6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Leaky Roof!!!

Old 07-22-2004, 08:24 AM

Leaky Roof!!!

Just when you all thought that all of the 6th gen's problems had been discovered, I've found another! Every single time we get a relatively hard rain, for a few hours while the car is parked, theres a nice puddle of water on the driver's side seat. There appears to be some kind of leak on the driver's side roof near where the head-liner meets the plastic molding. Kinda near where the air-bag symbol is. You can totally see the water beeding up and dripping right on the seat. I've had my Max in twice to the dealership and they are unable to find any problem and have yet to fix it. They tell me they have run high pressure water on it and have run it through car washes and haven't seen a leak yet.
Well, it happened again this morning & I'm fed up with it. I spoke with a guy in the service department earlier and demanded that they get this fixed. I didn't pay all that money for a ncie car to have it leak water! So, now that I have that off my chest, has anyone else had any problems like this so far. I was hoping there was a TSB for this, but haven't heard of one yet.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have a lot of heavy rainf where I live, wash my car a lot and I have never had this. So you get a puddle of water on your driver seat? Your gonna ruin your seat. THis is very strange if they cannot replicate it. hmmm, im stumped.

meanwhile my car is in for service right now, shimmy... im sure they wont be "able to find a shimmy"
Old 07-22-2004, 08:43 AM

"Puddle" was probably not the best word to describe it, but lets put it this way, my wife had to sit on a towel on the way to work this morning because it was so wet.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:16 AM

that sucks, i cant believe we are all having these issues on a $30,000 car.

Everday I wake up hoping my car has turned into a nice Audi A4 or A new Acura TL
Old 07-22-2004, 10:46 AM
andymax95

I kinda have the same problem. My car was leaking through the dome light fixture, water was in the light fixture as well as the sunglass holder. But no sings of the roof liner /carpet or moonroof appearing wet.
Nissan was anable to fix it cause they "couldn't recreate the problem" and then it happened a few days later. I noticed since it happened last week, my left side of my stereo cuts in and out and out on my whole ride to work this morning.

They told me they tested it with a power washer on the car, well that doesn't recreate a heavy rainfall, it is a regular hose rate pressured, which means only high pressure not more flow. dumbarses

Old 07-22-2004, 10:50 AM

jesus, more and more people are complaining about the audio cutting out, that scares me since i havent noticed yet
Old 07-22-2004, 12:27 PM

Thats pretty scary that your speakers would start cutting off at the same time. That would be a big problem if water was shorting out your wiring. Has your dealership looked in to fixing the speaker issue?
Originally Posted by andymax95
I kinda have the same problem. My car was leaking through the dome light fixture, water was in the light fixture as well as the sunglass holder. But no sings of the roof liner /carpet or moonroof appearing wet.
Nissan was anable to fix it cause they "couldn't recreate the problem" and then it happened a few days later. I noticed since it happened last week, my left side of my stereo cuts in and out and out on my whole ride to work this morning.

They told me they tested it with a power washer on the car, well that doesn't recreate a heavy rainfall, it is a regular hose rate pressured, which means only high pressure not more flow. dumbarses
Old 07-22-2004, 12:52 PM
andymax95

It's almost like a recording everytime I go to the dealer, " we cannot fix a problem that we can't recreate" Listening to the radio for a spit second doesn't answer any questions, drive around, hit some bumps and then tell me what you hear. I tell you they are lazy. When I got me car back last week, i saw a screw in my cupholder, oh the screw that holds the dome light on. Bastards. Going back on Monday for more hell.

Old 07-23-2004, 04:48 AM
SuPeRmOd

The one rainy day, my driver door speaker had "static". Later that day it was gone. I figured the wiring some how got wet.

After rain, when car is mostly dry, if i open and close windows, they're all wet. How is all this water getting in the doors? I hope they don't rust.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima80

After rain, when car is mostly dry, if i open and close windows, they're all wet. How is all this water getting in the doors? I hope they don't rust.
If the windows are wet only on the outside, that's normal and is just the water on the seals spreading on the window as it goes up and down. Surely you've noticed that on all cars after you wash them or after rain. If they're wet on the inside, too, then that's a problem.

The doors have drainholes for water that gets past the seals/gaskets on the outside and in normal use shouldn't cause a rust problem.

