6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Ugly Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 12:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ugly Fog Lights

Is it just me, or does the fact that the yellowish tint of the foglights compared to the HIDs bother you guys as well. I'm thinking of replacing the fog bulbs. I'm also switching out my orange turm signals for clear as well. Hope I could get all three to match.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:31 PM

Yes, that contrast is very stark and I have broken the old habit of running fog lights as part of the normal night package. I will now only run the fogs during poor weather, particularly rain and snow. We don't really get that much fog, but it does occur. I will be anxious to see how that all looks when it is really a necessity rather than the style.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by originalstarlit
I will now only run the fogs during poor weather, particularly rain and snow.
What a great idea. Maybe it will catch on. Useing equipment for what it was designed for!

My pet peeve is people who have their fog lights on ALL the time. Usually Pontiac drivers. People with clear turn signals get grouped in with those idiots too.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
What a great idea. Maybe it will catch on. Useing equipment for what it was designed for!

My pet peeve is people who have their fog lights on ALL the time. Usually Pontiac drivers. People with clear turn signals get grouped in with those idiots too.
+ 1
Old 06-22-2004, 02:56 PM
SuPeRmOd

the lazy, bored police around my area love to ticket for clear turn signals, although would be very nice. Fogs are halogens because hids refract in moisture, giving "fog" lights their purpose: wide, short, yellowish beam to penetrate the moisture in air. The high temp white, blue, purple light is brightest, sharpest, and affected by moisture.
I would like yellow fogs, i had some real nice piaa's on my last car. Wish I could use the H7 gold-ions from the headlight kit I put on it for my max.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima80
the lazy, bored police around my area love to ticket for clear turn signals, although would be very nice. Fogs are halogens because hids refract in moisture, giving "fog" lights their purpose: wide, short, yellowish beam to penetrate the moisture in air. The high temp white, blue, purple light is brightest, sharpest, and affected by moisture.
I would like yellow fogs, i had some real nice piaa's on my last car. Wish I could use the H7 gold-ions from the headlight kit I put on it for my max.
Actually, PIAA makes bulbs for the stock fog lights in the 2004 Maxima. Here's the link. The yellow ones that you're talking about are at the bottom of the page.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:44 PM

Yeah! Lets change out those yellow fogs for bright white. Neato!.

Of course, as Maxima80 pointed out, these lights will then be virtually useless as fog lights. Yelllow beams can somewhat penetrate the fog. Bright white beams cannot. But we can just avoid driving in foggy weather, and then it won't matter.

And those neat white front turn signals are artistically beautiful. It is just a crying shame the mean old police recognize them for the safety hazard/violation they are, and punish these artistic young folks with citations. Is there no justice?

If My Maxima were blue, I think I would replace my brake lights with blue ones. Surely nobody would mind . . .
Old 06-22-2004, 06:22 PM

If your max was black perhaps you should remove all the lights so it would be even more blacker at night. Damn that would be the shizzle yo.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:51 AM

What a concept....could this actually happen....one can hope
Old 06-23-2004, 04:13 AM
SuPeRmOd

If your max was black perhaps you should remove all the lights so it would be even more blacker at night. Damn that would be the shizzle yo.
gathering tools to remove all lights from my onyx max... oh wait, I work at night. guess it would be tough getting there through the unlit wooded roads, you know with deer and other cars. I could install night-vision!!!!
...the Stealth Max, zooming by undetected through the streets of PA.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:11 AM
andymax95

When I was getting my car fixed, I had the option to switch out the fogs, cause they blend well with the HID's, but I didn't for the fact that a xexon light is worthless in the fog. I just opt to drive with them off unless needed. But now knowing they have "yellower" fog bulbs, I may go purchase.

They say bumper removal is necessary to change the bulbs. Is this true? They also say to remove the bumper when installing the injen CAI, but was able to do it by removing the fender lining. I think removing the fender lining will give you a direct approach to the back of the headlight housing.

Old 06-23-2004, 05:26 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Edify11
Actually, PIAA makes bulbs for the stock fog lights in the 2004 Maxima. Here's the link. The yellow ones that you're talking about are at the bottom of the page.
the 2 white H3 PIAA replacements claim to be fog lights, I wonder how well they would perform?

guess it really doesn't matter personally since i can't afford anything but my payments.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:52 AM

Get the PIAA Superplasmas. Best HID match for the 5th gens with HIDs. But you guys have projectors so I don't know.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:40 AM

Does anyone like the HID headlight & Fog light combo found on the IS300?, the nice bright HID's with the yellow fogs. Has anyone tryed this combo with the 6th gen max?
Old 06-23-2004, 05:10 PM

