5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

intake temp

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 08:29 AM

i see all this talk of oscai & cai and fully understand the point to getting cooler air into the engine. however, i'm wondering where the comparisons of actual power increases have been made. my point is this: if all the numbers are from dyno runs with a motionless car running at full throttle, i would expect any non-cold air device to suck huge amounts of hot air from the engine area (and therefore 'score' less than a cold air device).
**However, when the car is moving, there must be a significant amount of turbulence under the car to replenish the cool air.**
and what we really want (aside from dead start races) is power when we're moving. So then has anyone made actual 'real driving' comparisons between intake setups? or are all the comparisons from motionless dyno runs?

perhaps it would be beneficial to rig a thermometer to measure actual intake temp when driving (and on dyno) and see if there really is a significant enough difference that it would skew results aquired from a dyno.

or somehow simulate the airflow of a moving car when doing dyno runs with a rigged box fan and some large duct tubing to get more acurate results.

anyone ever look into this?
Old 05-24-2001, 08:53 AM
Got Bent?

a fan would have a tough time simulating real driving though.....
Old 05-24-2001, 11:25 AM

I would venture to say that all dyno runs are done with the hood open. I am guessing that the intake temp of a motionless car with the hood open should be about the same as a moving car with the hood closed since like you mentioned, the moving car would be benefitting from the air turbulance in the engine compartment. So, in my opinion, the dyno results should be close.

As far as the OSCAI providing cooler air, I don't think it will. The stock snorkel is already drawing in air before the radiator (ie cool air). The point of the OSCAI is to reduce the restriction in the scrunched down stock snorkel and provide less resistance to sucking in that cooler air.

Surely someone has done intake temperature measurements with various setups. This is one of the items measured on the Techtom MDM-100. I know there are a few Max people with this unit. I'll check around to see if someone has more info.
Old 05-24-2001, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Desert Pearl

The point of the OSCAI is to reduce the restriction in the scrunched down stock snorkel and provide less resistance to sucking in that cooler air.
[/B]
Let me get this straight, once and for all...when you install the OSCAI does it serve as a secondary source of air intake for the engine, the primary one being the stock snorkel is that right? Or do you make the OSCAI the PRIMARY air intake?

Sorry I'm late getting into the OSCAI bandwagon...
Old 05-24-2001, 11:41 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by maximawanabee

Let me get this straight, once and for all...when you install the OSCAI does it serve as a secondary source of air intake for the engine, the primary one being the stock snorkel is that right? Or do you make the OSCAI the PRIMARY air intake?

Sorry I'm late getting into the OSCAI bandwagon...
it is a second intake source since the stock air-scoop is still there.