6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Suspension Problem 2004 Sl

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 10:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Suspension Problem 2004 Sl

June 27, 2004

Hi,

I live in Montreal where the roads are bad and I am wondering are there any 2004 Maxima owners out there that have had problems with their suspension. I visited fresh alloy and found out that I am not alone with this problem.

Problems with the 2004 Maxima so far: 6K Miles : 10K kms.

1. Brakes started vibrating around 5,000 kms and continue to do so.

2. There is an excessive amount of heat coming from the vents after the car is turned off and left alone for some time. When you come back and restart the car, there is a lot of hot air coming out of the vents if the a/c is turned off.

3. Front passenger window has been making a noise when you open and close the window

4. Three out of the four doors make a clicking sound when opening the doors.

5. On two separate occasions, nuts and bolts holding clamps and brackets used to attach the Y pipe for the mufflers came loose. They had to be changed and retightened. The other bracket that came loose was for the catalytic converter.

6. Side mirrors get stuck when trying to reposition them.

7. Front right strut (shock absorber) had to be replaced two weeks ago and is already now defective are less than 500 kms.

8. Loud rattle from glove box had to be adjusted

All this after only 20 weeks and only one oil change. I have had fewer problems with a four-year old car than with this car so far. This car has been in the shop for minor repairs every two weeks on average since I received it on January 14, 2004
Old 06-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hi xorbitman,

Some of the problems that you are referring to are well documented on this forum. Just read through a few pages and i'm sure that you'll find what you're looking for.

But stay off the service roads on the 40 in Montreal !!!! Holy mackerel those roads are rough. I travel to Montreal on business every week. I don't take my Max anymore when i go. I don't want to put it through that kind of abuse. I usually rent a car. The last couple of times they upgraded me to a 300C (with the Hemi - woohooo !) I noticed alot of 04 Max's in Montreal last week. They seem pretty popular now.

Good luck with your car.

Bob
Old 06-27-2004, 01:15 PM

Hi Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the heads up. Can you give me any clues where I might find info on the suspension problem.

I really like my Max although lately with some of these gremlins it's been a bit of a love/hate relationship....break up just to make up....that's all we seem to do!

Al
Old 06-27-2004, 01:42 PM

xorbit - Also being the owner of an '04 silver SL (fortunately with none of those problems), I felt pain while reading your post.

There have been dozens of threads here within the past year regarding the struts on the '04 Maxima. Most problems seem to come from two sources: drivers living in areas with bad roads, and drivers who have altered their suspensions in a way that puts more stress on the struts.

I haven't seen any 'magic pill' solution; just have the failed struts replaced under warranty.

There is a rumor Nissan is redesigning the struts for the '05 release, but Nissan is saying nothing. I would feel they would probably begin using any improved strut as soon as it became available, as that would reduce the number replaced later under warranty (a very expensive way for Nissan to replace a strut).

Have you checked to be sure the mirrors are not touching the mirror housing at any point? This is the first time I have heard of a sticking mirror problem.

The warped rotor thing has appeared here dozens of times. It seems that may be a weak point of the new Maxima (as well as the new TL and several other sporty vehicles). Some folks have switched to Bembo (sp?) rotors.

You have a three year bumper-to-bumper warranty, and the sooner you take these problems to the dealer, and the firmer (but politely so) you are about getting them fixed, the better off you (and your car) will be.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the support!

Hi Light,

I visited Atlanta, Georgia back in 1990. I had a good friend of mine living in Marietta who worked at the private airport for Beech. He lives in Cape Coral Florida now. He took boating lessons on Lake Lanier ( I think that's how it's spelt) with a famous school whose boss was the president of the US boating association. I think the chaps name was Bob Evans. Anyway, I visited downtown Atlanta including the CNN centre and I was at a trade show accross the street at the large convention centre. Nice place. My friend's ex-wife at time was working there and was the secretary for one of the big shots. Ted Turner's office was 3 doors down and I was impressed with his collection of Oscars along his office hallway! Incidently Bob was nice enough to introduce my friend to another sailor a few years later and they now are happily married with two kids.

I Stray...thanks for the support, I will be at the dealers first thing tomorrow morning....can't stand the racket the car is making now!

Al