6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Can the glovebox alignment be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 04:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Can the glovebox alignment be fixed?

Since everyone has the damn glovebox mislaignment, which drives me friggin crazy, can this be fixed? has anybody fixed this? Have the dealers fixed this? how did Nissan miss this? Please tell me this is fixable.

i wish i wasnt so damn picky, between this and the scratched nav display cover, i feel like a need a new car, hahaha im psycho.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've attempted to have mine fixed, but it still wasn't quite right when they were done...
Old 04-21-2004, 04:56 AM

jeez, whats wrong with nissan. did they replace it? is your right side out further than the left? thats my problem, it needs to go in more.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:49 AM

I just looked in the 2004 maxima brochure that they give out at the dealership. There is a nice picture of the dash, and a nice shot of the glove compartment. man it looks nice and aligned in the picture. I wonder what they used in the picture to get it right. I plan on bringing this damn book with me when i get the car serviced, and if they give me crap about aligning it I will use this book as a weapon. My app is May 1st, I will post my results.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:50 AM

same problem here. I've attempted to fix it myself but I've tried everything with no luck. I've owned so many Nissan's but this will probably be the last. I started with a '93 hardbody truck, '95 pathfinder, '93 300ZX, and now the Maxima...but the workmanship on this car is total crap. My next move will most likely be Mercedes.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:54 AM

Yea I agree, I mean I just bought it so I hate to thinks its crap. But some things are poorly designed. I cant say I wont buy another nissan, I just wont be another first generation model of any car. When the 2005's come out, I guarantee there will be some nice changes to the interior.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:06 AM

yes the glove can be fixed
call me 2165332991
paul
Old 04-21-2004, 06:17 AM

I'd rather avoid calling OHIO (long distance) do you mind posting procedural steps? That would be greatly appreciated. Is this something that must be done over the phone? Do you charge for your assistance?
Old 04-21-2004, 06:34 AM

no charge
can i call you to tell
paul
Old 04-21-2004, 06:38 AM

Don't you think procedural steps would be easier? I'm sure others would appreciate as well
Old 04-21-2004, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by mattman2003
yes the glove can be fixed
call me 2165332991
paul
Mattman, you left your phone # on another post (http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=303817) and you're asking people to call you about routine stuff. What's up with that? Besides, the # you left on the other post is a different # with a different area code! What's the deal?
Old 04-21-2004, 07:55 AM

first number is my home
second number is my cell phone
i will give you some good insight nissan service departments
just trying to help other nissan car owners
Old 04-21-2004, 08:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Something that could easily be done by typing in one post so EVERYONE can read it at any time instead of having to find a convenient time to call each person one by one to say the same thing over and over.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:10 AM

Guys, next time buy a show room car. You know everything has to be on the money to show the buyers......I purchased a show room car and I have not had a single problem other than I would like for it to be faster...LOL
Old 04-21-2004, 09:25 AM

everyone when going a nissan service department please list more than nine item's that have to be checked on the workorder

example:shimmy in the steering
door out of alignment
hood out of alignment
buzzing or rattle front dash
cheack all tsb's
rattle rear self
rear window frame out of alignment
wind noise
balance tire's
car alignment
check rotor's
glove box out of alignment
Old 04-21-2004, 09:47 AM

I noticed that when I opened the glove compartment, n the left side up near the top, on the inside groove where the door will shut and rest on, there was a little piece of felt that was stuck there. It seems as if the dealers tried unsuccessfully to add thi sfelt and make the left side stick out a little bit appearing to be aligned. At anyrate, I think that maybe if I replace this felt with something thicker up near the left top inside groove of the door, hen perhaps the left side will come out some more when we close the door and this will apear aligned.
am i making sense?
just a thought
Old 04-21-2004, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by CHASE_BXMW
Guys, next time buy a show room car. You know everything has to be on the money to show the buyers......I purchased a show room car and I have not had a single problem other than I would like for it to be faster...LOL
My car was the showroom copy and one of the two things wrong was the misaligned glove box. The dealer replaced the latch which they said was crooked, after they realized they weren't going to convince me that I should accept it that way since "they all came that way". It's a lot better now but not perfect.