Mike
Old 07-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I know what is wrong with it

Originally Posted by clayman88
Just when you all thought that all of the 6th gen's problems had been discovered, I've found another! Every single time we get a relatively hard rain, for a few hours while the car is parked, theres a nice puddle of water on the driver's side seat. There appears to be some kind of leak on the driver's side roof near where the head-liner meets the plastic molding. Kinda near where the air-bag symbol is. You can totally see the water beeding up and dripping right on the seat. I've had my Max in twice to the dealership and they are unable to find any problem and have yet to fix it. They tell me they have run high pressure water on it and have run it through car washes and haven't seen a leak yet.
Well, it happened again this morning & I'm fed up with it. I spoke with a guy in the service department earlier and demanded that they get this fixed. I didn't pay all that money for a ncie car to have it leak water! So, now that I have that off my chest, has anyone else had any problems like this so far. I was hoping there was a TSB for this, but haven't heard of one yet.

I had the exact problem as you! Tell your dam dealer to actualy do some work like drop the headliner down and reattach the drain hose that goes down your apillar down to your rocker panel. it is there to drain water. well the hose is disconnected garuntee it! i would lay money on it. i would also bet that your car was one of the hail damaged cars as well.
my car is the biggest peice of crap i have owned in 5 months we have had to replace or repair and i am not kidding 27 items on this bucket.!!!! I will never deal with nissan again, now before you all start flameing me with your comments, you cant argue with me on this cause it is my car and i have the problems not you, it may be isolated but looking at this site i dont think it is. there is no quality control in these cars. I bought the car cause i am just like you i love the styleing and performance of the car but i have never had so many problems with 15 cars that i have owned in the past. Good luck and by the way have them replace your headliner cause the glue will eventualy let go where the water ruined it near the a pillar mine did!
Old 07-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have had 15 items replaced or repaired so far, plus I'm needing quite a few more (the shift **** came off in my hand the other day, so I'm currently driving around using only the metal stick... I'm just lucky I have an automatic).
Old 07-23-2004, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
I have had 15 items replaced or repaired so far, plus I'm needing quite a few more (the shift **** came off in my hand the other day, so I'm currently driving around using only the metal stick... I'm just lucky I have an automatic).

I think there's a TSB out there for this one...
Old 07-23-2004, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by andymax95
I kinda have the same problem. My car was leaking through the dome light fixture, water was in the light fixture as well as the sunglass holder.
same with mine, but they were able to determine that it was the skyview leaking.

one thing to try is close all windows and turn on the airconditioner or heater.

stand outside of your car and feel for any air leaks.

never tried it myself, but it was mentioned before.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:27 AM

Well, the leaking roof happened again! I call my dealership and demanded that this be fixed and that I didn't want to hear any more excuses. I told them that I wanted a rental too while the Max was in the shop and at first they're like, "well...we dont have a policy for that", but after reiterating all the problems I've had, the guy gave in. Not only that, but my odometer is being replaced because the 3rd & 4th digit aren't displaying properly. And the best part about that is, that the car CANT MOVE until it's replaced. I know...another new Nissan quality issue. So, they hooked me up with an 04 Jeep Cherokee, which I must admit is a nice change, but I'll be glad when I have my Max back, HOPEFULLY fixed.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:06 AM

i had the same proble4m with a leaking roof at the pillar arm on the drivers side. IT is the drain tubes in the sun roof. If you leave the sunroof open and the drain tubes get clogged water will collect. Take it to your delaer and ask them to check that. They fixed my problem pretty quickly and has not leaked since.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:59 AM

Obvious...and I'm a nOOb

Originally Posted by jrrendon
i had the same proble4m with a leaking roof at the pillar arm on the drivers side. IT is the drain tubes in the sun roof. If you leave the sunroof open and the drain tubes get clogged water will collect. Take it to your delaer and ask them to check that. They fixed my problem pretty quickly and has not leaked since.
I don't get it. Why didn't the dealer mechanic check this first? Just reading the thread (and I am not a mechanic by trade) I was going to suggest checking to see if the sunroof drain tubes were attached or clogged (blowing air gun through from bottom of tube can clear obstruction). But check to verify hose is attached.

I'm afraid to read anymore posts. I just bought a 2004 Maxima SE (Smoke/Black Leather) and will take delivery next week.

