6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Comparison of SL to SE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 08:46 PM

Comparison of SL to SE?

I have had an Infiniti I30t (touring pkg) for the past 3 years and am considering a trade to an 04 maxima. I have driven the SE and thought that was what I would probably get because I have gotten used to the firmer, sport suspension on my car. However, I am starting to like the looks of the SL's too. Plus the replacement tires should be cheaper for the 17" over the 18"s on the SE. I assume the only differences between the SL and SE are: suspension, wheels, and wood on inside instead of the machined silver.

So, my question is, when buying the 04 what was the main reason you bought an SL over an SE? For those who have driven both, how much different is the suspension?

Thanks for all your help. This board is great!

Rick
Old 07-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I bought the SE because (at the time) the SE had a 5 speed, and the SL had a 4 (not much difference, but...). Oh, and my dealer's inventory was pretty limited (small dealer).
Old 07-10-2004, 09:40 PM
Banned

I bought my SE because of sportier suspension than SL.
never test-driven SL tho...
Old 07-10-2004, 09:48 PM

Pick the SL !

i30t is no '04SE. The SL is even more sporty than the Infi.
I moved from a '97MaxGLE to the '04SE. The SE is pretty quiet and smooth on good roads. Even potholes won't upset it. But going over bumps can be bothering for some. It's fine with me, but a bit concerning with sleeping wife and kids.
On the other hand, I can't resist the 18"wheels and less body-rolls. As a driver, the SE is the only way to go for me.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by cpa4u
When buying the 04 what was the main reason you bought an SL over an SE?
Rick
I bought the SE because of the following features I was looking for in a 4-door sedan:

- Spend about $30,000 (but no more than $33,000).
- 6-Cylinder Engine with Modern Engine Technology (limits to only a few cars).
- Manual Transmission (with at least 5 speeds).

Well this lists severely limits the cars that will qualify. (Honda only has manual tranny on a 2-door sedan). I quickly ended up at the Nissan dealer where I much preferred the Maxima over the Altima. The SL was only available with an automatic (and then only a 4-speed automatic). For me the SL was never in contention. I've had my SilverMax over a year, have about 18,000 miles on the car. I have not been back to the dealer (except to buy oil filters -- I change the oil myself). I also like the tighter suspension on this car -- can't imagine the softer ride of the SL being what I would like (more like a Buick).

I love this car, and would buy another one (when needed). The only reason I should take the car to my dealer is to get the TSB fix on the buzz in the rear shelf from strong bass music notes.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:00 PM

As background, I have driven the sportiest versions of the Maxima since 1985 (I owned two 1985 Maximas). My other car is a 2000 SE.

When looking at the '04 Maxima, however, I never considered the SE (although I did test-drive one the week the '04 Maximas first reached the dealers; my dealer had no SL).

The SL rides like a freeway cruiser (very comfortably), but can take curves and twists surprisingly well. The more comfortable ride was very important to me.

The SL has a higher base price (by around $2,000), BUT, feature-for-feature, it is less expensive than the SE. The SL base price is just over $29,000, but a similarly optioned out SE is over $30,000. The fact the SL was cheaper for the same features (features I wanted, like the Bose CD/changer, leather, HID headlights, etc) was important to me.

I must admit I was not happy that the '04 SLs first came out with 4 speed trannys, and very few had the Vehicle Dynamic Control package. I expressed my disappointment to both Nissan and to my dealer. My patience was rewarded when Nissan began putting the 5 speed tiptronic in all SLs on Feb 6th of this year.

So I have a 5 speed tiptronic '04 SL with VDC/TCS, driver preferred pkg, and power sunroof. Although my 2000 SE has been totally trouble-free, this '04 SL is by far the most pleasant (yet exciting) car I have ever driven.

