6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

leather seats creases

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 07:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

leather seats creases

We've got an '04, and the leather seating on the front seats are creasing. We had an '00 which did not ever crease. Is anyone else having this problem, and have they had any experience trying to get Nissan to correct it? Thanks.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:57 PM

I have not had this problem, but I have noticed the leather seats on my '04 SL are clearly more 'cushy' than the leather seats on my '00 SE. I would guess the creasing might be connected to a softer backing material now being used with the leather seating.

Perhaps this new backing material allows the leather to move more freely, and the disadvantage is that after a half hour with a warm posterior pressing on it, this material does not return as readily to its original position.

But this is only a guess.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:04 AM

got the same problem. (only on drivers side as it is the one most used) .. never thought of going to nissan for it.. just thought they were lousy/poor material seat covers.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:13 AM

SE has diff leather than the SL, the SE has all little holes in the backing of the leather, not sure the name of this. the sl is more luxurious. at anyrate my drivers side bottom leather is very loose looking, the passenger side and the back are nice and tight. I would get laughed at if I went to the dealer with this one. Ill learn to live with it. I agree though my 97 looked better than this one
Old 07-01-2004, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the replies. I guess it's not just our car then. The wrinkles aren't too bad, just something we never saw on our 2000 Maxima!
Old 07-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Banned

Lots af cars have leather seats that wrinkle/crease. This is part of the leather's "aging" process caused by our fat rear ends.

I like the wrinkles. They add character to the leather, just like wrinkles add character to our faces as we age (men only).

Old 07-01-2004, 04:39 PM

after 2 months though? jeeez ... Hell if humans aged like leather, wed be in rockers by age 3.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:43 AM
Banned

My SL has little holes in the leather also. I only see two different drivers seats for the MAX, one powered the other unpowered. As for creases, they pretty much conform with my extra large butt.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:22 AM

jaydabee, you are saying you have the same seats? hmmmmmmmmmmmm this has me confused, when i was getting my oil changed last week, i went poking around and i noticed that the sl's has diff leather, like a more luxurious type (boy i sound stupid) like it seemed like more puffy, and it seemed very different than the se, with holes, and which is tight.

who knows, what the hell was i looking at???
Old 07-02-2004, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_RI
jaydabee, you are saying you have the same seats? hmmmmmmmmmmmm this has me confused, when i was getting my oil changed last week, i went poking around and i noticed that the sl's has diff leather, like a more luxurious type (boy i sound stupid) like it seemed like more puffy, and it seemed very different than the se, with holes, and which is tight.

who knows, what the hell was i looking at???
Could it have been an Elite you saw, Chris? I'm not sure about the SL myself, as I wanted the SE and didn't even look at the SL. I did look at an Elite, though, and it had buttery-soft, gathered leather. Very nice.

Mike
Old 07-02-2004, 02:15 PM

i have an SE with the leather without the holes. I've seen both of them in the SE's. Havn't seen any of the leather with the holes in the SL's. Havn't looked that hard though.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:49 AM
KC's FINEST

My driver seat creased real bad in the first three days! I took it back and they rewrapped it with new leather. Its been fine ever since. They are aware of the problem....
Old 07-04-2004, 01:19 AM
slb

Originally Posted by scavynger
i have an SE with the leather without the holes. I've seen both of them in the SE's. Havn't seen any of the leather with the holes in the SL's. Havn't looked that hard though.

My SL has the leather "little holes" seats.
SLB
Old 07-04-2004, 02:00 PM

I suspect the "no-holes" SE's are cars the dealer has had aftermarket leather installed in. A lot of dealers do this, either because they can squeeze a few more dollars of margin out of it or (more often) because they have to take a certain number of cloth-seat cars and want to dress them up for upmarket sale.

As long as the covers are of good quality, there should be nothing wrong with aftermarket leather. Some of it looks better to me than OEM. And, frankly, I don't like the little holes ... reminds me of 1960's naugahyde, and the little holes can easily tear out into bigger holes.

Mike
Old 07-06-2004, 02:07 PM

i like the holes. i think its sporty. some nice cars have ventialtion through these holes, not the max
Old 07-06-2004, 08:54 PM

Now you folks are confusing me.

Both the February, 2003 and December, 2003 versions of the '04 Maxima brochure show the cafe latte leather as unperforated and the frost and black leathers perforated, whether in the SE or the SL.

I don't know if Nissan deviated from this setup, but I can say that, of the fifty to seventy SLs that I have perused in the last sixteen months, in every one with frost interior, the leather was perforated, while in every one with cafe latte interior, the leather was unperforated.

Just an observation . . .
Old 07-07-2004, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Now you folks are confusing me.

Both the February, 2003 and December, 2003 versions of the '04 Maxima brochure show the cafe latte leather as unperforated and the frost and black leathers perforated, whether in the SE or the SL.

I don't know if Nissan deviated from this setup, but I can say that, of the fifty to seventy SLs that I have perused in the last sixteen months, in every one with frost interior, the leather was perforated, while in every one with cafe latte interior, the leather was unperforated.

Just an observation . . .
You are correct. If you have perforations or not it is the color of the leather as light stated above. It is not SE or SL driven.