I've been a Toyota owner for last 23 years and had it with Toyota (lack of performance, quality downslide, over-priced parts and arrogant dealerships). I looked at Audi (please, they have problems too...aka coil packs), Infiniti (G35 ..don't like the seat controls or lack of headroom), Acura (My boss got the same TL in color...I wanted...too much road noise)...Subaru (nice but underpowered and I don't need AWD).

So, welcome me to the group. And good luck with the leaks...
Old 07-24-2004, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by maximage
I don't get it. Why didn't the dealer mechanic check this first? Just reading the thread (and I am not a mechanic by trade) I was going to suggest checking to see if the sunroof drain tubes were attached or clogged (blowing air gun through from bottom of tube can clear obstruction). But check to verify hose is attached.

I'm afraid to read anymore posts. I just bought a 2004 Maxima SE (Smoke/Black Leather) and will take delivery next week.

I've been a Toyota owner for last 23 years and had it with Toyota (lack of performance, quality downslide, over-priced parts and arrogant dealerships). I looked at Audi (please, they have problems too...aka coil packs), Infiniti (G35 ..don't like the seat controls or lack of headroom), Acura (My boss got the same TL in color...I wanted...too much road noise)...Subaru (nice but underpowered and I don't need AWD).

Its' strange that you feel the Acura TL had "too much road noise". I had an 04 Max SE that Nissan ended up buying back. I now drive an 04 TL, I would argue it's quieter than the/my 04 Max was.

Good luck with your future Max. Hopefully it won't have many of the issues Nissan has been dealing with. In regards to my Acura, it doesn't have the mechanical issues the Max had but it has had several little quality issues that should never have existed. Then again, many Acura folks are having much worse luck too.
It's a fact, it doesn't matter what the vehicle, they're all having quality problems now days..

Good luck
Old 07-25-2004, 07:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maximage

I have the answer for you!! the monkeys they have working as so called mechanics couldn't fix your leaking problem is because....... ARE you ready....... they couldn't hook it up to a computer to tell them how to fix it and repair the problem! wala!!!! theres the reason there is no such things as a mechanic anymore, that is why they are called technichians computer technichians. if they the computer cant tell them what to do then they put there thumb up there butt and say drrrrrrr i dont know
Old 07-26-2004, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by gump
I have the answer for you!! the monkeys they have working as so called mechanics couldn't fix your leaking problem is because....... ARE you ready....... they couldn't hook it up to a computer to tell them how to fix it and repair the problem! wala!!!! theres the reason there is no such things as a mechanic anymore, that is why they are called technichians computer technichians. if they the computer cant tell them what to do then they put there thumb up there butt and say drrrrrrr i dont know

True. Plug it in and ...no problem. Next!

My buddy (once ASE Master Mechanic for Saab, Honda, Acura..now a Service Writer for Audi) used to hate the electronic diagnostics. Someting as simple as a fuse or bad relay could cost more time than parts. And the cars, though more electrical than ever before, don't have redundancy nor sensors for the sensors.

About the Acura being noisey...I was sitting in the back seat and had to raise my voice to the front passenger. Windows were up, A/C was on low. Tires were Turenzas (3 of 4 had plugs from nails) and it seemed louder than my truck cab. Ofcourse, it wasn't nice pavment..

e-
Old 07-29-2004, 08:22 AM

I should finally be getting my Max back from the dealer today....HOPEFULLY!! They replaced my odometer at the same time. I'm hoping this is the last time I have to get anything fixed for a Very Long Time. Meanwhile I've been driving a rental 2004 Jeep, which is a lot of fun to drive, but nowhere near as much fun as the Max.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:30 AM

I was about to buy a 2004 Maxima, went with a 2001 Max SE..it has it's share of problems...never buying a Nissan again. My Accord on the other hand is 6 years old, paint job is fantastic, engine sounds nice and the car has the same pickup as when i first bought it 6 years ago. NIssan is a total disappointment.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Crimped hose?

I had a leak on the passenger side at the top of the "A" pillar on a sunroof equipped model. It ended up being a a drain hose that was too long and folded over at the bottom where it should drain out. They must have had a deal on longer hoses at the factory. I ended up removing the glove box, lower glove box panel and kick panel to get to the hose. What a pain in the neck! I'd still rather spend 2 hrs at home though, than $200+ at the dealer, and know that it was done right.

I hope that this helps someone .