6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

that damn strut

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 10:14 AM

that damn strut

Okay 6000 mile two trips to the dealer two struts replaced and i'm still not happy. After 3000 miles I heard a knocking noise took it to the dealer they replaced the passenger strut. after 4500 mile knocking noise is back and another strut do the drain. Now 6500 mile and guess what there that same knocking noise. This time I take in in they keep it over night just to tell me to come pick up the car.The strut is on back order and I have to wait for them to get it in. Well 7 days later and still no strut. I told them this doesnt make any sense $32,000 and I can drive it. My question is how many people have had this problem that the strut is on back order now.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:28 AM

It's a common problem. I got my rotors turned. The car still shakes. So next I'm getting the front rotors replaced, new front struts and new front brakes. There is a TSB on the front brakes. I'm assuming that the rotors are on back order along with the brakes since there is a TSB on them too.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:49 AM

what is the TSB on the brakes for?
Old 06-21-2004, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by dafowl1
Okay 6000 mile two trips to the dealer two struts replaced and i'm still not happy. After 3000 miles I heard a knocking noise took it to the dealer they replaced the passenger strut. after 4500 mile knocking noise is back and another strut do the drain. Now 6500 mile and guess what there that same knocking noise. This time I take in in they keep it over night just to tell me to come pick up the car.The strut is on back order and I have to wait for them to get it in. Well 7 days later and still no strut. I told them this doesnt make any sense $32,000 and I can drive it. My question is how many people have had this problem that the strut is on back order now.

I JUST GOT BACK FROM THE DEALER, THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY ARE WAITING FOR A NEW MAKE ON STRUTS. THEY TOLD ME IT MAY TAKE UP TO 6 MONTHS UNTILL THEY COME OUT.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:56 PM

I cant go with out my car for 6 months they are gonna have to do something for me
Old 06-22-2004, 04:20 AM

Me&Max, The TSB is for the front brake noise. here is the URL:
http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Maxima/2004/1.htm

Even though, they don't make noise have them replaced. Tell them they are making noise. You're getting new brakes.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maxidriver
Me&Max, The TSB is for the front brake noise. here is the URL:
http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Maxima/2004/1.htm

Even though, they don't make noise have them replaced. Tell them they are making noise. You're getting new brakes.
I had taken my car to the dealership 2 or 3 times just after I got it complaining about very loud brake squeel.... unfortunately, they were never able to completely verify that the brakes squeeled and so did nothing about it. After 10K miles, they only really squeek after driving at highway speeds or when they get wet. And now, my rotors are slightly warped (steering wheel vibrates over 35mph when braking). Do you think these are related? Could there have been excessive heat build up due to malfunction (squeeling) breaks?
Old 06-23-2004, 04:20 AM

I think indirectly Nissan is trying to fix the shimmy problem with the new brake pads. Whatever, I don't know. But the combination of new rotors and brake pad, hopefully, will do the trick.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Monotaur
I had taken my car to the dealership 2 or 3 times just after I got it complaining about very loud brake squeel.... unfortunately, they were never able to completely verify that the brakes squeeled and so did nothing about it. After 10K miles, they only really squeek after driving at highway speeds or when they get wet. And now, my rotors are slightly warped (steering wheel vibrates over 35mph when braking). Do you think these are related? Could there have been excessive heat build up due to malfunction (squeeling) breaks?

Squealing brakes are not a malfunction. Some pads/rotor combos do it normally. Harder metallic pads commonly squeal. Ever hear a Porsche come to a stop? You don't have to look to know.

Sometimes a dirt particle may get between the pad and rotor. If it gets imbedded in the pad, you'll hear it until it's worn away.

Don't worry so much about noisy brakes, unless it gets excessively loud.

Old 06-27-2004, 07:58 PM

I have the same problem in Montreal.

Originally Posted by dafowl1

I Have the same problem here in Montreal. No back orders in Canada though. This is my second strut! First one broke at 9K Kms or 5K Miles Second 2 weeks later! See my recent post.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:12 PM

I had the car for three weeks with 400 miles (came with 200) and I already had to change the thing.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Issues

I have had my 04 SE for over a year now and have had nothing but issues with the vehicle. The dealers cannot determine why the vehicle continues to shimmy. They have turned the rotors, adjusted the rack and pinion, and the list goes on and on. I will tell you, my heart is breaking because we are getting rid of the car and purchasing a little more reliable and NOT A FIRST YEAR RELEASE. I love the car, but hate the issues......
Old 06-28-2004, 08:48 PM

Front Strut Problems SE owners or SL Owners?

Originally Posted by redlava106
I have had my 04 SE for over a year now and have had nothing but issues with the vehicle. The dealers cannot determine why the vehicle continues to shimmy. They have turned the rotors, adjusted the rack and pinion, and the list goes on and on. I will tell you, my heart is breaking because we are getting rid of the car and purchasing a little more reliable and NOT A FIRST YEAR RELEASE. I love the car, but hate the issues......

I feel your pain brother. I have had the car only 5 months or 23 weeks and the car has been in need of repair for 2 weeks of those 23. They said the strut replacement will be next week only. That means 3.5 weeks over 24 or 14.6% of ownership time so far this car has been at best a painful experience. I don't think I can wait 6 more months for them to redesign the struts on this car. How many more times are they going to fail? Either they get it right or they change the cars. How many SE owners out there have this problem If one was to change the struts on the SL what brand and type could be recommended.
( Out of pocket ). Is collective action necessary? Is this a latent defect?

I love Nissan products and the concepts..don't get me wrong here. I am not here to stir up $#!~ ...I don't want to make any enemies here. I just want to enjoy my vehicle and I want fair value for my hard earned money. And I don't want my dealer's service department to hate me either. If they see me every two weeks with another problem are they eventually going to get fed up too or do they really care and even if they did could they do anything about it anway?
Old 07-01-2004, 05:03 PM

Good news Nissan called today said that they got the strut in and I could bring the car in next wednesday.