6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Making the most of the infamous "Survey"

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 07:38 AM

Making the most of the infamous "Survey"

Hey gang, a few opinions would be really appreciated.

I bought my '04 SL on 6/14. Just got the survey last week and wanted to relay a brief account of my purchase experience to get some opinions on what I can get out of the dealership for rating the survey with all 'excellents'.

The basics are that I had to come back 3 times to buy the car because the salesman I originally talked to wasn't there, so the guy I met on my second trip said he'd prefer I come back to deal with salesman #1. So he let me leave the lot after I pretty much told him "I want this car". When I came back salesman #1 still wasn't there, so I just dealt with salesman #2 anyways. He displayed a mediocre understanding at best in features pertaining to the car, and a complete lack of knowledge about what cars were present on the lot. We discussed a deal and each time I had a question relating to finance, I was made to sit for 15, 20, 25 minutes (total of a couple of hours) while the sales guy went and asked for more or real data or permission or whatever it is they ask when they go to the back room. The deal itself went to my satisfaction until it came to the 'Dealer prep fee' which I told him I would not be paying. At this time a stereotypical sales manager came out (wearing his 70's CHP sunglasses in the lobby) and proceeded to feed me the most insane (and common) sales manager lie: "I am losing money selling you the car at this price". I almost laughed and told him, "Well that wouldn't be wise but it's your job. I still don't think I should pay $400 for a tank of gas and a carwash". After making me feel personally responsible for feeding his children and ensuring the business stays afloat in these times of tough competition, he agreed to split the fee with me (which is exactly what I originally planned on).

So I came back a couple hours later to pick up the car and there was a scratch on it, the inside was dusty, and it had "Altima" floor/trunk mats in it. I pointed all 3 of these things out, and they took it to the back, I sat for another hour, and then they returned the car to me in good shape.

The only problem I've noticed is the glovebox thing which, since there is a TSB, I have every right to have them fix it for nothing (except my time going there and waiting).

Overall, my problems with the transaction were:
I didn't like being put off on my second visit and having to return again (felt like my business wasn't important)

I really didn't like waiting 20 mins every time I had a money question (making the 'deal' process last 3 hours+

I didn't care for being basically lied to (I mean come on, they aren't losing money on a sale where I gave them MSRP, which I did because they gave me more than my trade was worth)

The 'prepped' car was a mess, and had totally wrong floormats in it (so no one english speaking looked at it before they handed me the keys).

I only had a 5 minute dissertation telling me how important the survey was, but the guy gave me the chance to call him in order to make things right if I felt like everything wasn't truly 'excellent'. So I want to call him, but I need some compensation other than an apology to fill that survey form out like they want. I just don't know what is reasonable to ask for, so this is the question to you.. What is resonable to ask for?

Thanks in advance,
SS
Old 07-07-2004, 08:16 AM

Great Post>> I would print this out and send it with the survey. Why not!! It's the truth and have them figure it out on what to answer on the survey. That letter explains your experience at the dealership. Will the dealership know about the letter. Probably!! Maybe you'll get free oil changes for life or something...
Old 07-07-2004, 09:12 AM
2004 Smoke

Smoke Screen -

All the classic, cliche things stealerships do when one is buying a car never end (such as the waiting while the sales person goes into the managers office for a coffee, a chat and a read of the daily paper).

That is why I stopped buying my cars from a salesperson working from list price down, and instead now buy my cars through a reputable third-party negotiator, once I have the dealer pricing. You get a better deal and a much better experience. Try it next time - you won't go back to the classic method of buying a car.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:18 AM

Everyone makes money (even the negotiator), and I was happy getting my car for essentially dealer price. I know about holdback and floorplan assistance, and I know within reason what the invoice prices are (I saw a local factory invoice). I also realize whoever sells the car has to make some money, which I am not opposed to (but not more than is reasonable). That's why I'm happy with the price I paid. And even though I anticipated all the 'tricks' that doesn't mean I had an "excellent" experience.

I'd definitely look into what you're talking about though, as I'd get a chance at a better deal and it wouldn't cost me anything to find out.
Thanks
Old 07-07-2004, 09:30 AM

I see there is no reason to even give them the chance to make it up to you. If you do what they want, their rating will stay high, and that will be untrue.