The second problem was the misaligned hood which I have not seen mentioned here, but in my case if you opened the hood there was no way to close it again. Dealer adjusted latch and while the hood has to be slammed really hard it will close now.

Without a doubt there is a quality issue over there in Tennessee as this is my third Maxima and the first that had to be returned for any type of adjustment.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:32 PM

Mine is out of alignment and it is the last thing that I would worry about. I have too much fun with my Max to notice...
Old 04-21-2004, 02:13 PM

What I did and the glove box looks good.

Under the glove box there is a screw to the far left corner. Take the screw out and place several washers behind the plastic tab and in front of the metal mounting bracket. You will need about 1/2 inch of washers. you can see as you pull the corner out the miss-alignment goes away. Well at least it did for me.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:14 PM

didn't notice the misalignment until you guys posted the porblem, debating if i sould fight the dealership to get it fixed, they still havn't fixed the damn exaust pinning on the TSB
Old 04-21-2004, 03:48 PM

Sorry Joseph ZHeng, this board made me realize it too in some other thread, thats why i started this one. Its almost liek u shoudlnt read this forum unless u have a problem
Old 04-21-2004, 04:26 PM

the glove box can be fixed just take it out and when you put it back together make sure everything goes back in nice and tight
Old 04-21-2004, 05:15 PM

ingedients thanks to "dfurlano"
1.4 washers, lyin around garage
2.1 black longer screw slightly smaller radius,(works hopefully holds) lyin around garage
popped those suckers on behine glovcompartment console, beware not to lose these when u close the console, almost as perfect as im gonna get, looks good from the eye, still if u push on the right side it can go in some but then things arent flush.
nice tip dfurlano. i hope my poor hardware hols up and this thing doens thave too much tension or something. :-)
Old 04-21-2004, 10:06 PM

I am going to need to see a diagram or photo of this fix, because I'm not sure I understand how it's being done. My alignment is, like everyone else's, off kilter, with the right side always leaning down. I always thought it was the fact that the car's documentation (including the nav system's book, which is pretty thick) weighing down the box. But I emptied it and discovered that I'm suffering with the epidemic, too.

I've got screws and washers galore. Somebody just clarify the directions visually, please.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:03 AM

I think Im going to redo mine this weekend with the right size screw and perhaps a "bushing" instead of washers.

Anyways, 2004SexMissile, I can take a pic this weekend and I will tell you know.
1. Open glove box, youll see a little latch in the inside where the door conencts too, remove the 2 screws on that latch, and the latch will coem off too. Then remove the 2 other screws on the left and right of the latch. they help hold the compartment in.
2. once those 4, identical looking screws are out, you want to kind of tug at the molding inside so pull out the compartment a little bit, the compartment is clipped in so it doesnt not require to much tugging.
3. once the compartment is out a little bit and you can see where the screws screw into, simple replace the far left screw with a longer one, and place some washers or bushing behind the compartment molding and before the hole. this will make that side of the compartment aligned with the right once you screw everything back in normal. Be careful when you reattach the compartment molding, you dont want to lose the washers on the inside somewhere.
4. then put the other screws and latch on as normal.
5.should look almost perfect,.
6. may take a few tries to get it right, and the amount of washers, try about 4 or 5.

again ill post a pic this weekend when i redo mine.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:39 AM

Thats not what I did.

I left out an important detail. You need to remove the console side panel to see the screw. It just pops off by pulling on it.

Underneath the glovebox, like your looking for something on the floor.

So first remove the console side cover, its a small cover on the lower part of the console on the passanger side. You will now see the far left screw that holds the bottom of the glovebox to the dash frame. Take the screw out. You can now pull the tab that the screw went in out with your hand. When you do this the alignment gets better. Now find a few washers. Put the washers between the tab where the screw goes and the metal frame where the screw actuals grips. I used the same screw there was no need to change it.

