6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

PAC converter question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 06:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

PAC converter question

Hey all, I know its been said but I cant find it...

Will the steering wheel controls work with the new PAC converter the BerkTechnology sells?

Where the heck is the item on the Berk site, I cant seem to find it?

The guys at Berk ignored these two questions when I emailed them. I cant place the order without this knowledge

Thanks guys!
Old 07-02-2004, 06:30 AM

Do you mean Berk Technology as in this:

www.berktechnology.com

I don't know what a PAC is, but i know that they've replied very promptly to my recent inquiries about the new intake for the 04.

Are you sure that PAC is from Berk ?

EDIT: Okay - just looked it up. I could be wrong, but I don't think that Berk deals in audio stuff ??

Bob
Old 07-02-2004, 06:58 AM

Hmmm, I could be wrong. There was a thread where people said its sold for $89 at berktechnology.com.

I went there, couldnt find it, emailed berk, they replied saying its in stock but didnt answer my other questions. they responded quick, maybe they were in a rush, who knows.

any help would be appreciated, i feel like a chicken with its head cut off
Old 07-02-2004, 08:12 AM

Ok, you are looking to buy the Pac Audio AAI-NIS. You can find information on the Pac site here. Scroll down on the page. I found them for sale at Autotoys for $97.95. You can also PM cobymoby (works for Berk) who is selling them for $89.95 shipped until 7/15/04. I ordered the OEM1 from him which adds audio outputs to the Bose stereo. I can use this to add another amp to the system.

You will NOT be able to transfer steering wheel and radio controls to the AAI_NIS on the Maxima. This has to do with how the radio controls work on the Bose system. However, the volume controls on the steering wheel and radio will still continue to work. I have it installed and working and the sound improvements over using a tape adapter are significant.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:59 AM

SO are you saying that the steering wheel volume will not work when I use the SAT option? How about people who have factory SAT, does their steering wheel volumes work? Thanks
Old 07-02-2004, 09:05 AM

If you alrady have a factory SAT system, the PAC Audio Input will NOT work for you. Sorry. The AAI-NIS replaces the wiring going to your sattelite. My car was not even pre-wired so this was a great option for me.

The volume controls on the steering wheel WILL work, but the other controls will not. They are still tied to the radio and will switch you out of SAT mode.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:18 AM

I have the SAT button, but not factory SAT, just regular bose will this work for me??? If not why not, because isnt this PAC device just replacing the input for the SAT.

Also, what cable from autotoys will i need to make and extension to run out to the arm rest where i can use mu ipod or xm delphi.

thanks
Old 07-02-2004, 09:54 AM

Yes, it will work for you. The PAC device just has regular RCA style inputs. Any old RCA plug to 1/8" stereo cable will work for you.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:25 PM

Chris_RI,

I'm sorry if I didn't answer all of your questions as well as you would like. But here are your options for use with the AAI-NIS.

Since your car has the SAT button, but NO satellie reciever installed you can use the AAI-NIS. You will retain the steering wheel controls for the deck as far as the volume and radio buttons.

PAC also sells the SWI-X which is a steering wheel control interface to controll an EXTERNAL device such as a DVD player. The SWI-X will only work if you have a 350Z/G35.

For instance, if you have the AAI-NIS and an IPOD then you would control the volume of the radio through the steering wheel or the actual deck. You would have to change songs on the IPOD by using the IPOD directly.

*IF* if you had a G35/350Z then you would be able to add the SWI-X to controll the IPOD as well to change tracks.

We don't have them listed yet on the site but we are undergoing an entire site redesign which will have them. In the mean time I can only accept direct Paypal payments.

I hope that answers your questions.

Regards,
Bryan
Old 07-06-2004, 01:31 AM

Chris,

I just installed one of the PAC AAI-NIS units on a G35 over the weekend.

