6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

5-speed automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 05:41 PM

5-speed automatic transmission

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is considered a "comparison", but I am going to purchase an 04' Maxima soon and have a concern about the tranny. I think I'm leaning toward the 5-speed auto SE, but have come across a good deal on an SL with the 4-speed.

I test drove a Maxima last year and I am not sure if it had the 4 or 5 speed, but it threw me back in my seat when flooring it. But after test driving the 4 speed it didn't seem to have the same pick up.

Anyway, should I "hold out" for a 5-speed automatic? Do you think they are that much better than the 4-speed?

Thanks in advance...
Old 05-16-2004, 08:24 PM

danted23 - The good deal on the 4 speed SL is probably because, as of Feb 5th, all SLs now have the same 5 speed tranny (and tiptronic shift lever) as the SE. Demand a VERY good deal if you opt for the 4 speed.

The 5 speed gives a little more flexibility, and possibly a slight edge over the 4 speed in zero to sixty times, but not by much. I would be surprised if most drivers could tell much difference without a stopwatch. The 5 speed will also add a tad to the resale value of the car. Much of the fun with the 5 speed is the tiptronic shifter.

Most automotive connoisseurs will opt for the 5 speed over the 4. But for a family man who is searching for a very special-looking set of wheels, but won't be heading for the track on weekends, and doesn't treat each light as a starting line, the 4 speed could be a perfectly good and satisfactory car.

edit - and I am sure you are aware the SL has a firm chassis and firm ride, while the SE has a very firm chassis and a very firm ride. Be sure to compare the rides before finalizing your deal.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:07 PM

Thank you...

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
danted23 - The good deal on the 4 speed SL is probably because, as of Feb 5th, all SLs now have the same 5 speed tranny (and tiptronic shift lever) as the SE. Demand a VERY good deal if you opt for the 4 speed.

The 5 speed gives a little more flexibility, and possibly a slight edge over the 4 speed in zero to sixty times, but not by much. I would be surprised if most drivers could tell much difference without a stopwatch. The 5 speed will also add a tad to the resale value of the car. Much of the fun with the 5 speed is the tiptronic shifter.

Most automotive connoisseurs will opt for the 5 speed over the 4. But for a family man who is searching for a very special-looking set of wheels, but won't be heading for the track on weekends, and doesn't treat each light as a starting line, the 4 speed could be a perfectly good and satisfactory car.

edit - and I am sure you are aware the SL has a firm chassis and firm ride, while the SE has a very firm chassis and a very firm ride. Be sure to compare the rides before finalizing your deal.
Thanks a lot for your insight, I am going to test drive a 5-speed SE tomorrow. You're right about the SL, the ride sure was smooth.