6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Yokohama or Falken???

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 08:19 PM

Yokohama or Falken???

Need to get new set of tires cause the OEM Goodyear's split on the front left wheel. Very dangerous. Anyway narrowed down to Yokohama AVS ES100's or Falken FK-451's. Read the reviews on both and can't make up my mind. Any input from forum members would be much appreciated. Need to buy them tomorrow casue I am riding around on the split Goodyear and that ain't good. As for Goodyear, I'm done with those overpriced POS. Thanks for any help you guys may have.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:29 PM

Sorry, can't help you with your decison, but I'd like to know what Goodyear tires did you have the problem with? I have had Goodyear Eagle RS-A on my car since new, 53,000 miles (almost 10 years old) and I haven't had any problem with them.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:59 PM

Got the Goodyear Eagle RS-A's as well. Tread is still good 19,000 miles but the sidewall cracked on left front tire and is leaking air. No way to repair unfortunatley and from alot of feedback on certain tires sites it seems to be a pretty common problem
Old 06-10-2004, 05:19 AM

After 1000 miles I notice I had a nail close to the side wall of the tire. No one wanted to touch it. I went to the Goodyear dealer, they checked but the nail didn't go through. Great News. So I was talked into purchasing warrenty on these tires for $25 per tire. Now after 8000 miles it happened again but this time there was a large cut on the interior side wall. The tire was replace for free with the warrenty. I just had to buy new warrenty for that tire of $25. My cut tire was in the back passenger side. Which was in the front a week before I had them rotated.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:14 AM

I should have gotten the warranty I guess - but IMO the Goodyears suck on performance anyway. Was gonna replace them in another 5K anyway. Just found out I have to go with the Yokohama's cause the Falken's would take till Tuesday to get here and I can't ride around on the split, too dangerous. Anyway should be a great upgrade in performance.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by JiuJitsuThug
I should have gotten the warranty I guess - but IMO the Goodyears suck on performance anyway. Was gonna replace them in another 5K anyway. Just found out I have to go with the Yokohama's cause the Falken's would take till Tuesday to get here and I can't ride around on the split, too dangerous. Anyway should be a great upgrade in performance.
Let us know how you like those Yokos ... lots of us will be needing tires before long. Mind telling us what they cost?

Mike
Old 06-10-2004, 01:04 PM

Mike_TX - Just got the Yokos - they look sweet! Gonna update my cardomain page this weekend. They are the same specs 245/45-18's but they look more low profile. Guess its the cut of them but they look lower and definitely more aggressive.

As for performance - I haven't gotten to open up on them just yet becasue I still have my old tires in the backseat until I can throw them in storage tonight. But I did hit a nice twisty onramp with alot more pep. Will give a better report when I can put a hurting on them. As for price I got them for $180 per wheel with mounting and balancing included from Discount Tires.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the info, JiuJitsu.

Mike
Old 06-11-2004, 07:46 AM

OK - Got to open it up a little bit this morning. Live in San Diego so had a fairly warm morning and the new tires warmed up nicely. Hit a serious onramp that I usually hit at around 60mph - this morning the yokos hit it at 70 and it seemed like more to give. Feels like the car is on rails now. The tires track VERY nicely and are definitely a HUGE improvement over the POS Goodyears. Road noise is less than the Goodyears as well, but I have heard that they wear pretty quicky. The tire techs said to rotate the yokos every 3000 to get the most out of them.

BTW I also have the Stillen RSB installed on my ride so it is feeling really tight right now. Very, very happy with the purchase. Only thing left to do is get a set of Eibachs to close the wheel gap, but gonna wait till they finally come out with aftermarket shocks.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm trying to figure out the best size tires if one wants to use the orginal rims. The original tires are P245/45R18 for SE correct? Would P235/40R18 work fine? I ask this because the Falken Ziex ZE-512 Tires do not come in 245/45R18. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:37 AM

Jiujitsu, where in SD do you live? That's my hometown, trying to move back there soon (gotta find a job first)... I'm from Encinitas. Lots of fun places to open up down there, especially the 5 through Camp Pendleton.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:26 PM

maizor - I asked the tire techs and they said that I could go a little bigger but it wasn't recommended. Your size seems to be smaller in width but lower in profile. That would probably work but with the lower profile your gonna be looking at more wheel gap. I woudl go with the Falken FK-451's. That's what I was looking at getting and they run in 245/45-18. Very cool looking tire.

Chrisaust - I live in Mission Hills, between Pacific Beach and Downtown. I love living here, kinda expensive but you can't beat it. If you move down we will hook up some 6th gen rides by the coast.
Old 06-11-2004, 01:39 PM

Gotta be careful here, maizor.

The norm is to go WIDER in width when one goes DOWN in profile.

When dropping from 245/45VR18 profile to a 35, a more equivalent tire would be 255/35VR18. In other words, when the height of the tire is reduced, it is necessary to widen the tire in order to have a somewhat equivalent volume inside the tire.

If you read the sidewall carefully, you will find the load limit of the 235/35VR18 tire is considerably less than the OEM 245/45VR18. As the Maxima is not a light car, and is intended to be driven somewhat vigorously, I would absolutely not risk going to a 235/35VR18 size.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

For the few who wish to look more deeply at this, the '245' is the width of the tire at its widest point in millimeters. The '45' means the height of the tire from beadseat to treadface is 45% of the outside width of the tire. 45% of 245 gives 110 millimeters as the tire height.

If we plug the tire you are considering into this, 35% of 235 is only 82 millimeters. This is a very drastic drop in both tire height and in load limit. Not only does this overwork the tires severely, it increases risk of tire failure, gives a harsher ride, puts less rubber on the road (narrower tread), reduces the tire's life expectancy, and makes brisk maneuvering more risky.

We need you to stay alive and support this board, maizor; please rethink this move.

edit - Right after I posted this, I realized the 'proposed' tire size was 235/40VR18, and not 235/35VR18. By that time, however, I could get no further response from the site.

The difference between 35 and 40 profiles changes little of what I said. You are still dropping in both tire width and tire height. The height of the tire you are considering is 40% of 235, which is 94 millimeters.

Of course the angst is not so much height, but load capacity. The load limit of the 235/40VR18 is well below that of the OEM 245/45VR18.
Old 06-14-2004, 05:06 AM

lightonthehill, thanks for that great response. I didn't even thing about the load capacity. I'll take another look at those Falken tires.

The only other question I have is that the Falkens are rated as summer tires. Now, I live in Atlanta and this is rarely a problem, but occasionally we do get a little snow and ice. Am I going to be substantially decreasing my safety with these tires?