6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

6 speed tranny went out

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 12:29 PM

6 speed tranny went out

I have a 04 maxima with the 6 speed that I bought new in november, and last saturday I was driving home and went to shift from first to second, and had to force into second, then a few miles down the road, the damn thing stuck in gear and wouldn't get out, the shifter locked up and there I was stuck. I got it towed to the dealership, and they tell me that its something internal, but there not going to tear it down to figure out what is wrong with it, but rather just give me a new tranny which they say has an updated design. I am all for the new tranny, because I wouldn't let them put a rebuild in my car because it only has 7,000 miles on it, but I would really like to know what went wrong with the transmission. I loved my car up to this point, and haven't had a single other problem with it, but i do find the fact that a manual tranny went out on a basically brand new car to be troubling. Has anyone else had this same problem, or does anyone know what exactly might have gonewrong with my tranny.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:07 PM

I posted a thread earlier this week my car when i shift from first to second it's a little hard to go in second gear,and when it goes in ,it grinds a little.
Old 04-29-2004, 12:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MAdness
I have a 04 maxima with the 6 speed that I bought new in november, and last saturday I was driving home and went to shift from first to second, and had to force into second, then a few miles down the road, the damn thing stuck in gear and wouldn't get out, the shifter locked up and there I was stuck. I got it towed to the dealership, and they tell me that its something internal, but there not going to tear it down to figure out what is wrong with it, but rather just give me a new tranny which they say has an updated design. I am all for the new tranny, because I wouldn't let them put a rebuild in my car because it only has 7,000 miles on it, but I would really like to know what went wrong with the transmission. I loved my car up to this point, and haven't had a single other problem with it, but i do find the fact that a manual tranny went out on a basically brand new car to be troubling. Has anyone else had this same problem, or does anyone know what exactly might have gonewrong with my tranny.
Check out this thread: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=295270 About a 1/4 mile after I noticed a small amount of smoke, I shifted into second and heard a "clunk". It sounded like the friggin transmission fell out! Anyways, that's when this whole ordeal started. I've spoken with Nissan extensively in regards to this, so if you have any questions, let me know. By the way, I still haven't gotten my new car. 6 speeds are tough to find. It worries me that someone else has had a similar experience as me with their 2K4 Maxima. I really enjoyed my car, but these quality control problems are becoming a concern. According to your description, it appears that whatever happened to my Maxima is most likely the same problem.
Old 04-29-2004, 02:57 PM

MAdness, was there any problems leading up to this? ie Did this happen just once or has it been slowly getting hard to shift .
Marc1974 mentioned a little grinding going from 1st to 2nd. I had to almost double clutch until I learned that the syncronize works if you are about 3500rpm when you shift. Then no grind.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by RaTgoesMaX
MAdness, was there any problems leading up to this? ie Did this happen just once or has it been slowly getting hard to shift .
Marc1974 mentioned a little grinding going from 1st to 2nd. I had to almost double clutch until I learned that the syncronize works if you are about 3500rpm when you shift. Then no grind.
Mine was grinding bad goin from 2nd to third when accelerating hard, but it was a random occurance, so I ignored it, partially because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to repeat the problem for the dealership because it was so random, but obvoiusly that was the wrong decision, cause it left me stranded for 2 hours waitin for a flatbed. But I am getting a brand new 6 speed now(which has supposedly been on the way for 2 weeks), so I will wait and see what happens while driving the lame sentra loaner car the dealership gave me.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:34 AM

So it was probably just a bad tranny from the factory? The new one is identical, right?
Old 05-04-2004, 07:08 AM

Well, I got her back, with a new tranny and clutch. I guess the sent the bad one out to nissan to determine what went wrong with it since they claim these tranny's never malfunction, so hopefully I can get some idea as to what went wrong with it. The new gear box feels a lot smoother than the old one did, and it is supposedly the exact same model, so mine must have been bad from the get go. Nothing is ever perfect, so I guess i found the one in a million defect that comes along with 6-sigma quality control.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:15 AM

Great, I was beginning to wonder if there was a new and improved gear box. Now all you need is a Short Shifter.