6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Ever try this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 11:19 AM

Ever try this?

I used to own a 1971 Plymouth Cuda 440 and added a Xylene / Mineral Spirits ATF combination to raise the octane level. The car definitely ran smoother and was more responsive - especially at high rpms.

Has anyone ever tried this in their Max or any modern (i.e. fuel injected / computer monitored / emissions controlled) car?

Home Brewed Octane Booster

Thanx!
Old 05-26-2004, 11:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

That stuff sounds like it could make things go:

BOOOM !

Bob

BTW.... my neighbor has a mint condition, low mileage early 70's Cuda (not sure what year). His is orange with the black trim. He's owned it and babied it since new. It's parked in his garage and he hardly ever drives it. I know he's taken it out of the garage and into the lanewyay when i hear it rumbling from across the street. What a beautiful car and sound.

Bob
Old 05-26-2004, 08:50 PM

Shift - don't do it.

There is absolutely no resemblance between the fuel control process in the '04 Maxima and any car of the '70s. I would be surprised if the onboard computer that adjusts for the octane being burned in the '04 Maxima could even adjust for anything over 94.

I'm no technician, but I would bet Nissan could give many reasons why this could damage your engine, catalytic converter, etc, etc. And the onboard computer would also be able to later tell the Nissan techs that you had been a bad boy, and your warranty would be nullified.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Shift - don't do it.

There is absolutely no resemblance between the fuel control process in the '04 Maxima and any car of the '70s. I would be surprised if the onboard computer that adjusts for the octane being burned in the '04 Maxima could even adjust for anything over 94.

I'm no technician, but I would bet Nissan could give many reasons why this could damage your engine, catalytic converter, etc, etc. And the onboard computer would also be able to later tell the Nissan techs that you had been a bad boy, and your warranty would be nullified.
Thanks for the warning. I wasn't planning on trying it just curious coming from the muscle car world. I have seen warnings that it can fry the O2 sensor.

As far as the computer "telling the techs that Iv'e been a bad boy". I am in the software industry and have a love / hate erlationship with computers for this very reason. Big brother is watching us...
Old 05-30-2004, 12:11 PM

Yeah.. I'd never do anything like that either. You never know how it could affect your sensors and u could also do damage to any non-mettalic parts (i.e. gaskets) after continued use..