6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

I'm sure you knew, so why wasn't I warned?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 11:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm sure you knew, so why wasn't I warned?!

I picked up my Maxima on the 8th of April. Today is the 27th. I just went over 1200 miles and had been babying the "beast" up to this point. Now, mind you, I also drive a 2004 350Z so I know a little bit about acceleration. The "Z" is a six speed, the Max an automatic. ...Now I'm no gearhead, (he said fondly), nor do I care how fast I can cover 1/4 mile. I couldn't even tell you what a good 0-60 time is. And , Lord knows I'm not looking to fiddle around up near the top end speed of any car with more horses than a merry-go-round at M.J.'s place. Fun to drive, good looking cars (that I can afford) just happen to be my weakness ...and I'd been getting weak in the knees since I first saw pics of the Maxima way back when.

So, anyway, I'm leaving work this evening and it hits me as I glance at the odometer, "Hey, I'm over 1200 miles!", and, like Gunny Gunderson, I gun it!
WHY DIDN'T SOMEBODY IN THIS FORUM WARN ME?!?!? ...A little "Hey, if you're gonna gun it you might oughta tense up like you're gonna take a punch or something." MAN! My head snapped back, my jaw clenched, my neck stiffened up, and it looked as if the windshield turned into a thin slot and out of it I could see nothing but darkness...then I realized I was looking out of the skyview. GEES! (No pun intended) After I righted myself I had to pull over and check in my thoughtfully appointed illuminated drivers side vanity mirror to see if my face had stretch marks. If I ever need to get the last drop of A-1 out of the bottle I now know where to go. This car has awesome "Here to There Placement". She's got a nice little HOooowl, too.

So now I've taken it upon myself to let any other unsuspecting souls know that if you plan on putting your foot down once you've crossed that 1200 mile break in period, the 0-60, 1/4 mile and what ever else time for the Maxima is Quick, Fast, and a Hurry Up!

YOU HAVE NOW BEEN WARNED!
Old 04-26-2004, 11:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oh yeah, always wear your seatbelt and please drive responsibly.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Who knew ??
Old 04-27-2004, 06:02 AM

You mean the guys in the G35 and TL forums are wrong???

The Maxima really is fast?

I dunno ... I need some time to think about this ...

Mike
Old 04-27-2004, 09:28 PM

ILMax - I can't decide if you've been reading too much Tennessee Williams, or maybe Papa Hemmingway . . .

When the roads are wet, just remember the Max is front wheel drive. The combination of great force applied to the front wheels causing the weight of the car to shift to the back wheels (from sudden acceleration) will get you quite a spin. I intended to 'accelerate' out of a sharp curve on a wet road, and the spinning front tires simply plowed into the oncoming lane. Luckily, nothing was there. Totally different than rear wheel drive (which actually has worse problems on wet or frozen surfaces).
Old 04-28-2004, 10:09 AM

Yep - she's fast. My modded 6th gen Max really eats up roadway in a hurry.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah, JiuJitsuThug, I've seen your Maxima. One word: SHA-WEET!
Old 04-28-2004, 03:53 PM

oh how i remember that feeling, when i first test drove mine, last summer. Instant satisfaction, and a made up mind on what car to buy.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the props bradda!

Pimpin with the MAX brotherhood...
Old 04-29-2004, 07:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ILMax
I picked up my Maxima on the 8th of April. Today is the 27th. I just went over 1200 miles and had been babying the "beast" up to this point. Now, mind you, I also drive a 2004 350Z so I know a little bit about acceleration. The "Z" is a six speed, the Max an automatic. ...Now I'm no gearhead, (he said fondly), nor do I care how fast I can cover 1/4 mile. I couldn't even tell you what a good 0-60 time is. And , Lord knows I'm not looking to fiddle around up near the top end speed of any car with more horses than a merry-go-round at M.J.'s place. Fun to drive, good looking cars (that I can afford) just happen to be my weakness ...and I'd been getting weak in the knees since I first saw pics of the Maxima way back when.

So, anyway, I'm leaving work this evening and it hits me as I glance at the odometer, "Hey, I'm over 1200 miles!", and, like Gunny Gunderson, I gun it!
WHY DIDN'T SOMEBODY IN THIS FORUM WARN ME?!?!? ...A little "Hey, if you're gonna gun it you might oughta tense up like you're gonna take a punch or something." MAN! My head snapped back, my jaw clenched, my neck stiffened up, and it looked as if the windshield turned into a thin slot and out of it I could see nothing but darkness...then I realized I was looking out of the skyview. GEES! (No pun intended) After I righted myself I had to pull over and check in my thoughtfully appointed illuminated drivers side vanity mirror to see if my face had stretch marks. If I ever need to get the last drop of A-1 out of the bottle I now know where to go. This car has awesome "Here to There Placement". She's got a nice little HOooowl, too.

