6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Triagular muffler looking thing

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Triagular muffler looking thing

Has anyone seen the car up on a lift? WTF is that triangular muffler looking thing that is about 2+ feet long. Then the muffler pipe gets a flat top starting about a foot behind the triangular piece and that flat top lasts almost 2 feet.
Old 05-29-2004, 05:51 PM

I believe that would be a Resonator and the rest I see no purpose for but to restrict (quiet) your exhaust.

I been thinking about having a muffler shop replace that section with straight pipe and keep the stock mufflers. Has anyone done this and how does it sound?

On a side note, I just help a buddy of mine who owns a 350Z, put in some test pipes (in place of the Catalytics) with Borla cat-backs installed. OMFG does it sound awesome.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:08 PM

ethorn - Noticed you are from GA. Don't forget GA requires an annual exhaust emission analysis in order to purchase your tag. Whatever you do, don't mess with the catalytic converter, or the 'boogie men' (emissions inspectors) will get you.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:24 PM

lightonthehill - No worries... I have no plans of doing anything that would change the emissions. Sound and performance only. prefereably just performance. If that triangle thing doesn't do anything I would just assume take it out. But not any time soon. I will wait probably till next year when my bumper to bumper runs out. (I put around 27000 a year on and I got it Jan 2, 04)
Old 05-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Maxima of the Month Winner

Originally Posted by Viper1
I believe that would be a Resonator and the rest I see no purpose for but to restrict (quiet) your exhaust.

I been thinking about having a muffler shop replace that section with straight pipe and keep the stock mufflers. Has anyone done this and how does it sound?
Funny you should ask. I am taking my car into a muffler shop on Tuesday to have this done. I am having them build a custom exhaust system from the cat back, eliminating the resonator and using larger diameter stainless steel tubing. I also ordered two stainless steel twin-tip Magnaflo mufflers to replace the stock ones. I wanted to keep the look of the mufflers like the stock system and the tips on the Magnflo's look almost identical to the factory mufflers.

I have no idea how it will sound or how loud it will be. I am not looking for loud and if it proves to be too annoying or ricey, I will have the shop add a muffler where the resonator is now. I will let you guys know how it sounds, if you're interested.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:11 PM

if this is just a resonator then you could theoreticcaly replace it and the tubes behind it with the aero-turbine (where the triangular thing is.) http://www.aero-turbine.com/buy/details_2540i.html

From there you would go with a 4" pipe and split and give the apearence of a stock car by adding a dual quad tip.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:20 PM

http://www.aero-turbine.com/seehear/index.html -- Beside a 4 inch pipe has the ability to push just over 2.5 times the amount of air. (4 inch pipe has 2.56 times the volume of a 2.5inch pipe.)
Old 05-29-2004, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by 04RedOpMax
I have no idea how it will sound or how loud it will be. I am not looking for loud and if it proves to be too annoying or ricey, I will have the shop add a muffler where the resonator is now. I will let you guys know how it sounds, if you're interested.

Wouldn't the ricey sound be caused by the mufflers?
Old 05-29-2004, 10:08 PM

04RedOpMax

Thanks for the reply.

My thoughts behind this is that we have only one pipe going back. The restriction to exhaust has got to be at the resonator and the flatten tube. A straight pipe back as large as the connector to the catalytic to the split should free up the flow. I like the stock dual mufflers and I figure to start there. I was just wondering if it gave the Max a little more growl without breaking the bank.

ethorn

Yes, but more of a by-product of certain mufflers. Heard and then seen one on a Honda Civic. BIG REAR OPENING tiny little muffler body.

It was pure unadulterated rice.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:14 AM

oh ok... I have just read things, even on this forum, that some mufflers have some sort of reeds or something that are causing it. I guess there would also be relationship between # of cyl and throatiness. listening to the sounds on the aero website the v-6 sounds pretty good, but no where near as throaty as the v-8s.