6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rear windshield moulding distorted

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 04:46 AM

Rear windshield moulding distorted

Hey does anybody else have this problem? Notice how the moulding is uneven toward the right, both where it touches the roof and where it's glued to the windshield?

I took it in and they ordered new moulding but they advised against repairing it because of other risks involved whenever removing the windshield.

Thoughts?

Old 05-29-2004, 05:34 AM

I don't know if the molding just pulls off or if you need to remove the glass to take it out. If it just pulls off then I say go ahead and replace it. BUT, if you have to take the glass out then, just leave it unless it's leaking.

I did notice that the urethane that they use to glue the windshield to the car is not even. This is for the front windshield. My driver's side A pillar post has urethane sort of 'oozing' out. I am now wondering if my windshield has been replaced. I did get the car with only 5 miles on it though. But, I know that a lot can happen without putting any miles on a car.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:46 AM

When I bought my car a year ago, the dealer had to order a second car for me. They had told me that while the first car was being delivered to the dealer, it was rear-ended. And so they ordered a second one. It only took them a couple of days to get the second car with same colors etc.

So now I'm wondering, did they lie to me and just repair the first one? They wouldn't have had much time to fix it as they said the rear-end was completely totaled. But with this windshield problem and masking tape remains that I saw on the underside of the rear bumper, it makes me wonder. I can't remember but I should check if they had given me two VINs.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:00 AM

rabenoja - how right you are. Sitting at the back of my dealer's lot is a new 'loaded' Titan, pulling a really nice trailer (I would love to have one like that to carry my mowers and bush hogs), and on the trailer is a top-of-the-line Pathfinder Premier.

Only problem? All three vehicles have the left sides ripped open. I have no idea how the accident happened, but I would bet these vehicles will somehow be put back together and find their way onto the highway.

A few years ago, my wife's Ranger was sitting outside the dealer's service bay at night, and some punks came by and shot out a row of windshields.

Lots of 'things' happen while cars are sitting on dealer's lots, and I examine every inch of any vehicle before considering making an offer.

hanzar - I sympathize with your problem. I am also one who has difficulty putting something like this out of my mind. But if fixing it requires removal of the glass, I would probably not risk it. Dealers can do amazing damage on even the simplest 'fixes'.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Maxima of the Month Winner

[QUOTE=hanzar]Hey does anybody else have this problem? Notice how the moulding is uneven toward the right, both where it touches the roof and where it's glued to the windshield?

I took it in and they ordered new moulding but they advised against repairing it because of other risks involved whenever removing the windshield.

Thoughts?

I noticed the exact same thing on my car a few weeks ago. I thought maybe I had pushed it down washing or waxing the car. I even tried to pull it back out, but it just stayed where it was. It is annoying, but I don't think worth fixing.

By the way, I already had to have my front windshield replaced. I was concerned about a lot of things, mostly that the new glass would look the same and that I wouldn't be able to tell it had been replaced. The glass guy did a really nice job, the new window looks really good, and it only cost $260.00 (which included new wipers).
Old 05-29-2004, 12:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why new wipers? Just cause they were worn a bit?
Old 05-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Banned

Dang, hanzar!!! YOU'RE CAR IS AWFULLY DIRTY!!!!!! How about a little soap and water to go along w/ that new molding!!! You should be ashamed of yourself...such abuse!!! I'm going to report you to the MAX abuse police!!!
Old 05-29-2004, 01:13 PM

I know. The pic's about a week old. I finally got around to washing and waxing today. I will replace the picture shortly.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:24 PM

hanzar - there are currently 25 '04 Maximas on my dealer's lot. I checked 24 of them tonight, and none of them had this problem. At least not that I could tell, and I was looking for it.

I would think the production uniformity of the glass is probably better than the uniformity of the cabin cage, so this problem is probably due to a slight variation in the shape of the window opening of the metal cabin cage.

If so, that might need to be adjusted before a new piece of glass would improve the situation.

Maybe you would come out better spending an hour with a psychatrist being convinced the problem does not exist; at least not in your mind.

That would cost more, but would not risk further damage to your Maxima.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Maxima of the Month Winner

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Why new wipers? Just cause they were worn a bit?
The glass company recommended changing the wipers. I'm sure it's a CYB thing for them, plus I bought my car back in November, so the stock wipers had already been thru a tuff winter. It only cost about $15.00, about the same if I replaced them myself.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:09 PM

Better view, cleaner car...