General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Yokohama AVS DB tire. Please post your opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2001, 05:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yokohama AVS DB tire. Please post your opinions.

Hello guys. I used the search and found a little info on the tire, but not enough. I'm basically stuck between two tires.
Yokohama AVID Touring and Yokohama AVS DB. The DB obviously will have better performance, but what I'm more interested in is that if it will be quieter than the Avid Touring. The price difference is only $20 per tire (205/60/15) so I'm trying to see if I should just get the DB. If you could post how it rates in quietness vs. other tires you used it would be great.
Thanks

Anton
Old 10-22-2001, 12:11 AM
Former Sponsor

I think I'd go with the Yoko Avid Tourings, the AVS dB really makes the difference when you are runnning a larger tire size, when running 18s it makes a huge difference over lets say a Pirelli P7000, but on 15s, I think it wont make that big of a difference
Old 10-22-2001, 07:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Yokohama AVS DB tire. Please post your opinions.

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
Hello guys. I used the search and found a little info on the tire, but not enough. I'm basically stuck between two tires.
Yokohama AVID Touring and Yokohama AVS DB. The DB obviously will have better performance, but what I'm more interested in is that if it will be quieter than the Avid Touring. The price difference is only $20 per tire (205/60/15) so I'm trying to see if I should just get the DB. If you could post how it rates in quietness vs. other tires you used it would be great.
Thanks

Anton
I have had my AVS DB for over a year now. The AVS DB tire size on my max is 225/50/16. The previous set of tires on my max have been OEM Goodyear RSA and Michelin XGT V4. The AVS DB is the quietest tire I have on my max to date but it's not super quiet like the marketing says. They offer a supple ride, good wet weather traction, and with over 20k miles are wearing well. I have no experience with the AVS DB in snow.

My only complaint so far is that with aggressive driving in curves the tires sqiurm with the intial turn-in. When I am going fast and start going into a curve and the car shifts it weight, the tires feel like they slide about an inch and then start to stick. It's like I caught the tire sleeping at the switch going into the turn and then the tire wakes up and handles the rest of the curve fine. Again this trait only shows up in aggressive driving.