If you give them a poor rating, what will that cause? In my experience... it has caused a lot of good for me. The dealership tried to make everything up to me, infact they gave me a nearly 1000 dollar out of warranty repair. (this is on my mistubishi... that I didn't even buy from them... long story)

If you are afraid of poor service afterwards, well don't be. The sales staff hardly ever converses with the service staff, and when they do it's not really about setting up targets. And if you do have a feeling of that happening, report that to Nissan also, and go to a different dealership with your car and your story.

You obviously are not happy with their service, so why tell Nissan that you are?
Old 07-07-2004, 10:05 AM

Was it Hemmingway who said 'there's nothing new under the sun'? I mostly concentrate on scientific or technical reading, so am woefully uninformed on the great works of literature. But Smoke's experience is so typical that much of it could have been entered in his diary a year before he entered his dealership.

Except for the 'Altima' floor mats. I almost fell off my chair with that one!

That kind of annoying frustration is why I either mail the dealer my offer on the car I want, or, if the car I want is available at several dealers, I request best driveout offers from each. And I mail them ONLY to the Fleet Manager/Internet Manager. That person almost always has the power to make deals that are difficult to obtain from the parking lot scavengers (floor salesfolks).

This method is not always neat when a tradein is involved, but I evaluate my tradein very accurately, using Edmunds, Bluebook and whatever system the dealer uses to price used cars (they will tell you what system they use if you ask).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming the dealer evaluation has not yet been returned, I would print the scenario you recounted above and take it to the dealer. I would inform him he has one last opportunity to earn his 'excellent'. You can have him earn it by any of several ways:

He can give you a written and signed statement that you have the right to purchase any and all accessories and/or parts you may wish from their parts department at invoice as long as you own this vehicle. If he won't go for the 'as long as', try for one year, then make full use of that year.

He can give you a written and signed statement giving you two or three (try for four?) free oil changes. And maybe a free tire rotation or two.

He can give you an accessory you may have wanted, but which did not come on your particular car. Something not overly expensive, such as splash guards. Or maybe a discount on a more expensive accessory.

If you approach this in a calm, but very firm manner, the result could be beneficial to both the dealer and to you. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:17 AM

Survey benefits to consumer?

Redsand,
Good point, but I also do feel that the sales guy (and there is a whole thread on this) will be most hurt (loss of pay etc...) if I return a less than excellent survey. And putting comments on the survey is what dings the sales manager or service department. And the Sales manager is who sets up the policy of good cop/bad cop when dealing or whatever.

Plus, I don't plan on ever taking my car to the dealership unless its warranty work, recall work, or free work. So if I return a negative survey now, then I blow any chance of getting something for nothing, which I feel I deserve for my beneficial dishonesty (whacked ain't it?).

And if I am going to gain something, I'd rather it be in the 'right now' category, i.e. a cashback rebate, or extra set of floormats (in case I start showing the car) as opposed to free oil changes for a year (which, again, would require me taking my car to the dealer etc...)

(and sorry to lightonthehill for rehashing this, but my question is direct: What is reasonable to ask for in exchange for not costing the salesman part of his pay?)

One guy said his (1) negative survey cost the salesman $1,100. So why can't they throw me a couple hundred bucks and a free detailing?

--------

Lighton...
Thanks for the input, that sounds like a powerful approach. Do you think cash is out of the question? That accessory deal sounds good though, how do I know what invoice price is on those items?

How much is XM radio? $400 or so retail? Maybe get that added on or something..?
Old 07-07-2004, 10:28 AM

My salesman told me if I bring the survey back to them, he'd give me a free tank of gas and a wash. Nice, but woopty do.

The point is, nothing is worth asking for. IMO, after all the crap you dealt with, you shouldn't even give them the satisfaction of knowing you're coming back with the survery. Just send it in directly. If it comes down to it, email a formal letter with your comments above to the general manager.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:35 AM

It's easy to be bitter, but even after a few weeks I'm calmed down enough and prone to be happier getting something material out of the deal rather than the inward satisfaction of 'burning' them. (Agreed though, a $30 tank and $10 wash to save them a grand in bonuses? PA-leeez...
Old 07-07-2004, 11:54 AM

They won't lose money because of a bad survey, they just may not be elligable for a bonus. If the guy didn't do a good job, who cares about him?

