6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Little Grey Latch in Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 12:06 PM

Little Grey Latch in Trunk

What does it do? It doesn't seem to have any pictures on it, and I've pulled it, and didn't really see anything happen. It kind of looks like it is attached to the tension string to let the seats fold down, but there are already cords for that behind each seat. Anyone know what this is for. The shape of it is similiar to the trunk release, but it's deeper into the trunk, right behind the seats and in between the two cords to release the seats.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:11 PM

It is there in case you try to dispose of a body but they are still alive and want to try to escape...

Ummm. It's an emergency trunk release in case someone somehow gets locked in the trunk.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:23 PM

Yes there are two latches in the truck.. one for the trunk door and the other to fold down the seats, so if you tie someone up then can decide to go out the back or into the car after you. so tie them up good and tight
Old 05-26-2004, 12:25 PM

Simpler solution would be to go in the glove box and turn the switch off - It disables the emergency latch, which is pretty funny - heh.

I guess you guys don't do this too often - Need to watch the Soprano's more
Old 05-26-2004, 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Leopor
Simpler solution would be to go in the glove box and turn the switch off - It disables the emergency latch, which is pretty funny - heh.

I guess you guys don't do this too often - Need to watch the Soprano's more
Yeah, like Nissan thought a person just might possibly still be alive, so they provided a feature to disengage the emergency release!!! lol So silly of Nissan!!! Now why would you want to disengage an emergency release IN THE FREAKING TRUNK??? Anybody want to take a stab?
Old 05-26-2004, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by hofb99
Yeah, like Nissan thought a person just might possibly still be alive, so they provided a feature to disengage the emergency release!!! lol Stupid!!! Now why would you want to disengage an emergency release IN THE FREAKING TRUNK??? Anyone have any ideas?
Oh come on now!!! Can it be any more obvious? You would want to disable it if you KNOW the body is still warm and you don't want them to escape.

Geeez. Freakin' Amateurs.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by SHIFT_NY
Oh come on now!!! Can it be any more obvious? You would want to disable it if you KNOW the body is still warm and you don't want them to escape.

Geeez. Freakin' Amateurs.
Gotta make sure you do the job right, the first time. If you don't disengage it, they can use it to escape. If you do disengage the emergency release latch, they'd start kicking at the trunk. Don't wanna put dents in the Max y'know?
Old 05-26-2004, 05:49 PM
KC's FINEST

I believe the grey lever unlocks the seat backs if you have the key lock engaged. The one on top of the trucn lid is for emergency release. I tried it on the showroom floor when I bought mine By the way... it glows in the dark!
Old 05-26-2004, 08:30 PM

KCmaxx wins the prize.

The handle that allows an opening between the trunk and the passenger compartment will normally have an override lock either on the dash or in the glove box.

The handle that opens the trunk lid from inside the trunk is required by law, and no override of any sort is allowed. The law also specifies this handle must glow in the dark.

KCmaxx is either smart, or writes scripts for The Sopranos.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
KCmaxx wins the prize.

The handle that allows an opening between the trunk and the passenger compartment will normally have an override lock either on the dash or in the glove box.

The handle that opens the trunk lid from inside the trunk is required by law, and no override of any sort is allowed. The law also specifies this handle must glow in the dark.

KCmaxx is either smart, or writes scripts for The Sopranos.
Aaahhhh!!! So the override is for the seatback release and NOT the trunk release. Now THAT makes sense...completely! I recant my original post then... I thought the override in the glovebox was for the trunk release, not the seatback release... Thanks for that clarification, KCmaxx...
Old 05-27-2004, 12:03 PM

Well, turns out you're all wrong

There are 4 ways to open the trunk.

1) With the keychain piece (keyfob)
2) With the lever on the driver's side door
3) With the glow in the dark lever on the inside of the trunk lid
4) With the grey lever inside the trunk near the back seat's middle passage

Now, the switch inside the glovebox ONLY controls option #2 of opening the trunk, it does not control any others. If the switch is on, you may open the trunk using the lever on the driver's side door. If the switch is off, you may not, but you can still use any of the other 3 means of opening the trunk.

The 4th option, contrary to what was said before in this thread, does not control the seat backs (I didn't think it did, considering I have the elite package and my seats don't fold). The 4th way of opening the trunk is so you can pop the trunk while being in the rear seat. You would open the middle passage-way and pull the easily accessible lever. This lever can never be disabled, nor can the glow in the dark one on the inside of the trunk lid, nor can the keyfob.

Hope this clears things up :P
Old 05-27-2004, 12:42 PM
Moderator GT-R

Well, turns out you're all wrong

There are 4 ways to open the trunk.

1) With the keychain piece (keyfob)
2) With the lever on the driver's side door
3) With the glow in the dark lever on the inside of the trunk lid
4) With the grey lever inside the trunk near the back seat's middle passage

Now, the switch inside the glovebox ONLY controls option #2 of opening the trunk, it does not control any others. If the switch is on, you may open the trunk using the lever on the driver's side door. If the switch is off, you may not, but you can still use any of the other 3 means of opening the trunk.

The 4th option, contrary to what was said before in this thread, does not control the seat backs (I didn't think it did, considering I have the elite package and my seats don't fold). The 4th way of opening the trunk is so you can pop the trunk while being in the rear seat. You would open the middle passage-way and pull the easily accessible lever. This lever can never be disabled, nor can the glow in the dark one on the inside of the trunk lid, nor can the keyfob.

Hope this clears things up :P
Turn the switch in the glove box off and lock the glove box. Toss the red key, no fob, to the valet. The valet can then open the driver's door and operate the ignition switch.
Valet can't open the glove box or trunk.
If you lock yourself in the trunk you can either bail out via the glow in the dark tee handle or you can release the seat backs and slither through to the interior and hope no one notices you exiting through a back door. Unless you have the elete package in which case it's up to the individual to make the most graceful exit possible and be ready with an excuse. "You're never going to believe what happened Doc..."
Old 05-27-2004, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by bluemaxx
Turn the switch in the glove box off and lock the glove box. Toss the red key, no fob, to the valet. The valet can then open the driver's door and operate the ignition switch.
Valet can't open the glove box or trunk.
If you lock yourself in the trunk you can either bail out via the glow in the dark tee handle or you can release the seat backs and slither through to the interior and hope no one notices you exiting through a back door. Unless you have the elete package in which case it's up to the individual to make the most graceful exit possible and be ready with an excuse. "You're never going to believe what happened Doc..."
Valet driver would still be able to open the trunk via the grey latch which is reachable from the back seat (and not able to be disabled) - Of course he'd have to know about it though :P

With the elite package you can lock the door that leads to the trunk from the back seat though. lol
Old 05-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Moderator GT-R

Valet driver would still be able to open the trunk via the grey latch which is reachable from the back seat (and not able to be disabled) - Of course he'd have to know about it though :P

With the elite package you can lock the door that leads to the trunk from the back seat though. lol
Whadda you suppose this is for? Check out owners manual p. 1-6. Who knew?
Right side of the rear package shelf otherwise looks like a LATCH attachment point.
Old 05-27-2004, 02:22 PM

Cool - wasn't sure if the non-elites had a lock for the flip down seat.
That's what it is right?
Old 05-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Moderator GT-R

Cool - wasn't sure if the non-elites had a lock for the flip down seat.
That's what it is right?
That's what it is. I didn't know you could lower the seats from the inside. The straps aren't accessable from the interior.