6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Love my new SE But

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 08:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Love my new SE But

Hey everyone, just got my Maxima SE with everything but the navigation and definitely love it but I have some serious issues I need resolved. First and foremost, the wheel shakes like crazy between 45 & 65 MPH. Are there any definite fixes for this??? I know some people were saying that a " Steering rack friction adjustment" was needed. Only problem is none of the tech people no what I am talking about. Secondly when the Sunroof is open on the highway, the wind must be getting between the upholstery on the ceiling of the car (in the inside obviously) and it literally almost rips the upholstery down. (I think it would come down if it weren't for the dome light in the back securely holding it in place. So when you slow down and the air pressure is no longer as intense the upholstery snaps back into place and I mean snaps back you hear it loud as hell, like a "thump". I didn't know what was going on until I looked in the rearview mirror after I heard the "thump" once or twice and actually saw the roof coming down, by putting my hand on the upholstery and pushing up I made it snap back into place. Has anybody had anything similar to this??? If not could someone who has a power sunroof open it completely and get up to around 70 MPH, that way I no if it is just my car that is missing some clips or something that hold the upholstery in place. And lastly the glove compartment rattles ALL the time and is not even aligned properly anymore. Any fixes for the rattling, I don't even care about the alignment. Thanks in advance for all your help. And I really do love this car; it is fast, powerful, smooth, and comfortable. Still have another 300 miles before I can really see what it can do!!!
Old 06-08-2004, 10:31 AM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by NICKSE
Hey everyone,...!!!
Try this for you shimmy: https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/311527-burn-rubber-smell.html

I've had my sunroof open well north of 70 witout incident. The head liner is held up with some magic fingers interlocking fastener things... Open the hatch and pull down on the headliner at the back of the hatch a half inch or so and you should see them. It sounds like they aren't engaged properly. Once you locate them you can see how to make it right.
Someone else will have to jump on the glove box problem.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:44 AM

Welcome to the club of people having problems with their 04 SE. I am one of them.. gonna call my dealer after i post this and see what "he figured out from nissan" regarding my 45mph+ shimmy... here is the TSB for the glovebox you can take to the dealer so they will fix it:
http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../NTB04-050.htm
Old 06-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you can also find TSB info here:

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Maxima/2004/1.htm

Bob
Old 06-09-2004, 06:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you everyone for your help. I am going to take the car in for service soon, so they can fix the sunroof problem and the glove box. I am going to try to have them fix the steering wheel shimmy, by telling them about the steering rack adjustment. If anybody has had recent luck in fixing this problem, or anybody has heard directly from Nissan about the proper way to go about this I would Greatly appreciate your feedback. And once again Thank You ALL for your help.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:59 PM

I always go by KISS... Keep It Simple Stupid. So the simplest thing to do is goto the dealer and make sure the alignment and the tire balance is OK. Even though that didn't fix most people's problems. The next would have the dealer drive it and they should feel it and tell them to fix it.

My roof doesn't come down any.. I hear a slight clicking sound as if a piece of double sided tape was tapping the surface it is supposed to be adheared to. But no true movement of the roof itself. It is being supported by all 6 pillar covers plus the clips that actually fasten to the top of the car, so this just shouldn't happen.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:30 AM

So i called my rep and he said since they found nothing wrong with the wheels he.. blah blah.. anyways nissan was going to call him back to tell him what to do next, turns out they are going to check out the "steering rack" which is what i said the FIRST time i was there and they said it could NOT be that... anyways going in on tuesday
Old 06-12-2004, 06:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

steering rack adjustment

I have had my car in 6 times and they still cant fix it. they adjusted the rack to the point where the steering wheel does not return on its own after a turn. they are going to put in a new steering rack, apparently the new racks are better.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is getting out of hand. I brought my car in and they are giving me the run around even though I straight out told them that I did the "leg work" for them and the steering rack needs to be adjusted. We need Nissan to put out a TSB ASAP.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:21 PM

I hate Nissans and their service, unforftunaltey I liked the car enough to buy it. I try to ignore soem of the problems because te dealers just screw it up more.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by NICKSE
Secondly when the Sunroof is open on the highway, the wind must be getting between the upholstery on the ceiling of the car (in the inside obviously) and it literally almost rips the upholstery down. (I think it would come down if it weren't for the dome light in the back securely holding it in place. So when you slow down and the air pressure is no longer as intense the upholstery snaps back into place and I mean snaps back you hear it loud as hell, like a "thump". I didn't know what was going on until I looked in the rearview mirror after I heard the "thump" once or twice and actually saw the roof coming down, by putting my hand on the upholstery and pushing up I made it snap back into place. Has anybody had anything similar to this??? If not could someone who has a power sunroof open it completely and get up to around 70 MPH, that way I no if it is just my car that is missing some clips or something that hold the upholstery in place.

I had this same issue the the upholstery and the sunroof when I first got my SE. I pulled down on the upholstery to check it out and noticed there are 4 or so pieces of velco on the top. So I just pushed on the upholstery to get the velco to catch, hasn't been an issue since.