6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

information screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

information screen

Talked to nissan dealer today regarding the information screen ordered for me because off fogginess behind screen . service manager said that nissan redesigned it. Hopefully it's glass so it won't scatch like the plastic one.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:58 PM

Very interesting, hempster. This info screen has been the source of many complaints. Wish we could know with what VIN serial Nissan began installing the glass screens on the Smyrna assembly line.

Let us know how the glass works out.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Information Screen

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Very interesting, hempster. This info screen has been the source of many complaints. Wish we could know with what VIN serial Nissan began installing the glass screens on the Smyrna assembly line.

Let us know how the glass works out.
Lightonthehill: I am not saying that it is glass but I am hoping that it is.
Does anyone out there know if the redesigned info screen
is going to be glass, or a different kind of plastic?
Old 06-23-2004, 04:26 PM

I hope it is something else for sure. That plastic one I have is scratched up and I ordered another one to replace it but it's on backordered. It's only like 30bucks or so. I will post a message if mine is also a new type when it comes in.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

how the hell do you order just the screen? my service departments say I need the whole damn assembly. Any help??? when the service guys pull up the dash on the computer screen all that is visible is the whole dash, with the buttons etc...
Old 06-24-2004, 07:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I noticed that my screen has scratches as well. This screen must be EXTREMELY fragile and prone to these types of scratches. I use nothing more than camera lens cleaning wipes to clean that screen. If that is enough to scratch the screen, but not a camera lens, I would have to believe that somethings wrong.

I am bringing the car into the dealer yet again this weekend, and will ask about the screen and possible replacement
Old 06-24-2004, 07:18 AM

I use one of those microfiber cloths that were intended for eyeglasses; it works great and I do not see any scratching. Whenever I see dust, I just pull it out of the console and a couple of quick wipes leaves it clean (for a while).
Old 06-24-2004, 09:42 AM

My screen is a wreck, scratches fog, dust, finger prints, the dealer wanted to take apart and clean then go from there, I decided to do it myself and its still a wreck. ....

I went to another service dept today, they said they cannot warranty it because I already took it apart. At this point I just wanted a new screen and to install myself. Evidently they cannot order the new screen by itself, it comes with the vents, buttons. The parts dude was very nice and offered to call Nissan to see if they can ship just the plastic(like some have said have received) or if I have to purchase the whole assembly. I skipped calling Nissan because the whole assembly is only $37 dollars. It will supposedly be in in the morning. So im pretty excited to get this crap behind me.

I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Slowly but surely the car will be flawless someday.

Heres what I dont get, why does Nissan waste time with the TSB having the dealers clean the plastic before replacing them. Arent they wasting more time cleaning the damn thing, which only makes it worse, than to replace the cheap thing, which is cheaper,(piece of plastic) vs cleanign supplies and time??? I cant figure this out, replacing it would be easier on everyones part.

whateva
Old 06-24-2004, 12:03 PM

The srvc dept called me just now to inform me that this part is on back order so who the hell knows when I will get the piece now. Eveybody and their damn brother prolly wants a new one. I can see this taking forever.

:-(
Old 06-26-2004, 04:24 PM

I went car shopping today and paid attention to the screens after reading these threads. 2 cars with VIN numbers in the 850xxx to 860xxx had really bad fog behind the screen. 3 newer VIN cars over 910xxx did not. It was very evident the screen and display looked much better. Of course the sales guy thought I was crazy when I pointed it out. The color car that I wanted has the foggy screeen and he just couldn't see it. Oh well. I'll wait until I can find one with a higher VIN number in the color I want
Old 06-26-2004, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by originalstarlit
I use one of those microfiber cloths that were intended for eyeglasses; it works great and I do not see any scratching. Whenever I see dust, I just pull it out of the console and a couple of quick wipes leaves it clean (for a while).

Same here.

Since reading about this here I've been very cautious about it. My daughter has this crazy thing about kissing a clock if all the numbers are the same (yeah, I know, teenagers ). One day she kissed my screen, I just about had a bird!!!! Now everyone has strict instructions not to touch the darn screen!