Just as info, if you do buy an '04 Maxima, you might give preference to VIN serials higher than 900000. Some of the problems of the 800000 VINs seem to have been addressed. That still gives you around 27,000 cars from which to select, as the '04s are now up to VIV 927000.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:32 AM

My last 2 were SE's and to be honest, I grew tired of getting jarred on the bumps as a trade off for better handling???? After test driving the new SL, I immediately realized that it was handling just as well as my other SE's. And that smoothe ride and solid feeling just sold the whole package. Since I never wanted the MT that is so prized by many SE owners, it was the total package of standards on the SL that I wanted, HID's, Climate Control, DP, leather, Bose.

Now of course many will jump all over the handling statement as inaccurate, but I do not push my car in and out of turns, downshifting as I go. So handling in that respect is pretty well negated. I drive most of the time like there is a police cruiser on my tail and an insurance rep on the passenger seat. So as you see, an SL would just be the logical choice for someone like me. How about you?
Old 07-11-2004, 08:36 AM

I got an SE over an SL because of firmer handling and 5speed auto and also 18" wheels. I'm overall glad that I got SE for a more sporty feel but sometimes I think maybe I shouldve went for the SL. My girlfriend gets car sick easily and sometimes it gets uncomfortable for her.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:29 AM
*moderator*

I bought my SL , simply on inexperience (and price). I knew the features I wanted but settled for what the dealer had on the lot and I mostly miss the 5 speed auto (I have the 4) I have grown to like the wood trim inside vs. the silver though.
As far as ride goes...I lowered mine with wheels so I'm not much help there, although for the time it was stock, it rode pretty smooth.
Had I know about ths site before I bought my car and educated myself better I would've waited probably and got an SE with drivers preferred package.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:21 AM

I got the SE for the sporty suspension and better handling. I test drove both, and the only time i felt a big difference was when I took a corner quickly or swerved side to side. Driving nice and regular, the handlign felt the same; the SL was a little smoother, but not too dramtically. Liking a more aggressive drive, I went with the SE. I also like the silver look rather than the wood trim in the SL.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Old Maxima Legend

i have test driven both and couldnt tell much in the ride difference, my family got the SL, but I couldnt tell much difference in the ride and feel of the car.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:17 PM

Ceasars - Did you check the air pressure in the tires of the cars you tested? I found quite a bit of difference between the ride of the SL and SE.

The SE I tested drove like a race car, and I had the feeling I could turn on a dime. There was almost no lean at all, even in sharp corners. If I had to get from point 'A' to point 'B' in record time, the SE would be my easy selection. The SE also has a long-standing image as an enthusiast's car of choice.

The SL has a clearly more cushioned ride, even with 35 lbs in the front tires and 33 lbs in back. I feel confident, comfortable and safe driving it. But I don't have the feeling it is a 'race' car, even though it now has the same engine and 5 speed tiptronic auto tranny as the SE. For my slightly less aggressive driving style, it was an easy choice.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:21 PM

who knows what each gear will take you in an 04 SE? (in mph at redline).. I cant seem to find the stats online.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:52 PM

Not much help here. I tend to baby my SL.

The owners manual says to never exceed 37 MPH in 1st gear, and to never exceed 60 MPH in 2nd gear, so I would expect those speeds are very near redline.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:37 AM

Thanks for all the great responses. I think that I am going to do the most obvious thing and go drive them back to back to see which I like best. I just didn't want a bouncey ride like the older Lincolns or something. I do like the fact that the SE's might be better at cornering and less body roll. However, it sounds like from SL owners there might not be a whole lot of other differences.

Thanks again
Old 07-12-2004, 07:11 AM
andymax95

on number 4 and all have SE models. All of been modded, so I set my own ride preferences. Back in the day, it made a difference in trim options, white gages, same color door handles, fogs, etc. But now a days, its really internals and differnet wheels for asthetics.

I'm liking the touring package my 04 came with

Old 07-12-2004, 09:50 AM

andymax,

Is that yours closest in the photo? If so, that is one SWEET ride!! What grille is that?

Rick
Old 07-12-2004, 10:19 AM

hey all, check out my photoshop and tell me what you think:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=181904&page=4