6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Fresh Air Duct not nearly as cool as outside air

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 01:39 PM
slb

Fresh Air Duct not nearly as cool as outside air

Saw a guy on the alt.autos.nissan.maxima newsgroup post that when he has just fresh air coming thru the vents (auto off and temp turned lowest) that the air is not nearly as cool as the outside air. Ive noticed this too BIG TIME. Is this just simply a calabration fix? Anyone else feel like you have to run the AC more than you should have to because of this issue?
SLB
Old 05-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I feel that a little... I can't stand heat, so I use alot of A/C. Even when outside temp read 67 degrees, I'd need to run A/C for 60 degrees. If I run regular vent with 60, it just doesn't seem cool enough...

Plus, I have another dilemma. I'm not sure if it's due to heavy A/C use, but I sometimes smell bad odor from the vent. Does anyone know why?
Old 05-11-2004, 05:27 PM

it's probably mildew
Old 05-11-2004, 07:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Its a known issue with the HVAC system in the Maxima. I don't think there is a fix for it.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:30 AM

Remember that when you're venting or using ECON, you're using outside temperature air to obtain your desired inside temp. So if you're using ECON, and its 67 outside and you want 60 in the cabin, the warm 67 degree air blows to achieve your desired 60 degree temperature. But, if its 67 and you're venting 60 and you're driving b/t 35 & 45--- just turn the A/C on.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:56 PM
Banned

- I believe that the Max does have an issue with slightly warmed air coming through the vents with the temp turned all the way down (60). It's probably due to the intake ports sitting right on top of the engine compartment. I've had other cars do the same.

The air will sometimes cool when you run the car at highway speeds. The intake ports probably cool off after a while.

- To get rid of your A/C stink, shut off the compressor a mile or two before you reach your destination. This gets the mildew out of the air ducts. You will notice the difference.

All cars have this issue.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:49 PM

THIS DRIVES ME NUTS!

You should be able to get outside temperature air in the cabin without it being warmed by the HVAC system. As "CanadianMoFo" said, it is a known Nissan design flaw.

The only workaround I have found is to hit the "OFF" button, lower the temp to 60 degrees, and then hit the fan "UP" button a couple of times to get the air moving. Depending on ambient conditions, you may have to hit the "FRESH AIR" button again and turn the A/C off again. This works as long as the outside temp is below 70 degress.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by MaxMaybe
THIS DRIVES ME NUTS!

You should be able to get outside temperature air in the cabin without it being warmed by the HVAC system. As "CanadianMoFo" said, it is a known Nissan design flaw.

The only workaround I have found is to hit the "OFF" button, lower the temp to 60 degrees, and then hit the fan "UP" button a couple of times to get the air moving. Depending on ambient conditions, you may have to hit the "FRESH AIR" button again and turn the A/C off again. This works as long as the outside temp is below 70 degress.
As someone else pointed out, this is the case with almost every car ... the ductwork lives under the hood, and the hot air under there can't help but heat up that ductwork.

What I don't get is why anyone would turn off their A/C. I run it all year 'round, because in cold weather it dehumidifies the air, making it more comfortable and reducing window fogging. If it's to save gas, I'll bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference with the A/C off vs. on. Modern A/C systems rob so little power from the engine that mileage hardly varies either way. Notice that the "Auto" setting on the climate always has the A/C on.

Mike
Old 05-12-2004, 04:08 PM

Thanks for all your posts... I'll try to use the vent mainly w/ the AC on, and also turn it off before I arrive at the destination to avoid mildew.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:44 PM

Mike_TX,

I guess I'm from the "old school" of trying to be as efficient as possible with a car.....not counting the "blast-offs" when I'm first in line at an intersection, of course. ;-)

EVERY car I have owned (except this Maxima) would allow outside air into the cabin without "conditioning" if you wanted it.

In PA, under "normal" weather conditions with low to mild humidity conditions from October to April, you can get away without using A/C ....especially at night. I would imagine that in the northern part of the country, that would extend to even more months.

The way I look at it, there should be no need to run that compressor during those times. A bonus is that since you aren't using it, you don't have to be concerned with the "mildew build-up" that can occur.

On the other hand, you still should trigger that compressor at least once a week and run it for five minutes or so to keep the seals in good shape.

And, since you constantly have to fight the Maxima HVAC to stay OUT of A/C mode, that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had A/C funk in my last car. They suggested the same thing...shut off the ac....turn up the heat to dry the passageways...and let it run like that for a few minutes before you get home and shut off the car.

Good solution...except for blasting hot air through the vents in the middle of summer. Its disgusting. But it did stop the funk. Then I sold the car and bought the Max because it had the new car smell I was craving.

CM.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I do not get a smell but my a/c seems quite warm what is the problem? Should I bring it to nissan
Old 05-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Banned

I don't think that you have to add heat to eliminate the funky A/C smell. Just switch off the compressor about a mile or two before you park, and leave the temp control at 60. That should take care of the mildew scent.