If you are afraid the salesman was just doing his job, and the bad service was because of a bad policy, call Nissan's customer support line and tell them the situation.

But I still feal, that if you didn't get good service, don't say that you did. I was ****ed around on my deal, the orignal salesman left me out to dry, the second guy was in his sixties, real nice but didn't know a lot about the car. But he admitted it. He was the only reason I stood it out with that dealership... and I made it known.

I still laugh when I drive by that place, it is coming up on one year of recieving my car. I ordered one, and after getting the run around and it not going to come in time for my vacation, I had them find me a car at another dealership... The orginal car that I ordered that MSRP'd for 33700 is still on there lot to this day with a sale price of 28500. It's been over a year since the order was placed and 11 months since the car has arrived. I'm happy to know that they are getting hosed on that deal. They sold me my fully loaded SE for 35200 with ttl, every dealer accessory, and 200 mile closed trailer transport.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:33 PM
wrj

Actually, the dealer I bought from turned out to be okay. I was considering several cars and finally settled between the Max and Acura TL. The TL's much larger price tag and the Acura dealer's attitude (like he would do me a favor and sell me a car) eliminated the TL.

The Nissan dealer I finally bought from posted their best price on the windshield. It was non negotiable. It was $98 over list. They also gave coupons for free 12 free washes and $.05 off on every gallon of gas for a year.

KBB and Edmund's prepared me well for buying (and selling my used car). The trade-in was the biggest difference with the two Nissan dealers. One Nissan sales jerk was lying to me about the trade-in value. I finally went on his computer and showed him the fair value. He argued that those values are only valid if I pay MSRP. Nice try.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:36 PM

Sounds like a waste of time trying to bribe the dealer. Being honest on the survey is the only way to hope for an improvement in the buying experience for future customers.

Is the survey NOT anonymous?
Old 07-07-2004, 10:32 PM
¿Hablas Español?

How many cars do they sell at this dealership? Is it small enough that your voice will matter? If they sell 100 cars/month and you are the only dissat survey, nobody cares. If they sell 20 cars/month and you are the only dissat, you probably put them under their target.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:55 AM
SuPeRmOd

I read on a previous thread on this that no survey is anonymous. The dealer can look up the # and read it. Anyone know if all excellents are required for the salesman? I had an overall excellent experience, but marked Very Good on a few. Did this hurt him?

I tried to get Sirius installed free as my deal, but is $600 to get from dealer. Install and parts cost more aftermarket.

previous threads:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=318776

https://maxima.org/forums/6th-generation-maxima-2004-2008/259439-clean-k-n-filter.html
Old 07-08-2004, 11:40 AM

Well according to Edmunds options pricing page, the invoice price for XM Radio is $346

(H92) XM Satellite Radio info [MSRP] $400 - [Invoice] $346

So it seems reasonable to me that I could say having that installed is what it would take to make me happy. All they can tell me is go blow and I will fill out the survey honestly and not hold their lack of freebies against them.

Or they can say, we'll do it, but it will cost you $100 or something. This gets me something tangible, right now, that I don't have to wait for, that I really want. And that is the best case scenario for doing the 'survey shuffle'.

That is the cheapest option that I do not have on the car already. So is XM better or Sirius??
Old 07-08-2004, 02:35 PM
SuPeRmOd

another debate: sat. I want sirius for several reasons. If you plan on keeping this car more than 5 years, it's worth their $500 lifetime subscription available until August. Sir offers completly commercial free (xm just the music), has more exclusive sports pacakages (xm just nascar) , true sat. stations (xm recycles some am/fm broadcasts). you can find comparisons on here and the web. I think if u get it for $100 that would be great. It's the labor that almost doubles the price at the dealer.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:42 PM

survey

Originally Posted by Smoke_Screen
Hey gang, a few opinions would be really appreciated.

I bought my '04 SL on 6/14. Just got the survey last week and wanted to relay a brief account of my purchase experience to get some opinions on what I can get out of the dealership for rating the survey with all 'excellents'.

