6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

CryO2 - Cryogenic Cooling (Intake, Fuel, Intercooler)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 03:57 PM

CryO2 - Cryogenic Cooling (Intake, Fuel, Intercooler)

I've had a few people ask me about the CryO2 Intake Cooler that's listed in my sig, so I thought I'd share.

Product is from DEI (http://www.designengineering.com)

Descriptions of what this and their other products do can be found, in detail, on their site. The concept is simple though. In the case of the intake cooler, liquid CO2 is passed through a metal "bulb" that sits inside your intake pipe. They give you about a 4" pipe with this bulb suspended in the middle of it. The liquid CO2 passes through the bulb and supercools it, reducing your intake air temperature and density.

I live in a hot climate and we all know heat is a killer on the dragstrip. So this really helps out when it's 80+ degrees outside and the engine is suffering from heat soak. The install took me about 6 hours, only because I had to modify my intake to fit the extra 4" of pipe in front of my MAF. Also, I wanted the arm switch hidden under the center console armrest, with the "Go baby, Go!" button mounted between the switches for my seat warmers (like I need those here!!)

Pics follow. If you have questions please ask. By the way, I don't sell this, nor do I know the first thing about DEI other than what's on their website. I just like the product and thought I'd share. It's quite ingenius really. Gains are noticable!

5 lb CO2 tank mounted in the trunk:

Intake setup under the hood. 4" pipe is mounted betwen the blue and black sleeves and has the solenoid attached to it:

CO2 Vent (where the CO2 gets vented to the atmosphere, sounds very cool)

Arm switch inside center console armrest:

This button activates the system (ugly and blue, will have to be replaced with some sort of factory button to look nicer)
Old 05-05-2004, 04:05 PM

Too many pics... here is the last one

Complete kit before install:
Old 05-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So do you just leave it armed all the time for mo' mad crazeee powa? Wired to a throttle switch to trigger at WOT?

CM.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:25 PM

Not yet, but the kit came with the throttle switch. Installation of the switch is optional. I haven't really figured out a good place to put it yet. If anyone has done this for another system (ie. Nitrous) and knows where to place the WOT switch, I'd like to know.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah I would think that it would be hard to get a switched wired into the throttle since its electronic rather than mechanical. You're right to ask for some help from someone with NOS install experience. Did you post in that forum?

So do you feel you get HP gains that are worth the expense and effort to install the kit? Or is it more of a "track use" only mod?
Old 05-05-2004, 04:37 PM

Yeah, that was exactly my question about the throttle switch. I haven't looked around for answers on that yet, but I will.

About the HP, that's a tough call. It's not a cheap unit, the tank and install kit cost me about 300 and the intake cooler segment was about 150. I personally think it's worth it. Even in a cool climate it would help because the warmer your engine gets, the less the cool air outside helps performance. This is basically like cool air on demand. I don't know what the gains would be in terms of HP numbers. Here is a quote from their website:

We tested a naturally aspirated civic with 110base HP on an 85degree day with 72% humidity using just one air intake segment and found a 9% increase in horsepower.
If that held true for our Max, that's a pretty decent gain.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:27 AM

Well I found a few answers about the WOT switch, but nothing that really seems like it's the right way to do it. One suggestion for mounting a WOT switch on a drive-by-wire system is to place it under the accelerator. For some reason I just don't think that's such a great idea. Wouldn't it break if you stomped on the pedal really hard? Who knows, I have to keep looking.