6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Finally got down to the dealer! Question..

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 07:39 PM

Finally got down to the dealer! Question..

I finally went to the dealer. When I went there I had my mind set on the car I wanted. The SE with 6spd and I was going to get the DPP options. I just wanted to test drive it and work out some numbers. The dealer didn't have the car prepped, so I have to go back tomorrow morning to test drive it.

Anyway, since I couldn't drive it I just started looking at the other max's on the lot. I was dead set on not getting the Elite package cuz I didn't want the rear buckets. Well, when I got into an Elite equipped max I found out that it's not too bad. I think that I will be able to live with the rear buckets. Plus I get the Nav that I really wanted with the 6spd. This is a HUGE plus.

So, here's my question what have you guys been paying for an SE with the Elite Package?

Again, thanks for the info. You guys have been a great help in helping me make my decision.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:39 PM

Nobody has an SE with the Elite?

I went back to test drive the 6 spd. I don't know how I've lasted this long without a manual car. The car was great...no shimmys, no noise from the headliner or the back deck. It was a little noisy even with the windows up but, it's not horrible. The engagement point for the clutch was pretty good...No real (major) complaints about the car itself. So, I sat down with the sales guy and we talked numbers.

I'm leasing...he's giving me a 39 month, 15K per year for $498. The residual payment would be around 19K. Now this seems a little high for me but, I don't know. I haven't had the chance to really look at the numbers. I took the numbers he gave me and told him I'll get back to him. Do these numbers sound high to anyone else?

Oh, the car is an SE with Elite plus the sunroof.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:33 PM

I have a black SE with elite package and sunroof, every option, but I special ordered mine on March 20th 2003, when they first even became available, so I paid more than you should be paying now. Had to wait 3 months for it to come in too, didn't get t until June 16th. Mine stickered for 35,490 I think, and I paid 34,000.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:55 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

congrats on the new purchase.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:24 AM

sounds high to me.....you might could buy it for that monthly payment. Personally I would never "Flease" a car. (As Dave Ramsey says).
Old 03-07-2004, 12:44 PM

I paid 32500 for my Elite package with sunroof, splash gaurds, mats, cargo nets and sunroof visor. About 7-800 over invoice.

That deal doesn't sound too bad. You'll end up paying about 39,000 dollars for the car if you buy it. Where you'll get into trouble is if you finance the 19,000 dollars to buy the car. Then you'll be paying like 42,000 for it, and that's not a deal.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Redsand187
I paid 32500 for my Elite package with sunroof, splash gaurds, mats, cargo nets and sunroof visor. About 7-800 over invoice.

That deal doesn't sound too bad. You'll end up paying about 39,000 dollars for the car if you buy it. Where you'll get into trouble is if you finance the 19,000 dollars to buy the car. Then you'll be paying like 42,000 for it, and that's not a deal.

Well, I punched the numbers into an online lease calculator. It seems to be telling me that I am leasing the car for about 31,000. I don't know if I'm using the calc right or not...that sounds like it is only a little above invoice, right?

Anyway, I'm gonna play hardball and bounce the numbers off another dealer. I'll see if I can get a better deal...
Old 03-08-2004, 10:48 PM

I don't think you realize how much you gonna want to drive this car. To lease it would be not wise unless you drive a company car for work everyday. Trust me, driving this care is addictive. I can't even think of driving anything else unless it's a 745i or S-430 AMG. That's just because those are my dream cars.

Dude, you may want to go ahead and just buy the car. Seriously, you get addicted to driving the 6G easily. I'm still trying to stop myself from finding reason to go to the store. I sometimes feel like the guys in that Honda commercial that would drive to the mailbox at the front of their yard.

Buy it! Leasing is asking for trouble.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:29 PM

I hate to sound like an echo, but I guess that I have the same question: Why lease???? If you can't write off any of it as business related or if you are going to pile up the miles, you would be ahead of the game if you purchase it. SemperFi
Old 03-09-2004, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by sargeusmc57
I hate to sound like an echo, but I guess that I have the same question: Why lease???? If you can't write off any of it as business related or if you are going to pile up the miles, you would be ahead of the game if you purchase it. SemperFi

Well as a matter of fact, I think that I can write some of it off due to some business use. But, I have to check with my accountant. Like many of you guys, I don't like the idea of leasing. In my opinion, if I am going to put money out for a car I think that I should own the car. This, by the way, would be my first lease. The reason for the change in heart(maybe) is because I am trying to keep a low monthly payment and I also would rather not put any money down right now. The fact that I may be able to write the payments off is also a big plus. There are many positives for me, in regards to the lease. I'll probably buy it out at the end of the lease so, the mileage is not a concern.

Even after all of these reasons to lease, I am still undecided on what to do. I will have a conversation with my accountant and see what tax benefits I can take advantage of with a lease....

I still didn't get a final price on the car yet....I'm waiting for the other dealers to get me some numbers.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:32 PM

Don't lease, Dude!

With rates as low as they are now, you don't need a down payment unless your credit is fe-uuuuggged up! Also, unless you are putting down like 7-10k, you would be wasting your time with a down payment anyway.

If you are going to use the car as a write off, you can still do that without leasing. You just need to get some magnetic billboards to put on the doors.