So now I've taken it upon myself to let any other unsuspecting souls know that if you plan on putting your foot down once you've crossed that 1200 mile break in period, the 0-60, 1/4 mile and what ever else time for the Maxima is Quick, Fast, and a Hurry Up!

YOU HAVE NOW BEEN WARNED!
That was a funny narration!!! You floored me w/ that one! Very entertaining indeed... Glad you were able to finally reveal the beast w/in!!! Welcome to the club! Enjoy your MAX as the rest of us do!!! But BE CAREFUL NEXT TIME!!!
Old 05-01-2004, 10:30 AM

damn it left that big of an impression on you? i'd hate to take for a ride in my car.... youd either leave fecies everywhere or have a heart attack.
the maxima is 260HP right, or close to?
theyre surely sharp cars for their class. i wouldnt mind owning one to tug the family around in.... BUT.... the wife had to have an SUV ...
Old 05-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

quote: damn it left that big of an impression on you? i'd hate to take for a ride in my car.... youd either leave fecies everywhere or have a heart attack.

As a matter of fact, I keep a defibrillator and a box of depends handy when I take the Z for a spin. We live, we learn.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by ILMax
quote: damn it left that big of an impression on you? i'd hate to take for a ride in my car.... youd either leave fecies everywhere or have a heart attack.

As a matter of fact, I keep a defibrillator and a box of depends handy when I take the Z for a spin. We live, we learn.
i really like the Z's... hopefully they come back with a turbo model again.
if the Z gets u that excited then i really need to take u for a ride....
500rwhp and 460rwtq!! make sure to bring some extra depends ...
its an 03 cobra ....
i think you should get the greddy TT kit for your car
Old 05-01-2004, 03:59 PM

ILMAX, it was worth waiting for. Now with an Injen CAI you will add another 15 or so wheel HP so they claim.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 4dscKlr
its an 03 cobra ....

With that many ponies it can't be too far from empty, even on a full tank. I'll probably only need a box and a half of depends. I'll ride in your cobra but you've got to promise to take it easy. ie: No two wheelin' it around corners, ...or changing lanes without signaling, for that matter. Here's the route: You rocket me directly to the nearest hospital emergency room. That'll be about all I can handle. While they're yellin' "CLEAR" & "CHANGE", (Defib & Depends), you rumble on over to the closest high octane pump, refuel the cobra, and head on home.
My fiance' can come get me. I'm sure I'll be needing the "Driving Miss Daisy" treatment after a 500rwhp/460rwtq trip.

Oh yeah, I bought the Z for my fiance'. I get to drive it allright ....When it needs some gas! Honestly though, she won't even let me put a spoiler on it.
And yes, I do wear the pants...She just tells me when and how to put 'em on. Like I said before, we live, we learn. (Yes dear.)
Old 05-02-2004, 02:59 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

Originally Posted by JiuJitsuThug
Thanks for the props bradda!

Pimpin with the MAX brotherhood...
...hopefully we'll meet on the i-15 one day.....and see who can rip it up the fastest !.....
Old 05-02-2004, 07:55 AM
Banned

