6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

New 04 Max Owner Q(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 10:41 PM

New 04 Max Owner Q(s)

Hello all,

I just picked up my baby today. I picked out an '04 Max SE in Liquid Silver. Not many factory options added because I wanted to limit the amount financed. Normal mud guards/floor mats of course. No bose. No xenon. No chrome. No spoiler. I just got out of a '95 Mazda Protege w/ the massive 92HP so the 265HP is feeling rather nice. Put on 95 miles in 6 hours and I foresee a heavy mileage summer because I'm loving this vehicle. Nothing beats the new car smell. Sitting on 18"s is amazing. I was rolling the 13s this morning.
I will post something in the good experiences thread also because I have only praise for the dealership and salespeople. (Executive Nissan in North Haven, CT)

Q(s):

1) W/O the Bose I find the stereo lacking a bit. I've always been a mobile audio enthusiast and the stock sound seems flat. Any aftermarket speakers recommended that I wouldn't need to feed from an aftermarket amp? I read in other threads about the problems of upgrading the head unit so I will stay away from that a bit.

2) Should I be using 93 octane fuel? It just says Premium. Anyone recommend one brand over another? I'm new to the Nissan universe.

3) Anyone have the stock alloys chromed? I'm guessing its possible, but I'm not 100% sure. The car looks amazing on those 18s.

4) Has anyone equipped or seen aftermarket/oem Xenon headlights that I can install? I wasn't sure how difficult it would be or even if it were possible.

5) Is the I Lock security option a good purchase for 299?

6) Any other must have recommendations please let me know. No major engine/exhaust mods.

Just ordered the sunshade from courtesyparts.com and look forward to any responses.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by AngryPotato
Hello all,

I just picked up my baby today. I picked out an '04 Max SE in Liquid Silver. Not many factory options added because I wanted to limit the amount financed. Normal mud guards/floor mats of course. No bose. No xenon. No chrome. No spoiler. I just got out of a '95 Mazda Protege w/ the massive 92HP so the 265HP is feeling rather nice. Put on 95 miles in 6 hours and I foresee a heavy mileage summer because I'm loving this vehicle. Nothing beats the new car smell. Sitting on 18"s is amazing. I was rolling the 13s this morning.
I will post something in the good experiences thread also because I have only praise for the dealership and salespeople. (Executive Nissan in North Haven, CT)

Q(s):

1) W/O the Bose I find the stereo lacking a bit. I've always been a mobile audio enthusiast and the stock sound seems flat. Any aftermarket speakers recommended that I wouldn't need to feed from an aftermarket amp? I read in other threads about the problems of upgrading the head unit so I will stay away from that a bit.

2) Should I be using 93 octane fuel? It just says Premium. Anyone recommend one brand over another? I'm new to the Nissan universe.

3) Anyone have the stock alloys chromed? I'm guessing its possible, but I'm not 100% sure. The car looks amazing on those 18s.

4) Has anyone equipped or seen aftermarket/oem Xenon headlights that I can install? I wasn't sure how difficult it would be or even if it were possible.

5) Is the I Lock security option a good purchase for 299?

6) Any other must have recommendations please let me know. No major engine/exhaust mods.

Just ordered the sunshade from courtesyparts.com and look forward to any responses.

Not many answers, but congats on your new ride.

There have been a lot of threads about gas, so I'll just say premium unleaded is highly recommended, whether it's 91 or 93 octane. You'll get better mileage and better performance and some of us think your engine will thank you for not forcing it to ratchet down the timing to allow regular gas to be digested.

Since you don't have the Bose audio (?), you should be able to do more with your unit than those of us with it. I'm no audio expert, but I think you'll need some extra amp to drive aftermarket speakers.

There apparently are aftermarket HID's available, but watch out for the illegal ones and the "fake HID's" (which are basically just blue-colored light bulbs). Be ready to pay a bunch for good units. You might start at clearcorners.com, or just do a web search on "xenon" or "HID".

Alloy wheels can be chromed, but there's another expensive mod. And it's tricky to get chrome to stick to aluminum alloys, so I wouldn't use anyone but the best if I were you. Flaking chrome looks like crap.

Good luck!

Mike
Old 04-14-2004, 08:46 PM

And one more word on octane:

Whatever octane you settle on, do not switch back and forth. It takes the Maxima computer several tankfulls to completely adjust to a new octane.

Premium has been specified for the Maxima for years. I have Maxima-owning friends who automatically use the cheapest low-grade gas, and the Maxima seems to adjust. But I would think some effiency and performance is lost, and off brands do not usually have as many additives and detergents as the name brands.

I usually use premium the first three years, then drop to midgrade. I have never (and will never) put low grade gas in a Maxima.

But that is just me . . .
Old 04-14-2004, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
And one more word on octane:

(and will never)
Not even when the good stuff hits $4 a gallon?

1)I love my Max.
2)I love the mileage.
3)I HATE GASSING UP WITH PREMIUM at these prices.

Guess I'll get over #3 since #1 takes control when I get back in after gassing up. :
Old 04-18-2004, 06:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

lol max cat