6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Window tinting for 6th gen Max

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 08:10 AM

Window tinting for 6th gen Max

I'm thinking of having the windows of my '04 Max tinted but I've never done this before. What would it cost to do this? (What's a reasonable price?) Is there anything I need to watch out for? Anyone have any recommendations for having it done in the Atlanta area?

Old 07-30-2004, 08:18 AM

I'm shopping around also. I found two in my area, $180 and $175. But, got a recommendation for another place about 2 hours away (in the Delta) for $100. This guy works under an aluminum awning. I'm going down that way in a week anyway so I'm thinking about using him.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:35 AM

Visit this site www.tintdude.com it can answer some of your questions and there is a shop locater there. They even have a message board there that you can search.

Just be careful, cheap price usually means cheap tint. You don't want your windows turning purple now do you?

I paid $255 for my tinting and it is guaranteed for life against color fading. Stay away from dyed tints. Be careful about metalized tint because it can interfere with the rear antenna. Oh yeah, and ask the tinter how he tints over the matrix dots on the rear window. That is a problem area that some tint won't adhere. Last but not least, post pictures!!!!

Here is another site that can help you also: http://www.autowindowtinting.com
Old 07-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I live here in the Atlanta area and I got my tinting done at Hot Spot Tinting for $200. I'm very happy with the job they did, and it's guaranteed for the life of the car. It's located in the Car Spa complex at the corner of Cobb Parkway and Windy Hill Rd.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:59 AM

I know this is an old thread, but I'm getting ready to tint my windows. I wanted to make sure I told the tint guy the right thing about the dot matrix. Did you all you vinyl or have then scuffed? Also, there is an area on the front windshield as well. I know they should remove the rear light, but what else should I tell them or look for?
Old 07-16-2005, 02:54 PM

I got 35% in the front and 20% in the back done at my dealership for 75$.......
aahhh the perks of working for nissan.

P.S.... LOOKS SLAMMIN!!!!
Old 07-16-2005, 06:33 PM

27% all the way around for 150 at Nortons car stereo....
Old 07-16-2005, 07:08 PM

Paid 180.00 life time deal, 35% all the way round
Old 07-16-2005, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by maxzma
Visit this site www.tintdude.com Oh yeah, and ask the tinter how he tints over the matrix dots on the rear window. That is a problem area that some tint won't adhere.
Had mine tinted 225 CAD .. and i see the matrix as u mentioned... looks bad but i do not feel like asking it tobe redone.. figured it was not easy will try and post a pic tomorrow of the rear (if no rains)
Old 07-16-2005, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by MAXY-NOT-L8
I know they should remove the rear light, but what else should I tell them or look for?
remove it (brake light) urself ... it's easy and was posted on this site .. plus it's in the manual... only thing... do not press down too much on the back .. else when u put it back u will see the gap from the brake light (when applied)
Old 07-16-2005, 09:19 PM

Whats up with the matrix dots? How can they work around it? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for places in northern Maryland?
Old 07-17-2005, 05:05 AM

http://www.tintdude.com/dot-matrix.html
Old 07-17-2005, 06:43 AM

What is that dot matix stuff for or what is it supposed to do other than make it difficult to tint windows? Why is there a large section of it in front of the rear view mirror?
Old 07-17-2005, 06:55 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I recommend find out your states legal limits and find a tint shop which does computer laser cuts (it's a shop that has a computer program with the exact window specs and cuts the tint to the exact fit) Not only does this save time on the installs, the lines will be sharp and straight. Depending on where you live, a good ballpark figure for laser cut installs on a 6th gen is around $175-200. Good luck...
Old 07-18-2005, 07:57 AM

ok guys, I had my car done yesterday w/ 15 all the around and it looks GREAT. However, the back window, I'm not too happy with (dot matrix). Do you all have the white "bubble'' so to speak? I'm thinking about taking it back tomorrow, but I wanted to give it enough time to dry. This was the only concern that I had about the car. As far as the 3rd brake light, he took it off. So, if you all could post some pics of your back window, I would greatly appreciate. Finally, what did you all tell them to do if you do not have these white bubbles. Thanks
Old 07-18-2005, 08:48 AM

Unfortunitely, the back windows are always the worse because of the dots and rear window defogger, bubbles are not good, some will pull in after a sufficent dry time, however most will not.

