6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Close Call

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 03:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Close Call

Phheewwww.......Close call this morning !

I was on one of very early (6 am) Sunday morning "drive with no-one else on the road to get in my way" runs.....i was cruising down a secondary highway at 120 kilometers per hour. The speed limit is 80 kilomerters per hour. There was no-one else on this highway (country backroads) except for me and last night's roadkill. I drove for about an hour and then turned around to come back home.

I was enjoying a great car (freshly waxed), coffee, some music and a nice blue sky. Everything was perfect and very enjoyable. Until........I came around a corner and saw a Chevy Impalla with tint and a little antenna in the back. This can only be one thing: An unmarked OPP (Ontario Provincial Police). I usually spot these a mile away, but this one came out of knowhere.

As we crossed paths, i saw his brake lights come on. I knew he was going to turn around and come after me. I slowed a little and kept on driving. I couldn't see him for about a kilometer when i spotted him pulling up fast behind me. I'm thinking "man my first ticket for speeding in a gazillion years and on some deserted remote highway in the country at freaking 6 am on a Sunday morning when the whole world is still sleeping". I started getting mentally ready for the inevitable and to take my medicine.

I slowed to about 95 kph to not make it too obvious that i knew that he was now behind me. He was right on my bumper tailgating and pacing me for about 5 kilometers. I let my speed hover between 85 and about 95/100 during that time. I was thinking stop me or get the hell away from me. The suspense was starting to bug me. I felt like hitting the brakes to get his heart going (tailgaiting), but my better judgement prevented me.

Anyways, he finally decided i wasn't worth stopping after all and turned off. Today must be my lucky day. I think that i'm gonig to head out to the store to buy a lottery ticket.

Bob
Old 06-27-2004, 04:14 AM
SuPeRmOd

nice one Bob,
I've blown by police a few times (just noticing them almost too late) slightly slamming the brakes (in old car) and letting go just as passing. Said a thank you prayer and waited for the adreneline to pass.

Impalla must of realized your awesome vehicle must be hard to go slow and had no choice but to be nice. Probably just wanted to see if he could keep up with such a fast car. Or decided that it "looked faster than what I'm pacing it at" since the design is so sharp!

This car is so hard to drive slow with an open road like that.

Please humor me and convert your speeds so I have an idea of how fast? 120 km/h = ? mph
Old 06-27-2004, 04:15 AM

Way to go Bob!

Reminds me of the time I was in my Bonneville a number of years ago -- peeling 70 mph on a 45 mph zone -- a cop was going in the other direction and we crossed going around a bend. I saw his brake lights go on, but he was out of my sight.

Instinctively, I turned into the nearest subdivision, pulled into someone's driveway, shut off the engine, and ducked.

As I peeked out, I could see that the cop had turned around and was in hot pursuit on the main road. Whew! My one escape from the fuzz!
Old 06-27-2004, 05:38 AM
2004 Smoke

Bob - Since you were speeding and you both knew it, and because you were in a fine car which theives are always trying to steal to part out or send to China in a container, and because it was at an ungodly hour on a Sunday, he had no option but to turn around, catch up and see if you looked like a Rastafan, OJ Simpson (you do have a white car) or a guy who had the means to own a Max.

And it took him five clicks to put your data into his mobile data computer, access CPIC, and see what kind of person and vehicle data was coming back. Since you and your Max were clean, and you obviously had learned your lesson (because you were driving responsibly at this point) he backed off. He should have stopped you if for no other reason to ask you how you liked your 04....

That cop did Max owners a service today - making sure it wasn't ripped off and heading to Mexico, and giving you a break because you were obviously out for a stroll, or late for early mass. Hats (stetsons) off to the OPP!
Old 06-27-2004, 05:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maxima80
Please humor me and convert your speeds so I have an idea of how fast? 120 km/h = ? mph
About 75mph in a 50 mph

Smoke 04 - you're probably right ! By the way my car is silver (not white) and BTW i don't look anything like a rastafan or OJ . I was way down south on Hwy 31.

Bob
Old 06-27-2004, 08:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Slightly amusing, but true cop story.

Pumping gas at a gas station in a not so nice section of town. Cop pulls up in a cruiser on the other side of the pump.

"Hey..." he says to me authoritatively

**Ignore him...you've done nothing wrong. He'll go away**

"HEY" a little more forceful now. I know I can't ignore him any longer. I peer humbly around the gas pump to see him straining to see me out of his passenger side window.

"HEY!!" Now I'm really getting nervous. "How are you?" I say...trying not to look too nervous, or guilty.

"Hey...did your Maxima come with that interior...or did you put that in after you bought it" I have the burnt-orange leather.

My heart still beating...I tried calmly to tell him that it came with the car.

"Nice ride...I've been looking at them myself, but haven't seen that interior with the black."

"Thank you.... We talked for a few seconds more, and then he drove away. I breathed a sigh of relief.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:22 AM
SuPeRmOd

It's amazing how we are conditioned (pysch term) to go into "fight or flight" mode, adreneline pumping, positive they're after us, going to lose $$ somehow/arrested, and very nervous.

driving on the highway you're passing people wondering why everyone is going the speed limit or slower until you notice a cop leading the pack. Everyone is so intimidated, they don't dare pass it.
I just keep on going (closer to the limit though) and pass them, slowly.

Or when one is behind you, it's automatic to check your speed and recall if you forgot a turn signal or something. Your heartbeat is sky high and you can't wait for them to go away so you can enjoy the drive.

I'm sure some of them love the power. Of course if none of us sped and drove defensively/cautiously, we may have a different association.

But what fun would that be?

Now I'm not a reckless driver, thinking I'm in NASCAR or something. I try to stick close to the limit and follow the laws better than most, I get passed sometimes. I don't race or endanger others/myself.

But it's a Max.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:28 AM

Thanksgiving of last year i was cruisin in the max to the the parents and so on...going like 85 in a 65, see a sheriffs officer on the side of the road... slow down to about 80 and just keep on driving...he didnt pull me over didnt pull out nothing...sheriffs are not too bad around my area, if i slammed on the breaks it might have been a diff story...