6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Roof Trim

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2004, 12:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Roof Trim

I'm in the midst of getting my factory grill painted to match my body color (black). I'm thinking of doing this to the roof trim as well. I really don't like the chrome. What do you guys think? Is it worth it?
Old 05-15-2004, 01:04 PM

I have thought a lot about the roof trim. It is very striking on dark colored cars, but hardly noticable on lighter colors, especially the silver.

It crossed my mind that sanding the chrome roof strips (so paint would stick) and painting them black might look good with the silver Maxima.

Edify 11 - I really like the looks of the roof strips on the black Maxima, but if you are going for the total 'blacked out' look, painting the roof strips black could certainly enhance that effect.

I have done that with cars in the past; I felt the blacked-out effect looked more 'serious' than the chrome. Some chrome or argent or silver is OK (especially the wheels), but I have never liked lots and lots of chrome on any vehicle.

But you might want to get the opinions of a few folks younger than me before taking the plunge; us old folks can have strange tastes . . ..
Old 05-15-2004, 01:16 PM

I'm kind of on the fence with the chrome. My first reaction was that I didn't like it. Now it has kinda grown on me though. I think that chrome on the black looks alright. If you are going to paint the roof trimmings black, I would take the emblems off the back. That way there would be no chrome on the car and it would give it a nice clean look.

Are you planning on tinting or blacking out the rear lights?
Old 05-15-2004, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by rabenoja
I'm kind of on the fence with the chrome. My first reaction was that I didn't like it. Now it has kinda grown on me though. I think that chrome on the black looks alright. If you are going to paint the roof trimmings black, I would take the emblems off the back. That way there would be no chrome on the car and it would give it a nice clean look.

Are you planning on tinting or blacking out the rear lights?
I won't get tint or black rear lights. The car looks cleaner without tint IMO. The emblems have already been removed from the back. Only the hamburger remains.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why not just cover the chrome strips with black vinyl. Get a vinyl sign shop to make up two strips to the length and width you need? And if you don't like the look, peel it off.
Old 05-15-2004, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
I have thought a lot about the roof trim. It is very striking on dark colored cars, but hardly noticable on lighter colors, especially the silver. ... But you might want to get the opinions of a few folks younger than me before taking the plunge; us old folks can have strange tastes . . ..

Come on, Light, you're not THAT old! I agree that the roof strips look nice on the darker colors. Haven't really thought about the lighter colors. But I'm keeping my strips chrome. BTW, those of you contemplating a change might want to keep in mind that irreversible mods can lower resale value somewhat.
Old 05-16-2004, 02:23 PM

Keep them chrome as it is. I love the strip. My max is black too and I get compliments even for that chrome strip a lot. It makes the car look unique with it. You should tint the windows also, you think it looks clean stock wait till u tint the windows....a lot cleaner.
Old 05-16-2004, 06:08 PM

You could get a roll of electrical tape and cover it up temporarily so you can see what it looks like.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:41 AM

For the record. I like the chrome trim. But what do i know, i also like my stock grill !

Bob
Old 05-17-2004, 05:38 AM
andymax95

damn bob, what's wrong with you and liking that stock grill, jk. Everyone has there own opinions on what's hot

Old 05-17-2004, 08:29 AM

Please pay no attention to my Canuck brutha Bob. He's obviously in the first stages of SAR's, West Nile Virus, or Mad Cow Disease so he's not really responsible for saying he likes the stock grill. Its the high fever and halucinations that are doing this.

Hopefully he will make a full recovery and soon purchase a nice Trendz grill.