Bottom line, my rear window was done twice and like you, if your not happy with it, take it back and demand quality, it's your money and normally you will not get any argument from the shop since the job is so recent. Good luck and I hope they put your third brake light back in and only removed it for the install???

Sorry, this is the best pic I have of my back window, 35% rear, 20% rear sides, 35% front sides (MD State Legal)

Old 07-18-2005, 12:29 PM

I ran out and took some pictures for you. I had mine done a little over a year ago. I know what you are talking about with the white bubbles. I think what you are seeing though, is an optical illusion that the dots give off that look like bubbles. If you look closely you will see that the white areas are actually the dots. Considering this is a problem area I am happy with the way mine turned out. It's better than spray painting or whatever else they do, or putting a piece of black vinyl over it. I guess they could glue it down, but I think it is just hard to get this area perfect. It is very hard to see and from the outside you can not see it at all. The 3rd picture is more realistic of what it truly looks like from inside the car. Let's just say I am very **** and if I felt in the least that this looked bad it would not be on my car. You are talking to someone who just spent $350 to have their bumper repainted because of some scratches. Oh and this is my second tint job because the first one some local yocal did looked like total crap. The back window was a disgrace. They stripped the entire car and I took it out of state. This state and tint jobs don't mix.

Old 07-18-2005, 12:39 PM

I ran out and took some pictures for you. I had mine done a little over a year ago. I know what you are talking about with the white bubbles. I think what you are seeing though, is an optical illusion that the dots give off that look like bubbles. If you look closely you will see that the white areas are actually the dots. Considering this is a problem area I am happy with the way mine turned out. It's better than spray painting or whatever else they do, or putting a piece of black vinyl over it. I guess they could glue it down, but I think it is just hard to get this area perfect. It is very hard to see and from the outside you can not see it at all. The 3rd picture is more realistic of what it truly looks like from inside the car. Let's just say I am very **** and if I felt in the least that this looked bad it would not be on my car. You are talking to someone who just spent $350 to have their bumper repainted because of some scratches. Oh and this is my second tint job because the first one some local yocal did looked like total crap. The back window was a disgrace. They stripped the entire car and I took it out of state. This state and tint jobs don't mix.

Ditto, mine looks the same from the inside, however looks great overall...
Old 07-18-2005, 02:43 PM

Thanks for posting some pics. I just had mine done yesterday afternoon. The front matrixs looks better than the back. I'm going to talked to them tomorrrow and see what they have to say. In the mean time, I'll take some pics and post them. I'm with you, I am very **** myself and actually went out of my way to get mine done.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:58 AM

i've got 15 all around i got it done down in cocoa beach, they did a great job. now i want my front window done with like 30% mirror tint to keep the heat off the dash. but i want a light shade so it is not extremely noticable.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:17 PM

I was orginally going to tint my front window tinted 35%. If you get into an accident, for any reason, it will automatically be your fault. I wish there was a better solution for the front windshield. I have the banner across the front, but it's just to the AS1 line. I would like it a few inches lower to help the glare. I still regret not getting the window done, but I worry down the road if I was in an accident. I was reading that someone was in a federal lawsuit for having theirs done.

By the way, my windows turned out great. I guess the water wasn't try, I am very happy w/ they way the matrix looks on the back window.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:32 AM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

I paid 100 nucks for mine. This is my second time with the place that I go to. The warranty is for five years. I live in the d.c. area. I have 20 all the way around. My other max's tint has been on for three years. So for so good. They even told me if my window was broken to bring a police report and it would be replaced for free. If you are worried about it turning purple just make sure you don't use an ammonia based window cleaner. Just my 2 cents. Good luck none the less.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:42 AM

Did you ever get your front windshield tinted? If so, how do you like it? I wish I could do mine, but I'm too worried about police and the accident ordeal.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:37 AM

