6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

trading in my 01...05 altima or 04 maxima?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Z

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k
damn, and I thought they designed the new TL to where the lights cant get stolen... unless you meant the 2002-2003 tl lights.... And I thought both tl and maximas couldnt be stolen without the keys? Whats up with that?
A thief gets whatever he wants.
Old 06-27-2004, 02:39 PM

nicely put
Old 06-28-2004, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by NitDawg
I appreciate all the input. I went to the nissan dealership and took the 3.5 and the new max for a workout (I am still planning to test drive a G35). I'm not the motor junkie I used to be, so I was basically looking for the best ride, not looking for the better mod car. Anyways, I was very disappointed with the 6th gen Max. Although the sizes between the altima and the max are very close, I felt like I was driving a towncar. The visabilty was poor...especially out the rear window. Quiet and still a responsive feel, but I wasn't excited like the time I first got into my 01 max.

The altima 3.5 was much better and felt much more like my 01 max. I'm still not a fan of the telescopic dash, but other than that I felt at home. Tremendous acceleration and a fun ride.

However, at the end of the day, I have decided for now to keep my 01 max. I just don't think I have the love for the new maxima's like I thought I would and for the 3.5's that I was looking at, the prices were up near $28K...not ready to cough up that when I'm still digging my 01 max.

Maybe the trip to the infiniti dealership will make me reconsider, but right now I'm sticking with Maxine.

Thanks for all the input, again...

NitDawg
I test drove the G35X and C two weeks ago. Both are VERY nice cars and clearly a step up from Nissans. However, the X didnt feel any quicker (and maybe less so) than my 2k2 Maxima but it def cornered better. Though I didnt believe I would ever have this feeling, I would get the G35 over the TL. (IMO, the G felt more "executive".) I cant understand why Nissan has 18" wheels standard on the 6G Maxima but Infiniti doesnt even offer it for the G35S/X.
--- The C (auto) felt noticeably quicker than my Maxima and handled GREAT!!

As for the 6G Max, I simply cant get over its appearance. That said, I'd only consider the 2k5 3.5SE if I were to buy a Nissan marque sedan; Oh! and the SE-R wont have Navi but the 3.5SE/SL will have it. That said, the 3.5SE/SL does carry on from where the 5.5G Maxima SE/GLE left off.

Blackbird, I'm not certain why you're so in awe of the SE-R badge. Nissan could upgrade the sport pkg on the Quest 3.5SE (calling it the SE-R) and I wouldnt care in the least. It isnt like we're talking about the GT-R badge.

Peace.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Even if the 6G Max has its flaws, so does every other car. But the one reason I am SOOOOO glad I got it vs the Altima, the fact that in the almost 10 months I've had the car, I've seen MAYBE 10-15 other Max's, whereas I see 3 Altimas every single day. I love the fact that I have a car that people wonder "what is that?" still, especially since I debadged the back. I love not having the same car as everyone else, like Mustang owners, Accords, Altimas, etc. Personally I would say look at the G35s, they look like pretty sweet rides, and there aren't too many out there compared to the Altima.

Anyone know if the "loyalty" deals you can sometimes get for buying the same brand car again (like if I were to buy another Nissan down the line), would apply between Nissan and Infiniti? Or do they treat these two as completely separate brands?
Old 06-28-2004, 09:24 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by chrisaust
Even if the 6G Max has its flaws, so does every other car. But the one reason I am SOOOOO glad I got it vs the Altima, the fact that in the almost 10 months I've had the car, I've seen MAYBE 10-15 other Max's, whereas I see 3 Altimas every single day. I love the fact that I have a car that people wonder "what is that?"
Nice reply Chris.

I was trying to figure out how to reply to the slams of our 04. It was kinda getting me down. But all I have to do is drive it-> instant satisfaction. I absolutely love being one of the select few proud owners. There are Atlis EVERYWHERE in my area. Most were those desiring a Max and settling for less $. (Have seen less than 10 '04s total and 3 locally.) I hate the interior of the Alti. The dash is ugly: *****, I'll take my buttons anyday. So much sleeker, sportier inside (04). I peaked inside a G yesterday, boring interior. I love the space in mine, feel cramped in almost every other car I sit in. When i did a quick comparison of a "loaded" (as much as they offered) Altima vs. the features I wanted/have in my 04, the margin of price became a lot closer. With discounts, I paid very close to an 05 loaded Alt.