You can see the washers (silver) behind the tab in the photo.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:55 AM

damn, i went through all that other crap for nothing. my way works well, but its a messy job on the inside... but looks well on the outside.

im gonna restore my original stock job and try yours late today. does yours look much better? how many washers did you use? and you could still use the same screw???
Old 04-26-2004, 10:39 PM

Haven't been on the site for a while but noticed that day before yesterday and it's like it' calls my name when I drive and I gotta look down at it, gotta fix it this wknd!!!
Old 04-27-2004, 02:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Had the same problem with my glovebox. I bought small clear rubber pads about the size of a pea (their used to put on the back of pictures you hang on the wall so it doesnt keep moving) They come in different sizes, I put one on the upper left hand corner of the door and when closed its perfect. You can hardley notice it when the door is open because its clear. It took me 2 minutes to do this.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by burkjb
Had the same problem with my glovebox. I bought small clear rubber pads about the size of a pea (their used to put on the back of pictures you hang on the wall so it doesnt keep moving) They come in different sizes, I put one on the upper left hand corner of the door and when closed its perfect. You can hardley notice it when the door is open because its clear. It took me 2 minutes to do this.
This is only effective if the glove box door is too far in when closed. In the cases where the door is protruding outward these pads would have no effect.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:37 AM

The washers work so well, the glove box is damn near perfect after using washers like "dfurlano" suggested.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:40 AM

Mr H,

I agree, my wife thinks it is no big deal, however I hear it calling my name also. Thanks for the fix dfur, you are the man... You need to get a job at Nissan...

Reese
Old 04-28-2004, 06:04 AM

I must lead a charmed life ... I don't even know what this misaligned glovebox issue is all about. Mine was fine right from the start, so it doesn't affect all Maximas.

Mike
Old 04-28-2004, 06:21 AM

Perhaps the dealers fixed the box prior to sellign the vehicle. I noticed that somebody tried to fix mine, because I saw some aftermarket adhesive felt in the door jam which failed to fix the align. I removed it. Perhaps the delaers had already added washers to some cars?
I swear though, reading this board brings our so many flaws in ones car.
we should start discussing all the nice things.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:30 AM

The washer trick worked well. The box still can be nudged a little bit forward when closed, but the right corner no longer hangs. Thanks, dfurlano, for an excellent tip!!!

And, Chris_RI, I do agree about the griping thing: I've nagged about my Max quite a bit, but one year and 29,000 miles later (I commute about 80 miles per day to and from work) I'm still infatuated with the damn thing despite my best efforts to find flaws. One great thing is that we all have the luxury of coming here to hear good advice.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:42 AM

WOW, 2004SexMissle thats a lot of miles, actually I will prob come close to it though, I've had the car for 7 weeks and I got 3,000 miles on it. I do a lot of driving as well, Hell at least least your getting lots of use out of the car, thats the way I look at it. Have you had any other weird problems, ie bad struts etc... I have a knockin noise from the rear and i think its starting in the front. my delars seem like fools so im scared to let them rip the car apart.

By the way, its so funny, despite the glove compartment fix, i still look at it all the time. My brain is crazy or soemthing. FOr about a week, I was adding/subtracting washers to get it just right.
whats wrong with me?
Old 04-28-2004, 09:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The right hand corner was protruding out and the left hand corner was recessed on my MAX so this fix worked great for me.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:12 AM

Exactly :-)
Old 05-10-2004, 12:51 AM

Dang it, now I gotta fix that damn thing. I read this post before, so when I got my new Max, the glove box was one of the first things I checked for. I'll work on it sometime this week. Dfurlano, hope your tips works as well as everyone testifies. Thanks!
Old 05-11-2004, 01:26 AM

Dfurlano, worked like a charm! thanks for the best tip ever!!!

Quick Reply: Can the glovebox alignment be fixed?