Heading down the path 6thGenMax suggested, if I didn't like the incompatibility of the OEM slightly yellowish fogs with the HID headlights, I would probably go to a deeper yellow/orange/amber on the fogs. This sharper contrast would look better, and would probably actually work better as foglights.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:25 PM

dont got hids, cant really notice a difference. i keep the fogs on, dont seem too useful even in fog.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:06 AM

If someone is gonna try my idea with the IS300 Idea. Please let me know which color style & or name brand bulb is used and take a picture. im going to explore through my garage and see what i can find for H3's
Old 06-24-2004, 05:27 AM

Help, I took off my bumper and both front fenders to change all the bulbs to the lastest recomendations. Now everthing rattles unless the car is parked. Boy, this Maxima is crap!

Just spoofing, I'm just can't resist this stuff. Remember that laughter is good for the soul.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by originalstarlit
Help, I took off my bumper and both front fenders to change all the bulbs to the lastest recomendations. Now everthing rattles unless the car is parked. Boy, this Maxima is crap!

Just spoofing, I'm just can't resist this stuff. Remember that laughter is good for the soul.
Wow! Did you really take off your fenders? Can you post pictures? That's gotta be a killer mod! How about the hood? Does it still fit okay without the fenders? Man, wait'll the rice bois in Japan see this ... they'll be offering fender-removal kits in carbon fiber in no time.

Mike
Old 06-24-2004, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Joseph Zheng
dont got hids, cant really notice a difference. i keep the fogs on, dont seem too useful even in fog.
I'm with Joseph ... the fogs are so weak they don't seem like much more than a fashion statement. If I had to rely on them for penetrating real fog, I think I'd have to pull over and get a motel room.

I do run with them on all the time at night, tho, because they seem to fill in a small area right directly in front of the car that isn't lit up real well by the projector HID's.

Mike
Old 06-24-2004, 11:38 AM
SuPeRmOd

anyone know what bulb is our turn signal? I think yellow instead of amber turns would look nice with actual white or maybe matching yellow fogs.

This would keep you legal too since the law as i've heard it states: headlights to be white, rear lights red, rear turns red or YELLOW, front turns YELLOW. So actually yellow turns are more abiding since amber is orange.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:53 AM

anyone know what bulb is our turn signal?
Those are 1157 bulbs.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:32 PM
SuPeRmOd

thanks edify,
yellow turns:
http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/K2...OW_p_1751.html

http://nextcollection.com/html/ORD-L...21966-none.cfm

LB1157AJ (2 contacts on bottom, 12V 27/8W)
1157 Yellow (not amber) Japanese "No Fade" Bulbs $14.80
(2 bulbs) no yellow pics: http://www.lightlens.com/coloredbulbs.htm

any suggestions? i prefer yellow fogs, but i think it will be impossible to match yellow turns with yellow fogs though. The chrome (first link) may be nice. Anyone know what part # our 04 HIDs are and which H3 PIAA/other fogs match?

Wait! I found a sight that sells Nokya 1157 and H3 in yellow. These have to match right? Do you think this is over doing it? http://www.eautoworks.com/html/search-1-Hyper.htm H3 are 70W 2500k, of course the H3 are on backorder. need to check the wattage and temp of the stock fogs, anyone know that?

should i just stick with PIAA and wait to save up the extra $$?
Old 06-24-2004, 01:32 PM

thanks edify,
yellow turns:
http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/K2...OW_p_1751.html

http://nextcollection.com/html/ORD-L...21966-none.cfm

LB1157AJ (2 contacts on bottom, 12V 27/8W)
1157 Yellow (not amber) Japanese "No Fade" Bulbs $14.80
(2 bulbs) no yellow pics: http://www.lightlens.com/coloredbulbs.htm

any suggestions? i prefer yellow fogs, but i think it will be impossible to match yellow turns with yellow fogs though. The chrome (first link) may be nice. Anyone know what part # our 04 HIDs are and which H3 PIAA/other fogs match?

Wait! I found a sight that sells Nokya 1157 and H3 in yellow. These have to match right? Do you think this is over doing it? http://www.eautoworks.com/html/search-1-Hyper.htm H3 are 70W 2500k, of course the H3 are on backorder. need to check the wattage and temp of the stock fogs, anyone know that?

should i just stick with PIAA and wait to save up the extra $$?
Any H3 should work. If you could match yellow turn signal to yellow fog, I think that would look pretty sweet.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by andymax95
When I was getting my car fixed, I had the option to switch out the fogs, cause they blend well with the HID's, but I didn't for the fact that a xexon light is worthless in the fog. I just opt to drive with them off unless needed. But now knowing they have "yellower" fog bulbs, I may go purchase.

