6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Nav system GPS mapping errors

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 03:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nav system GPS mapping errors

I recently returned from a road trip, 1100 miles one way, driven straight through both ways. I noticed on several occasions that the position indicator was not aligned to the hiway I was on, but offset by(my SWAG) ½-1 inch on screen. This was not on newly constructed hiways, but on US 80 going west thru Kansas and again on US 40, west of OKC The, pointer was not aligned to "up" on the screen, but was "crabing". After some minutes, the indicator finally realigned with the hiway, but did it gradually, kinda like intercepting the proper map line. During the problem, the GPS indicator remained "green" I do see this problem driving around town, but, only on trips of an hour or more, and this not a constant thing. Talked to my dealer, he has no idea, thought I would ask here and see if anyone else has experienced similar problems with the Nav system. Dealer indicated he was going to talk with Nissan for any feedback they may have.
DVD has NOT been removed or handled by me.
Map screen HAS been replaced.
BTW, GREAT road car...avg 79mph going, and 78.3 returning Memphis-Colorado Springs-Memphis...No tickets, thanks in NO small part to V1<GrinZ>
Old 04-24-2004, 06:43 AM

I've heard this is a 'minor' problem with many NAV units. Garmin has a technology they call "rubber-banding" that sort of makes the pointer stick to the road like it's rubber-banded to it, I guess.

I don't have the OEM NAV, but do have a Garmin 2620, and I also just returned last night from a 3500-mile road trip to the northeast. FWIW, I did not see this happen a single time with my unit.

As an aside, did you find any meaningful mapping errors of any other kind? I found quite a few cases of Mapquest not showing things like McDonalds along major interstates (duh ... what's more of a landmark than McDonalds?), and a couple of places that just flat weren't where they were supposed to be, and never had been. I'm curious how accurate the Nissan unit is in this regard.

Mike
Old 04-27-2004, 07:09 AM
Banned

I had this happen to me last weekend. I had a new destination set and was zooming in and out of the map when it got confused. I went back between map and destination and it seemed to correct itself.

On a side note, I live near a race track and the track itself appears in the middle of the road. Real cool when you have people in the car a show them that you are racing on track!

Also, I heard that a new GPS system DVD is being tested that will take the map down to 1/16 of a mile scale instead of the 1/4 mile scale that we presently have. Hope this will be an updated DVD that doesn't require an upgraded DVD drive.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Garmin StreetPilot units have a feature called "Lock On Road" this helps the unit stay on the roads because the GPS signal can bounce your location around. I thought this would be a standard practice on other GPS units so that this problem would not occur. The 2610/2620 units from Garmin never have the problem of showing you off of the road. This sounds like a pretty big issue for a factory navigation system.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:22 AM

The biggest problem I've had with my nav system is that my Delphi XM Roady was interfering with the GPS, a problem that supposedly can be addressed by contacting Delphi and getting a replacement unit. In my case, I moved the radio and have experienced nothing but "Green"-level signal strength on the map since.

I am hopeful that an updated DVD-ROM will be available soon, however, and for a reasonable price.
Old 05-10-2004, 05:05 PM
Banned

Mine froze up on me twice last weekend.

It happened about halfway thru thru a 3 hour trip in about the same area, I-75 near Lima Ohio. It's working now but its disappointing to have an intermediate problem with a $2000 option.

I did a search on www.freshalloy.com and found that the fx35/45 navi systems have been doing the same thing lately. They freeze up and then report a disk error or wrong software version. Also, mine is a December build so it should not have the problem desribed in the TSB issued on the navi units from last August.

I still love this car. It's just a computer bug and I'm not going to let it ruin my attitude.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:12 PM

I saw the same thing recently with my nav system. It was the first time i drove the car for 2+ hours. It froze up twice saying some kind of disc error. I ejected the DVD and put it back on and it worked fine. Later during the drive it did it again. But about 20 minutes later, it corrected itself and started workign again. I'm thinking it has to do with being on for an extended amount of time. I've never seen it happen driving around town. I have another trip planned in a few weeks, so we'll see if it does it again. I talked to the dealership, and they said they never heard of this happening. Has anyone else encountered this???
Old 05-10-2004, 07:13 PM

How can I find out when my car was built? Is it etched into the car somewhere?
Old 05-11-2004, 04:53 AM
Banned

I'm pretty sure the build date is on a sticker on the driver's side door.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:34 PM

I have been having the same problem since October,at least twice a month. Everytime I remove and reinstall the disk and it usually works. I have talked to 3 dealers and of course they haven't heard the problem before. One didn't even know where the DVD was located. I have Version 6.1