6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How to apply touch up paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How to apply touch up paint?

Hi,

Well, it happened. I've got a knick in the back of my car (I've reported this here before) and I'm going to try to apply the touch up paint this weekend during the first warm day of spring (yay!). Do I need to prep the area first with some sort of prepping solution? How long do I need to let it dry? Do I use multiple coats? How long do I need to let it sit before it can encounter any moisture (rain, etc)? BTW, I bought both the pen and bottle paint (the pen also has the clear coat). Sorry for so many questions, I just want to cover this guy up right!

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2004, 01:31 PM

First of all, wipe down the nick with rubbing alcohol to remove any residual wax. Paint will not adhere well to wax. Before you put any paint on, check it to make sure that it isn't too thick. You might want to buy a little thinner to thin it out a bit. I have used pens and brushes and q=tips; but the best applicator of all just might be a cardboard match stick. Of course, it all depends on just how large of an area you are repainting. If it is just a small one, you might even try a wooden toothpick. This gives you the ability to more accurately place the paint in the area. Don't overload the area with the fresh paint. Several light coats is the way to go and not just one big blob that will run on you. It is better to apply the paint to a hot surface, one that has been sitting in the sun and is warm to the touch. The paint will dry almost immediately and you will be able to apply the additional coats almost immediately. It is not rocket science and practice will make perfect. If you are unhappy with the results you might want to have a little paint thinner on hand to remove what you have done and will allow you to begin over. I would suggest practicing your technique inside of the trunk to get it down pat before you apply the paint to a visible surface. Good luck. SemperFi
Old 02-28-2004, 02:32 PM

Great tips, thanks!!
Old 02-28-2004, 02:40 PM

good to know!
Old 02-28-2004, 03:47 PM

You can also go to an art supply store and get a fine paint brush, size 00. Costs a couple bucks but you'll be able to paint the tiny stone chips. Wash it and save it for next time.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:06 PM

Another good tip, thanks!

Now, I bought both the pen and bottle paints (the pen also has the clear coat applicator on the other end). Has anyone had any experience with the pen applicators? Are they fine enough to do the job?
Old 02-28-2004, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Another good tip, thanks!

Now, I bought both the pen and bottle paints (the pen also has the clear coat applicator on the other end). Has anyone had any experience with the pen applicators? Are they fine enough to do the job?
I've tried the pen and I wouldn't recommend it. It's difficult to be accurate and hard to know how much paint will come out of it. Also, the pen tip is spring loaded but there's no indication as to how much it needs to be pumped to get the right amount of paint out.

I do like the toothpick idea and I might try that with those sharp pointed toothpicks. I think a cardboard match might pollute the paint and leave tiny bits of paper in the paint.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:05 AM

Thanks hanzar. What about the clear coat from the pen? Is it worth anything?
Old 02-29-2004, 02:13 PM

You might want to dump some of the clear coat into a small glass bottle and then apply it with either a toothpick or matchstick or the small paintbrush. The only problem wiht the brush is that you cannot accurately direct the paint exactly to the required spot. Another tip is if you can't get the paint in a bottle and have to get it in a spray can, you can alway direct some of the spray into the paint can lid and use that to apply with the toothpick, etc. Semperfi
Old 02-29-2004, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
Thanks hanzar. What about the clear coat from the pen? Is it worth anything?
Hard to say but similar I think. I tried it on another metal surface (the inside of my cellphone). You need to be really good with the pen in order to get even amounts of paint.

What is surprising to me is that the clear coat isn't very glossy at all. I guess that's where waxing your car becomes important. But then again, for tiny scratches, it's not an issue.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:38 PM

Thanks again guys. Going to wait for a good dry day or two before attempting this, but I'll be sure to take some pics for you all.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:48 AM

This article may help.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:30 PM

Boy, that's about all the guidance anyone would ever need to know. Great poop. SemperFi