6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 08:02 AM

leather seats

I am thinking of purchasing leather seat covers for my max. I found a set for around 700 bucks and it seems like a good deal. The dealer wants 1400. The only thing is I have to install them myself. The vendor says that it is not that difficult and they will supply me with hog rings and pliers. Has anyone ever tried this and how difficult is it? Does it void the warranty? Thanks for any input.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:06 AM

i wanted to do this too, but when i called the aftermarket leather seat cover manufacturers they said i should get it done by a pro because of the airbags in the seats. they said if i do it myself i might set off the rear airbags. dont know, probably disconecting the car battery would disenable the airbags or is there some jumper or switch.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:10 AM

The manufacturer suggests removing the seats, so that should disable the airbag feature. I would think. I dont want to have an airbag explode in my face.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Go look on the group deals forum on this website, there was a company offering custom-designed leather seating for like $550 or $600, with options including two-tone, embroidery, etc. They look really good, I thought about it as well but too pricey for me right now. Also includes installation instructions, and they have tool kits and instruction videos available too.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:09 AM

Here's the link:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=280650
Old 06-14-2004, 12:47 PM

was was going to get it from these people http://www.auto-interior.com/leathercover21.htm#Maxima. 800 for all leather, 663 for only seats leather. think you get can up to 3 colors and piping with no extra charge.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:58 PM

I looked at those guys. Leatherseats.com seemed to have a better deal. It is around 735 with shipping and install kit. Also, I called the number from the link supplied by chrisaust, left message and have not heard back.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:08 PM

It took my dealer over 3 hours to remove the seat cover and replace it with a new one just on the back seat coushen (the part your a$$ is on).. When you do it unhook the battery... if you read the documentation for seat removal (drivers) it says unplug the battery so the airbags won't go off before you unplug the electrical connections.
Old 06-14-2004, 02:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by me&maxine
I am thinking of purchasing leather seat covers for my max. I found a set for around 700 bucks and it seems like a good deal. The dealer wants 1400. The only thing is I have to install them myself. The vendor says that it is not that difficult and they will supply me with hog rings and pliers. Has anyone ever tried this and how difficult is it? Does it void the warranty? Thanks for any input.

The job is not as easy as it sounds. Better to pay $300 to 400 to have a pro do it. You could ask your dealer who does their aftermarket leather work or call around to some upholstery shops. The pros know how to get the wrinkles out...
Old 06-14-2004, 04:46 PM

Theres a company in CT that did my friends old nissan nx2000, I don't think it was leather tho, but it was custom and came out really good. I'm looking into doing some custom work on the whole interior, and two toning the seats. Hopefully my plan works out over the summer once i get some more money.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mystery_Man
Theres a company in CT that did my friends old nissan nx2000, I don't think it was leather tho, but it was custom and came out really good. I'm looking into doing some custom work on the whole interior, and two toning the seats. Hopefully my plan works out over the summer once i get some more money.

We've done alot of 04 maximas at the shop. We even do the door panels and the dash trim pieces. It's not too hard if you are somewhat mechanically inclined but, I would leave the door panels to a pro. You have to completely separate the door panel to wrap them in leather/vinyl. Then you have to put the door panel back together. You can take out the seats without disconnecting the battery but, DO NOT turn on the ignition with the seats out. You will end up with an airbag light on.

As far as the warranty issues go, just make sure that the leather kit that you order is certified to have the side airbags in the seat deploy correctly.

Good Luck and get a steamer. It will get all of the wrinkles out of the leather before you install it.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by rabenoja
We've done alot of 04 maximas at the shop. We even do the door panels and the dash trim pieces. It's not too hard if you are somewhat mechanically inclined but, I would leave the door panels to a pro. You have to completely separate the door panel to wrap them in leather/vinyl. Then you have to put the door panel back together. You can take out the seats without disconnecting the battery but, DO NOT turn on the ignition with the seats out. You will end up with an airbag light on.

As far as the warranty issues go, just make sure that the leather kit that you order is certified to have the side airbags in the seat deploy correctly.

Good Luck and get a steamer. It will get all of the wrinkles out of the leather before you install it.
I would definatly have a pro do it, i was looking to have the door panels match the exterior magestic blue and then have the seats be that color and also match the dash and the other frost interior pieces. What is your shop called, i see your located in NJ, i'm in South Orange all the time, how close are you in proximity to there?
Old 06-15-2004, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mystery_Man
I would definatly have a pro do it, i was looking to have the door panels match the exterior magestic blue and then have the seats be that color and also match the dash and the other frost interior pieces. What is your shop called, i see your located in NJ, i'm in South Orange all the time, how close are you in proximity to there?

To be honest with you, you will not get an exact match for the magestic blue. I have swatches (small leather samples of different colors) that you can look at if you want. I can give you suggestions on what I think will match what you want to do.

I am in Bergenfield. That is about 30 minutes to 45 minutes north of you, depending on traffic. I am about 10 minutes from the GWB. Just give me a call when you want to come up and look at the swatches or when you are ready to do something.

PM me for my cell number.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:59 PM

It probably won't be for a few months since my funding pool is short of nothing, but i'll definatly keep that in mind.