Paid $70, lifetime guarantee.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Mine was done recently with the lifetime warranty. My suggestion is go with the lifetime warranty because window tint can fade easily or even bubbled or scratched. And that's what the lifetime warranty can give you..C O V E R A G E !
Old 07-25-2005, 02:45 PM
GrandPa

I had my done in Florida and I have a lifetime warranty also. I see alot of cars in Florida with the front windshields done. I think it is unsafe. How do you see at night or in the rain? Warren
Old 07-25-2005, 03:37 PM

Well i used to tint windows for a living and i have mine tinted 5%(limo) tint on the roll-ups and 20% on the back. Your prolly wondering why so dark, well, i love it... and the cops in this part of maryland dont press you so much bout it if you drive normally(theres ALOT more to worry bout here than ppls dark tint). My shop uses the computer controlled tint cutting software you are talking bout. And about the Dot Matrix on the back glass, i suggest getting it tinted with the film cut right where the dots starts(tinting on the dots can sometimes cause peeling cuz the dots are raised). Theres is a special glue that can be used to tint on dot matrix sections. But it will still look the same(like its not sticking or air pockets), cept it is sticking and thats how it looks. We never use the glue. Plus the Dot matrix provides a decent shade already, so it blends with the tint real easily if cut it right. My shop charges $150 for sedans like the max but of i did mine myself at no cost.

I love that tint cutter, shaves like 20-30 mins off a job and is usually 90% accurate. Can also be used to make a design using the tint(Custom-Designed Tinting). Since we have no website yet, here's some examples of custom-tinting.

http://www.chromeflames.com/tibal.htm

Yall got any questions bout tinting feel free to ask.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had mine done at a local Ziebart, $225.00. They did a great job, the dot matrix stuff was not completely sealed off and bubble free on the first day that i got it back but the next day i went outside and rubbed the bubbles out with my finger and they stuck perfectly, As for the defroster lines, i did the same thing. I got a lifetime warranty and its a 5 layer tint, 35% all the way around, Looks great!! Just make sure that the tint u get has a warranty.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:05 PM

Solo..what do you think about tinting the front windshield? I know most tinters are against it, but it helps w/ the glare on the front windshield. I had mine done to the AS1 line and it's still not low enough. I'm thinking about taking it back to have them go down farther. I would love to tint the entire window, but not sure about the police and accident ordeal. Any suggestions?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:23 PM

well, the reason most tinters are against tinting the front windshield, is mainly cuz its pretty much highly illegal everywhere(thats why our software doesnt have cuts for frontglass). but we have'em on the cars anyways. For ourselves only, of course. I myself havent gotten around to it yet but i've been meaning to. The only thing with the line thing on your front is for state auto inspection. thats why i suggest getting an inspection over with before a tintjob. you can go below the line. Its not like police are walking the streets, checking if every front tint strip is dead-on legal.

As for the WHOLE front tinted, if you do get a shop to do it. Its mostly gonna be a favor/at-your-own-risk type deal. Some of our close friends, have 35% Smoke(aka black) tint on the front, which is the legal Maryland limit for Tint ON THE OTHER WINDOWS (once again, tinted frontwindshields are illegal everywhere). BTW, ever wonder why the front rollups look lighter than the back rollups, thats because the untinted front glass bleeds light into the front of the cabin. So when the front gets tinted, you'll notice that the other tinted windows look darker than they were before the frontglass was tinted. Thats because the last opening(front glass) for intruding light has been eliminated. What some of my co-workers have been experimenting with is putting 35% Graphite (think smoke mixed with mirror or a Dark mirror. Better yet the front grille of the max) on the front glass. Yes its not dark, but it has one special thing going for it, REFLECTIVITY. This makes light BOUNCE off of it.

so picture this:
-You have an untinted car. Light coming inside from all angles.
-You then tint the roll-ups and the back glass with say, 20% Smoke(black) tint.
-Light coming in from those angles are eliminated (to a degree)
-But you still have light coming in from the front.
-You get Graphite on it and now the front is pretty much bouncing light.
-Add to the fact not much light is entering into the car, trying to look at the face of the driver can be a quite a challenge.