It is a simple install, all you have to do is plug it in the back of the radio w/ the two attached harnesses. There is no cutting involved of any sort. We hooked it up to an IPOD and a TV tuner and it works 10x's better than the FM modulated audio input the TV tuner and IPOD was running off of previously.

You will still be using the steering wheel controlls for the volume and such, but you won't be able to use the steering wheel to change the tracks on the IPOD. Even if you use the SWI-X you won't be able to controll the IPOD's tracks.

There are two inputs on the AAI-NIS so if you need to add an additional device then you will able to just plug into the AAI-NIS.

The last and coolest feature of the AAI-NIS is that it has a remote out function for each of the two inputs. So when you hit the "SAT" button on the Bose deck, the AAI-NIS can turn on/off the device that you want. We used it to turn on/off the AV electronics tuner we had installed on the G35 previously. Before the PAC unit we had to manually hit a switch for it to turn on.

I hope that clears things up even more.

Regards,
Bryan
Old 07-06-2004, 10:36 AM

I'm still confused why the SWI-X adapter won't work in the Max. Doesn't it work by programming the steering wheel controls in the same fashion that you'd program the garage door/gate opener buttons on the rear view mirror, by holding the remote for whatever device you want to control in front of the adapter to allow it to "learn" the function? then you just need to place a little transmitter or something in a spot that faces the front of the head unit or iPod. Are the steering wheel buttons just such a weird proprietary design that nothing can be reprogrammed?
Old 07-06-2004, 02:03 PM

Thanks guys, I def have to order this thing.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by chrisaust
I'm still confused why the SWI-X adapter won't work in the Max. Doesn't it work by programming the steering wheel controls in the same fashion that you'd program the garage door/gate opener buttons on the rear view mirror, by holding the remote for whatever device you want to control in front of the adapter to allow it to "learn" the function? then you just need to place a little transmitter or something in a spot that faces the front of the head unit or iPod. Are the steering wheel buttons just such a weird proprietary design that nothing can be reprogrammed?
I don't know why either but I listen to the PAC technicians. There may be a way to get it to work but I have no idea how to program electronics.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:10 PM

I just ordered this adapter from autotoys, free ground shipping, wonder when it will arrive. has anybody else ordered from them?

also, do I need to take out the radio to install this thing?
Old 07-21-2004, 06:45 AM

I installed the PAC converter, easy to do, however I took out the glovebox and side dash trim when I may not have had too. Anyways, I got it all installed, however my XM Delphi Skyfi radio, which has the line out on high, is not sending a loud signal to to the bose radio. Ill put the bose radio up to 31 on the volume control and it will sounfs like 18. I contacted autotoys, where I bought the product and they said:

Your devices are not outputting enough or you have too long of cables.

See this

http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...4&cat=0&page=1

Think I should get this product? Anybody have experience with it? I also tried my RIO mp3 player and it was low too.

hmmmm

But you guys say the IPOD works well?

Im stumped
Old 07-21-2004, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_RI
But you guys say the IPOD works well?

Im stumped
The IPOD works great for me. I do have to run it at basically max volume for the sound level to be "similar" to CD or radio. Since I eventually plan on installing a full computer in my car, I may have to get the line amplifier depending on the output level of the sound card.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:06 AM

Yea same here, its annoyign cause then if you switch to another device, like cd or tape or radio and forgoet to change volume, you blow your ears and speakers
Old 07-21-2004, 08:35 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by chrisaust

I've been dealing with my installer guys about the steering wheel controls working with my aftermarket HU. He called PAC and they said they haven't worked on a Maxima to date. They want him to bring my car to them (they're local in so cal) so they can figure it out. I haven't had time but hopefully I can be the "guinea pig" and get this thing sorted out. I'll keep you posted, it's just hard to give up my car for days at a time....

Also I have my IPOD running straight from my HU and it sounds great, new 4th gen IPOD coming today so now I can have 10,000 songs in my center condsole instead of 5000! Woohoo!!!