I do have one of the higher vin #'s though so maybe I've got one of the new ones. Mine is pretty clear, kiss and all.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:02 PM

No doubt about it...the display screen has been my biggest complaint with my Max. Its really kind of emarassing on sunny days and I have people in the car because it looks so bad. I've had mine replaced once and the replacement one already cleaned once and its all fogged up again. (At least theres no obvious fingerprints like on the original screen I had). Good news on the redesign...hopefully I can get the dealership to replce it. I was worried this was going to be an ongoing problem for the next 8-10 years or so.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:59 PM

Are you guys able to get your screens replaced or are you having backorder troubles? Who knows when mine will come in, im hoping that its a redeisgned one. On Sunny days mine looks so bad, By cleaning it myself I made it 10 times worse, when I cleaned it it looked perfect, evidently the scratches appear in the sun, it drives me crazy.

My odometer lid is getting replaced tomorrow because the plastic film on the 3 clear plastic circles where te odometer/gas gauge and temp gauges are is all peeling and kinds looks scratched. That part came in already.

Why doesnt Nissan use quality, like the plastic stuff on palm pilots?? touch screen computer monitors etc???

stupid...
Old 06-28-2004, 09:14 AM

Replace screen

I have an 04 MAX with 3600 and the screen fogged-up. Went to Van Nuys Nissan and they just looked at it said it needed to be ordered, since they have a "LOT" on order and we went from there. I also hope it is glass instead of the cheap plastic.

David
Old 06-29-2004, 07:33 AM

Let's just hope that all these issues with this screen will force Nissan to change the manufacturing AND color AND quality of the ones for the 2005 and on...
Old 06-29-2004, 08:52 AM

I get a lot of great and useful information from this forum.

The only bad thing is that I don't tend to notice these types of issues on my own car until I read about them on the list. Then they bug the sh#t out of me.

First it was the misalignment of the glovebox. Now the scratching/fogging of the info screen. Now everytime it's sunny out, all I can see are the scratches.

I guess there is some truth to the addage, "Ignorance is bliss..."
Old 06-30-2004, 10:53 AM

I have only had my car a few weeks, but the last digits of the VIN are 910314 so I'm hoping I don't have to walk on eggshells to clean the thing. I was thinking about just getting a can of compressed air to clean it without touching it (for those times it's just surface lint.

And now that I hear the glovebox mentioned, I need to find the fix for that, does anyone have a link to that thread? I didn't see it as a TSB for the '04's and a poor mans search didn't seem to turn up anything relavent, so any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:39 AM

Smoke Screen,
My last digits are 903966, and as I said above, I am having good luck cleaning with the MF eyeglass cloth. It seems softer than just any MF detailing cloth. So you should be good to go also.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke_Screen
And now that I hear the glovebox mentioned, I need to find the fix for that, does anyone have a link to that thread?
Here you go:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=304514
Old 07-01-2004, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Smoke_Screen
And now that I hear the glovebox mentioned, I need to find the fix for that, does anyone have a link to that thread? I didn't see it as a TSB for the '04's and a poor mans search didn't seem to turn up anything relavent, so any help would be appreciated.
Here is a link to the Nissan site for TSB's to the glove box issue:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...4.asp?mscssid=

Had my dealer do mine - they needed to order a glove box fix kit, took about a week for the parts, and after they finished all is fine.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Our dealership replaced our screen no extra charge after it "grew" condensation on the inside. Said it was in the path between the two a/c vents, thus causing the condensation. Nissan has a service kit for this and dealer should replace it for free if still under warrenty. Our parts arrived in 2-3 days. They said it was due to faulty seal, and replaced it. My question is: did they replace it with a different kind of seal? I'm concerned now after reading these threads where this has happened time after time for some. It's not going to be in warranty forever! Another problem I have is the three windows where the odometer and stuff is- it does seal properly itself and ends ups collecting dust and the like under and inside where I am unable to clean it. Is looking worse and worse with the more that collects in there? Is there a quick way to pop those covers off and clean on the inside?
Old 07-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Refering to the 3 windows where the odometer is, I meant to say it "DOESN't" seal properly to keep the dust out. Hope I didn't cause any confusion- I couldn't get in to edit it. When I tried, it would just take me to a very blank screen. Hope my newbieness isn't being too obvious, here.