6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Which Max SE or SL

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 05:30 AM

Which Max SE or SL

OK here my dilemma I like the touring ride in the SL but hate the 4 Speed trans. I like the 5 speed trans in the SE (almost makes the car seem like they have two diff engs) but with the 18s on the highway there is nothing to absorb the small bumps and road imperfections. The guy at the dealer suggested changing the 18s to 17s to get a better ride. Would there be any issue in doing this?
Old 02-23-2004, 07:49 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by 95Max
OK here my dilemma I like the touring ride in the SL but hate the 4 Speed trans. I like the 5 speed trans in the SE (almost makes the car seem like they have two diff engs) but with the 18s on the highway there is nothing to absorb the small bumps and road imperfections. The guy at the dealer suggested changing the 18s to 17s to get a better ride. Would there be any issue in doing this?
Go for it..I doubt there will be any issues. People changes rims like clothes.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:24 AM

Would there be any issue in doing this?
Shouldn't be a problem. It will make your ride a little softer, but I just don't like the look of the 17's. If only they made the 18's style (350z'ish) in 17's...!

The 05 Altima put 16's on the 3.5 SL for that very same reason you're asking about. Go for it
Old 02-23-2004, 10:10 AM
andymax95

the 18's that come on the se have more than enough rubber to make your ride enjoyable. Plus 17's (sl) don't even look pimp.

Old 02-23-2004, 10:00 PM

I'd say get the SL. The SL now comes as a five-speed auto ,so you can get the best of both worlds with the SL. I got mine in November, before the tranny swich was made, but its still a great ride and I would highly recommend it to anyone interested.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:02 PM

I think if it's a Maxima, it should be a SE.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:36 PM

The SE is great for strutting and showing and racing and slaloms. But for vacation trips covering seven thousand miles coast to coast and border to border (as we retired folks are prone to do), the comfort of the SE cannot compare to the SL. And the SL has a ton of stuff standard, such as HD headlights, leather, etc, etc.

I even like the 4sp tranny, although the 5sp is better for jackrabbit starts from red lights, racing, etc. Having said that, I am glad the SLs being built after 2-6-04 are five speed.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The SE is great for strutting and showing and racing and slaloms. But for vacation trips covering seven thousand miles coast to coast and border to border (as we retired folks are prone to do), the comfort of the SE cannot compare to the SL. And the SL has a ton of stuff standard, such as HD headlights, leather, etc, etc.

I even like the 4sp tranny, although the 5sp is better for jackrabbit starts from red lights, racing, etc. Having said that, I am glad the SLs being built after 2-6-04 are five speed.

I totally agree!
Old 02-26-2004, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by annimax
I'd say get the SL. The SL now comes as a five-speed auto ,so you can get the best of both worlds with the SL.
WHOA!!! I musta been asleep when this was announced.

The 5spd auto is definitely the ticket, and not just for jackrabbit starts, either. Anytime you need to get a burst of speed to pass someone on the highway, enter a freeway on-ramp, or just get out of the way of others, the 5spd does the job much better and with less drama.

The 18" wheels affect the ride in a couple of ways ... they have lower-profile tires, so you have less sidewall to flex and absorb small bumps and ripples. Secondly, they weigh a bit more, so there is more unsprung weight for the suspension to have to deal with.

The real reason the SE's ride is firmer, though, is the springs and shocks (struts), which are calibrated for a firmer, more controlled ride and improved handling. Changing out an SE's wheels for SL wheels won't make much difference in ride quality.

So, it all comes down to ride/handling v. looks, now that the 5spd trans is in both. IMO, the 18" wheels make a huge difference in the looks of the car ... the smaller wheels of the SL make it look a little frumpy to me. And the better handling of the SE is a fair tradeoff for the firmer ride. In the end, though, you have to make the decision for yourself.

Mike
Old 02-26-2004, 03:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you're looking to "soften" the ride of an SE by switching to 17's, DON'T BOTHER. I tried that to no avail. It did take away some of ride impact harshness, but replaced it with a sense of "jiggle and squirm." If a compliant ride is a priority, don't get an SE.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by PhattyMax
Shouldn't be a problem. It will make your ride a little softer, but I just don't like the look of the 17's. If only they made the 18's style (350z'ish) in 17's...!

The 05 Altima put 16's on the 3.5 SL for that very same reason you're asking about. Go for it
Get a pair of 02/03 SE rims which are of the 6 spoke sporty design.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:52 PM

2004 Silver bullet!

Hi! I say it depends where you live. If you live in Virginia where the roads are amazingly smooth, go for the SE but you SE owners may have noticed increased road noise.....also a friend of mine who has the identical car to mine same color too and has the SE and had a major problem with the tires. The side walls got damaged in less than 6 months of driving! Not the rims! And that is here in Montreal ....the pot hole capitol of North America.But that was during the summer when the roads are fixed....must be the expansion joints on the elevated freeways! For me I chose the SL because I like the ride on the highway and city....smooth and quiet and I did not like the passing jolt of the SE on the highway although speed addicts would love it. The 55 t0 80 passing in the SE is amazing. If you're not careful you could rear end the guy in front of you. You have to change lanes first and then stomp it or else!
I used to have a 2K2 and I find that I prefer the 4 speed ...especially now that it's been refined in 2004. You can down shift to 3 very easily just by flicking your wrist...harder to do with the 5. I would bet that the 0 - 60 is faster in the 4 too! Less gears to change. I am selling my 17's and going with 17 branch style chromes. I changed my front grille to the "Trenz" grille: chrome plated solid stainless steel! Go to www.stillen.com and do some hunting for 04max and look under grille. I also painted the calipers silver and added the spoiler.

http://www.stillen.com/Sportscars_de...d=31144&page=1

I plan on adding the FSB and CAI with ECU ugrade and Tochiko COS....good for 300+ hp....This spring. Silver stealth bullet time!

Whatever your choice...enjoy the beautiful and reliable ride dude!
Old 02-26-2004, 04:56 PM

Oh too

[My friend fought with the dealer and had the tires replaced!
Old 02-27-2004, 07:08 AM

Thanks for all of the input. Always great knowledge here...you guys rule

I spoke to my local dealer last night. They should be getting in the SL 5 speeds by the 2nd week of march.

Downside is a $300 increase. oh well. Wonder what kid of price I can get
Old 02-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

We just bought an 04 SL. We chose it cuz of the amenities on the inside, that they say you can't get on an SE. It's just as fast as the SE, right? I am a little ****ed that there's a 5spd auto version out now, but the 4 is fast as hell anyway.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:03 PM

This is new news for me and just in the nick of time. The dealer tried to squeeze me into an SL with the 4 speed and did not tell me anything about the upgrade to the 5 speed. It might have worked except the interior was not what I wanted; it saved me from not being able to get one with the 5 speed. Thanks for the headsup. SemperFi
Old 02-28-2004, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by boofatty
We just bought an 04 SL. We chose it cuz of the amenities on the inside, that they say you can't get on an SE. It's just as fast as the SE, right? I am a little ****ed that there's a 5spd auto version out now, but the 4 is fast as hell anyway.
I'm speaking of all possible options on both trims:

What amenities inside you can't get on an SE besides the Wood-tone accents (SL) vs. Metallic-tone accents (SE)?

For example Bose stereo standard on SL and an option on SE, BUT the standard price on an SL already costs more than an SE.