That is 10 years ago. Though, me being me, I still would have gotten a Max before either one. Until the 6th gen. And we can't go by 2 friends to decide the cars are unreliable. B/C to the masses and to JD Power, they are very reliable.
Well not true the Max beat them out in a comparison R/T did in 2000 and all of the reviewers chosse the Max for its sportiness and style. In 95 C/D comparison it would have won but price dropped it to 2nd and it was the quickest. With the 3rd gen they never compared it to the Cam or Accords it was always Vigor,Diamante,Cressida Etc. I have tons of old mags and in not one did the compare the 3rd gen to the Accord or Cam. Also the 3rd gen won so many Awards and comparos it was rediculous 4th gen M/T car of the year in 95. The Max is that car without any direct competitors and have been for years that is why it is left out of alot of comparos, it will lose for either being to expensive or not quite up to Entry Lux car status. Its a no win situation.

Quick Reply: Buying help 04 Maxima Vs 04 Camry Se V-6