its an 03 cobra ....
Okay, 4dscKlr. The point that ILMax is making is that punching the MAX for the first time was a pleasantly overwhelming experience, because he DIDN'T EXPECT IT. That's the hitch. Now don't you think one would brace theirselves or @ least have a clue when getting into a Cobra/Mustang or a Z, being that BOTH are bona-fide sports cars? The MAX is in a totally different class here. It's the whole element of surprise that lurks under the hood of the MAX... It gets frustrating seeing cool threads like this go astray when someone starts boasting about a totally different kind of car. I mean don't get me wrong, I like the Cobra and all (other than the fact that it's a FORD)...it's a whole lot of muscle and looks really good, but we're straying off topic just a little here...
Old 05-02-2004, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by hofb99
Okay, 4dscKlr. The point that ILMax is making is that punching the MAX for the first time was a pleasantly overwhelming experience, because he DIDN'T EXPECT IT. That's the hitch. Now don't you think one would brace theirselves or @ least have a clue when getting into a Cobra/Mustang or a Z, being that BOTH are bona-fide sports cars? The MAX is in a totally different class here. It's the whole element of surprise that lurks under the hood of the MAX... It gets frustrating seeing cool threads like this go astray when someone starts boasting about a totally different kind of car. I mean don't get me wrong, I like the Cobra and all (other than the fact that it's a FORD)...it's a whole lot of muscle and looks really good, but we're straying off topic just a little here...
you can see me and ILMax are totally having fun with our convos here, and NO it hasnt gotten off subject. i only brought the cobra into it cause he was saying how much MORE acceleration / speed the Z brought to the table. at that point i figured any other car could be brought in for $hits and giggles.
notice the "theyre surely sharp cars for their class. i wouldnt mind owning one to tug the family around in.... BUT.... the wife had to have an SUV ..."
i did say though i woul scare him in mine, but i left it at that. were having fun here as you can tell no need to spoil it....
i totally thin the styling, refinement, and over all handling of a Z is far superior to my cobra. the only thing the cobra has going for it is the bone stock 390 hp (flywheel of course). granted this is only in the 03-04 cobras, nothing else. with fully forged internals and a 6 speed tranny ( ford finally did something right) i couldnt pass up the chance of getting the "RAW HORSEPOWER". yes that pretty much is all it has going for it. but after $3k in mods approx. i put down 502 rwhp, and 467 rwtq. i would love to meet ILMax to take him for a spin and hopefully scare the $hit out of him. ITS JUST FUN .... thats all .....
i could have replied "thats great man congrats on the power of you maxima" and that would have been it......
now we are holding a conversation here and thats fine. if i didnt offend him, it shouldnt offend you right?

BTW ..... the 6th gen maximas are the best in my opinion. when the cobrs paid off thats gonna be my family car while the wife rolls her SUV ...
Old 05-03-2004, 09:55 AM
Banned

you can see me and ILMax are totally having fun with our convos here, and NO it hasnt gotten off subject. i only brought the cobra into it cause he was saying how much MORE acceleration / speed the Z brought to the table. at that point i figured any other car could be brought in for $hits and giggles.
notice the "theyre surely sharp cars for their class. i wouldnt mind owning one to tug the family around in.... BUT.... the wife had to have an SUV ..."
i did say though i woul scare him in mine, but i left it at that. were having fun here as you can tell no need to spoil it....
i totally thin the styling, refinement, and over all handling of a Z is far superior to my cobra. the only thing the cobra has going for it is the bone stock 390 hp (flywheel of course). granted this is only in the 03-04 cobras, nothing else. with fully forged internals and a 6 speed tranny ( ford finally did something right) i couldnt pass up the chance of getting the "RAW HORSEPOWER". yes that pretty much is all it has going for it. but after $3k in mods approx. i put down 502 rwhp, and 467 rwtq. i would love to meet ILMax to take him for a spin and hopefully scare the $hit out of him. ITS JUST FUN .... thats all .....
i could have replied "thats great man congrats on the power of you maxima" and that would have been it......
now we are holding a conversation here and thats fine. if i didnt offend him, it shouldnt offend you right?

BTW ..... the 6th gen maximas are the best in my opinion. when the cobrs paid off thats gonna be my family car while the wife rolls her SUV ...
That's cool. Just making sure there's no blaspheming on the MAX! I know I'm not the moderator, but sometimes us little "soldiers" gotta hold it down, you know? Thanks for understanding! And thanks so much for the very tactful clarification! Need more like you around these parts!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by hofb99
That's cool. Just making sure there's no blaspheming on the MAX! I know I'm not the moderator, but sometimes us little "soldiers" gotta hold it down, you know? Thanks for understanding! And thanks so much for the very tactful clarification! Need more like you around these parts!
since im extremely new here... im assuming theres lots of flame wars, that was the reasoning for your defensive post.
i can assure you im not here to flame the 6th gens ...
cheers
Old 05-03-2004, 10:46 AM
Banned

since im extremely new here... im assuming theres lots of flame wars, that was the reasoning for your defensive post.
i can assure you im not here to flame the 6th gens ...
cheers
You're absolutely right. And, yes, we get those MAX haters (or 6thGEN haters) ALL THE FREAKIN' TIME! Just gets my blood boiling, because I can't understand why they hang around these forums if they don't like the car in the first place...??? Anyway, a very hearty welcome to MAX-LAND, and good reading/posting to you! And thanks again for the calm/cool response. Don't know if I would've been that cool...