The basics are that I had to come back 3 times to buy the car because the salesman I originally talked to wasn't there, so the guy I met on my second trip said he'd prefer I come back to deal with salesman #1. So he let me leave the lot after I pretty much told him "I want this car". When I came back salesman #1 still wasn't there, so I just dealt with salesman #2 anyways. He displayed a mediocre understanding at best in features pertaining to the car, and a complete lack of knowledge about what cars were present on the lot. We discussed a deal and each time I had a question relating to finance, I was made to sit for 15, 20, 25 minutes (total of a couple of hours) while the sales guy went and asked for more or real data or permission or whatever it is they ask when they go to the back room. The deal itself went to my satisfaction until it came to the 'Dealer prep fee' which I told him I would not be paying. At this time a stereotypical sales manager came out (wearing his 70's CHP sunglasses in the lobby) and proceeded to feed me the most insane (and common) sales manager lie: "I am losing money selling you the car at this price". I almost laughed and told him, "Well that wouldn't be wise but it's your job. I still don't think I should pay $400 for a tank of gas and a carwash". After making me feel personally responsible for feeding his children and ensuring the business stays afloat in these times of tough competition, he agreed to split the fee with me (which is exactly what I originally planned on).

So I came back a couple hours later to pick up the car and there was a scratch on it, the inside was dusty, and it had "Altima" floor/trunk mats in it. I pointed all 3 of these things out, and they took it to the back, I sat for another hour, and then they returned the car to me in good shape.

The only problem I've noticed is the glovebox thing which, since there is a TSB, I have every right to have them fix it for nothing (except my time going there and waiting).

Overall, my problems with the transaction were:
I didn't like being put off on my second visit and having to return again (felt like my business wasn't important)

I really didn't like waiting 20 mins every time I had a money question (making the 'deal' process last 3 hours+

I didn't care for being basically lied to (I mean come on, they aren't losing money on a sale where I gave them MSRP, which I did because they gave me more than my trade was worth)

The 'prepped' car was a mess, and had totally wrong floormats in it (so no one english speaking looked at it before they handed me the keys).

I only had a 5 minute dissertation telling me how important the survey was, but the guy gave me the chance to call him in order to make things right if I felt like everything wasn't truly 'excellent'. So I want to call him, but I need some compensation other than an apology to fill that survey form out like they want. I just don't know what is reasonable to ask for, so this is the question to you.. What is resonable to ask for?

Thanks in advance,
SS
Well with my first second surveies on this company service and clean ups from there build!!! I refered to Maxima.org, listen to them. They have the questions you must have the answers! The buck stops with you Nissan!! We paid you to produce!!! So for service YOU MUST Produce!!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 10:37 AM

Sorry licnyc, I do not understand what you're trying to say, but....thanks

Maxima80, is there a subscription fee for XM and Sirius? How much is the monthly fee for each one?
And I would think sat. radio would get cheaper within a year or 2, so paying now for a lifetime subscription that takes more than 2 years to pay off seems a little risky, but that is a different story.

Any links to threads about XM vs Sirius? A poor mans search didn't turn up anything useful for me.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:59 PM
SuPeRmOd

Saw Sirius 9.99/month until July 17 paid in full for the year. That's only a week left though. I think Sirius is $2 more a month usually, but I think $2 is worth genuine Sat. and not replayed broadcasts.

June 29, 2004 comparison:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/e.../act/feature18
Old 07-09-2004, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke_Screen
Sorry licnyc, I do not understand what you're trying to say, but....thanks

Maxima80, is there a subscription fee for XM and Sirius? How much is the monthly fee for each one?
And I would think sat. radio would get cheaper within a year or 2, so paying now for a lifetime subscription that takes more than 2 years to pay off seems a little risky, but that is a different story.

Any links to threads about XM vs Sirius? A poor mans search didn't turn up anything useful for me.
My servey that I received from nissan usa, after buying and tsb servive stated. If you want to know how people feel about owning and being served by nissan dealer and service from the dealers refer to the maxima.org website. I stated my grievances with them in my sevey. They must produce!!! thats what we pay for!!!!! And if they look they will see all of US!!!!