6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Sky View and Sunroof Blow out.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 12:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sky View and Sunroof Blow out.

Recently when a 04 Maxima SE Was rented with a skyview roof, The Skyview roof glass BLEW OUT! I believe there are 3 other claims of people having the same problem, 2 with the Sky view and 1 with the regular sunroof. When the glass blows (Happend at 65mph) Glass flies allover and the interior if this car was filled with glass in the back seat. I would think if the covers for the windows were closed, glass would of smacked the cars behind the Maxima on the highway where the Glass blew out. If someone was in the backseat of this car when the glass broke they would of definety been injured.

Has anyone else had this problem? It isnt my car (It was the renter Co's) so Im just wondering. The car had 5k on it when the window Blew up.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Never ever heard of that happening. First post I've seen about this problem.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:58 PM

Yes I have heard 1 report of this happening.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by 92Bbody
Recently when a 04 Maxima SE Was rented with a skyview roof, The Skyview roof glass BLEW OUT! I believe there are 3 other claims of people having the same problem, 2 with the Sky view and 1 with the regular sunroof. When the glass blows (Happend at 65mph) Glass flies allover and the interior if this car was filled with glass in the back seat. I would think if the covers for the windows were closed, glass would of smacked the cars behind the Maxima on the highway where the Glass blew out. If someone was in the backseat of this car when the glass broke they would of definety been injured.

Has anyone else had this problem? It isnt my car (It was the renter Co's) so Im just wondering. The car had 5k on it when the window Blew up.

Wonder why my suspicious side perks up when a guy posts 1 time and it's a horror story about the Max? (Just me, I guess.)

But, tell me ... isn't the sunroof (and skyview) required to be made of safety glass? And although safety glass can, under certain circumstances, come apart into separate pieces, isn't it designed not to? I mean, it can "shatter", but it all stays together in most cases.

Oh, well.

Mike
Old 03-17-2004, 07:14 PM

Most safety glass does shatter in to a bunch of little tiny pieces that aren't sharp. Glass like windshields are made of, which contain laminates, very rarely come a part even if shatter
Old 03-17-2004, 10:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wonder why my suspicious side perks up when a guy posts 1 time and it's a horror story about the Max? (Just me, I guess.)

But, tell me ... isn't the sunroof (and skyview) required to be made of safety glass? And although safety glass can, under certain circumstances, come apart into separate pieces, isn't it designed not to? I mean, it can "shatter", but it all stays together in most cases.

Oh, well.

Mike

Umm.... I personally liked the car and the performace was great. I was JUST wondering if anyone else had this happen to there maxima. Just an heads up.

The glass did shatter, but also 6 inch chunks of glass were present. As a result the deck lid was scratced up pretty bad. In the other 2 known blow outs the glass was all thrown into the car behind the driver. I suspect the inside cover was closed in that incident.

Someone from Nissan said that the glass might be weak. It was odd becasue it just broke right in the middle with no warning.

Sunroofs and any other type of roof glass (As well as auto glass exempt the windshield) are usally tempered.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:00 PM

As Redsand noted, only the windshield has a layer of adherent flexible material between two layers of glass in order to prevent pieces flying everywhere.

This is the first I have heard of this problem. In thinking about how the skyview and the power sunroof are set up, I don't see any real similarities between them. I will be surprised if the sunroof blowout was caused by the same thing that is causing the skyroof to blow.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

There is a acura driver in disdguise here posting things i have never heard of happening ( let alone to the maxima). Unless instead of 65 he meant 650 mph!
Old 03-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There's several complaints about the skyview roof blowing out.

Check out the complaints on http://www.mycarstats.com/console.as...#ReportConsole

Surf to that page, then change the report type to complaints, then view the "misc. components".

(free) Registration is required.