They say bumper removal is necessary to change the bulbs. Is this true? They also say to remove the bumper when installing the injen CAI, but was able to do it by removing the fender lining. I think removing the fender lining will give you a direct approach to the back of the headlight housing.
One can get to, remove and replace Fog lamp bulbs without taking off the bumper. It is tricky, but it can be done by removing some of the underhood things. I have done it!
Old 06-24-2004, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mailjbrown
One can get to, remove and replace Fog lamp bulbs without taking off the bumper. It is tricky, but it can be done by removing some of the underhood things. I have done it!
Nissan should've designed the new Maxima with easier access to the front bulbs like in my 97.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:01 PM
SuPeRmOd

well, i'm thinking/grateful that they aren't so easy to access because of the 03 HID thefts?
Old 06-25-2004, 12:19 AM

well, i'm thinking/grateful that they aren't so easy to access because of the 03 HID thefts?
Point well made.
Old 06-25-2004, 05:38 PM
SuPeRmOd

Since it impossible to match the same yellow for turns and fogs (told diff watt so will not be exact even if same manufacturer) and I think all the yellow would be over doing it:

PIAA replied saying their Xtreme White H3 would match our HIDS the best. With them I would go with Hyper Yellow 1157 turn signals.

(Chrome 1157 bulbs that emit the same yellow would look awesome when off, but our turns are covered by a lens, so I'm thinking they wouldn't even be noticed.)
I personally like the look of yellow fogs only when getting closer to dusk, and yellow park/turns would give the same look. (I don't want to rewire the fogs to use w/o lowbeams)

For Yellow fogs I would get the PIAA H3 Gold Ion bulbs (which would work great in the fog), but then I guess I will have to keep the amber turns.

>>>>>>So which in your opinion is a better choice?

HyperYellow turns with ExtremeWhite Fogs to match the HIDS (losing the use of fogs in the fog but looks awesome)

OR

Deep Yellow Fogs and keeping the amber turns?
(Still looks great with increased inclimate weather vision)
Old 06-25-2004, 11:45 PM

Since it impossible to match the same yellow for turns and fogs (told diff watt so will not be exact even if same manufacturer) and I think all the yellow would be over doing it:

PIAA replied saying their Xtreme White H3 would match our HIDS the best. With them I would go with Hyper Yellow 1157 turn signals.

(Chrome 1157 bulbs that emit the same yellow would look awesome when off, but our turns are covered by a lens, so I'm thinking they wouldn't even be noticed.)
I personally like the look of yellow fogs only when getting closer to dusk, and yellow park/turns would give the same look. (I don't want to rewire the fogs to use w/o lowbeams)

For Yellow fogs I would get the PIAA H3 Gold Ion bulbs (which would work great in the fog), but then I guess I will have to keep the amber turns.

>>>>>>So which in your opinion is a better choice?

HyperYellow turns with ExtremeWhite Fogs to match the HIDS (losing the use of fogs in the fog but looks awesome)

OR

Deep Yellow Fogs and keeping the amber turns?
(Still looks great with increased inclimate weather vision)
Or maybe clear turns that would match the HIDs and the H3 PIAA ion bulbs for the fog.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:13 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Edify11
Or maybe clear turns that would match the HIDs and the H3 PIAA ion bulbs for the fog.
Of course that would look and perform the best, but I'm trying to stay legal. I can't afford the tickets or hassle of the police. Most get away with it and if you really want it, go ahead, but I just know I would be hassled.

I'm leaning towards yellow turns and Xtreme White PIAA fogs. I think driving with just yellow parks on around dusk would look really nice.

How well do our OEM fogs work in fog/rain anyway? I'm thinking the real whites can't be any worse.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:00 AM
SuPeRmOd

well, spoke with dealer. said they cannot switch the turns so they will not be liable. Was pretty sure law states amber. So I searched even harder and finally found the PA Code that states turn signals must be amber for the front of the vehicle.

So I am down to the decsion of 3 choices:

1 PIAA Ion (yellow) fogs
- improved visibilty, stands out (clash with amber?)

2 PIAA Xtreme White fogs
- no help with inclimate weather, matches HIDs, (barely noticeable? worth it?)

3 Stock
- still work better than fogs ever seen before (well at least noticeble), poor aesthetic appeal
Old 06-26-2004, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 6thGenMax
Does anyone like the HID headlight & Fog light combo found on the IS300?, the nice bright HID's with the yellow fogs. Has anyone tryed this combo with the 6th gen max?
The IS300s have yellow projectors giving it that deep yellow look. No bulb will be able to resemble that look.