Of course it has flaws, but I really have to nit-pick to find them. I know not everyone will love this ride, GOOD. I do, you don't have to have one, fine with me. For me to sacrifice a huge chunk of my income, it had to be completely worth it to me. Worth every penny. Actually $3k+ more (than what I paid).
Old 06-28-2004, 09:38 AM

Maxima80, were you the one that painted your brake calipers? From that pic it looks like you did... I assume you've gotta take off the whole tire, correct? What did you use to paint it? Spraypaint or a brush? And what kind of paint did you use? I'd love to do the same, and I'd do it in red... Suggestions are helpful, including whatever brand of paint you used, and what the "specs" were, ie water-based, automotive paint, etc If you have a part # or something for the exact can you used, and where you got it, that'd be great! Cheers to us unique car owners!
Old 06-28-2004, 09:52 AM

actually I found some paint on CustomMaxima.com, that stuff looks pretty good. How did you actually paint them? did you take them completely off to spraypaint, or were you able to paint them and leave them attached?
Old 06-28-2004, 10:03 AM
SuPeRmOd

only "mod" to complete 04 package

Originally Posted by chrisaust
Maxima80, were you the one that painted your brake calipers? From that pic it looks like you did... I assume you've gotta take off the whole tire, correct? What did you use to paint it? Spraypaint or a brush? And what kind of paint did you use? I'd love to do the same, and I'd do it in red... Suggestions are helpful, including whatever brand of paint you used, and what the "specs" were, ie water-based, automotive paint, etc If you have a part # or something for the exact can you used, and where you got it, that'd be great! Cheers to us unique car owners!
Of course bro': My kit from eBay you could get it cheaper than me! or buy it now like i did.

take off ALL 4 wheels, hardens quickly.
cleaned with the spray, should of did more thoroughly, (figured it was brand new but a couple barely noticable spots had oil? paint a lil' thin there).
brushed on 3 coats. If you have time/patience, do maybe 4. Plenty left over. 24 hours cure, prob only need over night. packaging not mass marketed, but seen on other high quality sites for over $50. 950 degrees, lifetime. Can't beat it. looked "orange" going on wet, dried nice bright red.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by jessemcd
Wait a little and get the altima se-r! It looks sweet!
i agree...they look awesome.......and they come in red!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2004, 03:17 PM
drag racing is for wussies

SE-R badge in the US for some of us is like GT-R badge to some Japanesse people, SE-Rs are 91-98 SR20DE powered front wheel drive 2 door Sentras, which will humble Maximas in any contest of speed. I don't think ya ever drove one, or even seen one... till then I will laugh at every Altima SE-R, like I do with all the 02-up Sentra SE-R Spec Vs.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima80
Nice reply Chris.

I was trying to figure out how to reply to the slams of our 04. It was kinda getting me down. But all I have to do is drive it-> instant satisfaction. I absolutely love being one of the select few proud owners. There are Atlis EVERYWHERE in my area. Most were those desiring a Max and settling for less $. (Have seen less than 10 '04s total and 3 locally.) I hate the interior of the Alti. The dash is ugly: *****, I'll take my buttons anyday. So much sleeker, sportier inside (04). I peaked inside a G yesterday, boring interior. I love the space in mine, feel cramped in almost every other car I sit in. When i did a quick comparison of a "loaded" (as much as they offered) Altima vs. the features I wanted/have in my 04, the margin of price became a lot closer. With discounts, I paid very close to an 05 loaded Alt.

Of course it has flaws, but I really have to nit-pick to find them. I know not everyone will love this ride, GOOD. I do, you don't have to have one, fine with me. For me to sacrifice a huge chunk of my income, it had to be completely worth it to me. Worth every penny. Actually $3k+ more (than what I paid).
Most of the people saying these comments, do not own an 04...thats usual...i was looking at the 350z before i bought the max, loved it, but realized a 2 seater wasnt for me....so i looked at the max...awesome...they pull up an 04 3.5se alti...loaded for 26k-27k....still doesnt come close to the max for the extra 2.5k-3.5k i paid for it...everyone and their mom has an alti (no offense, nice car) why get a 2.5 alti, only for size issues, when you can get a spec-v and its 4 doors, smaller of course, but faster....owned an 03, nice decent little car....anyways...love the max, love the power it does have...its not a race car, and i know that....but i wouldnt trade it for anything...love cruising some times to work, to the left is an alti, me in the middle and an 02-03 max to the right fun stuff
Old 06-29-2004, 06:55 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by Maxima80
Nice reply Chris.

I was trying to figure out how to reply to the slams of our 04. It was kinda getting me down. But all I have to do is drive it-> instant satisfaction. I absolutely love being one of the select few proud owners. There are Atlis EVERYWHERE in my area. Most were those desiring a Max and settling for less $. (Have seen less than 10 '04s total and 3 locally.) I hate the interior of the Alti. The dash is ugly: *****, I'll take my buttons anyday. So much sleeker, sportier inside (04). I peaked inside a G yesterday, boring interior.
Wow, what an incredibly subjective response.
If your pride depends on your car and you're sensitive to a few negative words, I really feel sorry for you...but following that reasoning, isn't your "bashing" Altima owners a reason to feel a bit down?

Exclusivity is reassuring - "I have one, you don't."
There's a reason why there are more Altimas than Maximas, the same reason there are more Camrys than Avalons, Civics than Accords - $$$ & the corporations' objectives.

And to suggest that most Altima owners are aspring Maxima owners is pathetic, don't flatter yourself...who do you think you are to make such a judgement? What are Maxima owners aspiring to be?

***** vs. buttons...I'll take the *****, but that's just me. Funny thing that German cars with their endless array of buttons are rarely commended for their ergonomics.