Sounds cool, huh. Driving all stealth like that.

But, you also have to think about the cops in your area... Over here you can get away with a few things(i dont use the front license plate, limo tint). Its usually the moment you get pulled over for something else (like speeding), they check everything else. I accidently parked in a handicap spot at a 7/11(it was an in-and-out thing so i wasnt paying much attention), COP came in yelled "who has the WHITE NISSAN?". It clicked. i parked in a handicap spot. I played dumb, acting worried as if my car was broken into before they went and showed me what it was. Told them it was an accident, they asked wheres my front plate, where did i get my windows tinted. Played dumb, and they let me off with a warning. Not even a citation or nothing to get it taken off.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:46 AM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=SoloSL203]well, the reason most tinters are against tinting the front windshield, is mainly cuz its pretty much highly illegal everywhere.

Like you say its illegal and cool. I think its unsafe. How do see at night or when it rains day or night? Like one member said above if you get into a accident if will be your fault. My 2 cents. Always be safe. Warren
Old 07-26-2005, 11:27 AM

Like I said, I would love to do it. However, I'm worried about visiblity at night, since I have Llumar ATR 15% all the around. If I did get it done, it would be 35%. I have tried to drive at night w/ my sunglasses on, just to see what it's like.

On a positive side, I did read that someone was in an accident and the police said it was a good thing that the front window was tinted or else the window would have shattered.

As far as the police, I had 20% on my old car for 9 years and never had any problems. Then again, most cars are tinted here, b/c it's so hot and humid. Today, it's 98 and w/ heat index of 105. So, I think they don't really care about the roll-ups, it's more of the front windshield. I don't know anyone who has it done or else I would ask them. I just wanted it to keep my car cooler and have less of a glare.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:50 PM

well from the inside, 35% smoke is barely noticeable.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by MAXY-NOT-L8
Like I said, I would love to do it. However, I'm worried about visiblity at night, since I have Llumar ATR 15% all the around. If I did get it done, it would be 35%. I have tried to drive at night w/ my sunglasses on, just to see what it's like.

On a positive side, I did read that someone was in an accident and the police said it was a good thing that the front window was tinted or else the window would have shattered.

As far as the police, I had 20% on my old car for 9 years and never had any problems. Then again, most cars are tinted here, b/c it's so hot and humid. Today, it's 98 and w/ heat index of 105. So, I think they don't really care about the roll-ups, it's more of the front windshield. I don't know anyone who has it done or else I would ask them. I just wanted it to keep my car cooler and have less of a glare.
I would recommend do what you think is right, you know you driving environment better than anyone else, if I still lived in a big city I would prefer darker tint because the street lights may help, down here in Southern Maryland, we have rural roads with no lights and dark tint can be a death sentence with deer and people walking along these country roads.

Ramberg said it correctly, safety first. IMO, the cop that credited someone for illegally tinting his front window better go back to the police academy and redo his window tinting state laws 101 class. Yes, some people get away with it and knowingly break the law; it's just a matter of your tolerance level to do the same.

I have 35% front sides, 20% rear sides, and 35% rear, MD state legal and I think they look great and it's legal so I sleep good, your call dude...

My sample picks with above tint numbers...

Old 07-27-2005, 08:36 AM

I just got mine tinted by the dealer and it looks pretty good. They did it by mistake (threw it in) so I'm not sure what % it is...
Old 08-08-2005, 10:50 AM

I'm in Atlanta as well and I was going to get my SE tinted with Llumar (32%) but this place was quoting me $330 with a lifetime warranty. Is it because of the Llumar window film or is someone trying to rip me off?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:40 AM

I got 15% Llumar Atr all the way around w/ a windshield banner for $150.00 lifetime warranty. I would say that's quite high, you may want to check else where.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by SKnucks
I'm in Atlanta as well and I was going to get my SE tinted with Llumar (32%) but this place was quoting me $330 with a lifetime warranty. Is it because of the Llumar window film or is someone trying to rip me off?
Is that for 2 cars? ~$150 is about normal, tint films don't cost that much different between different brands(maybe $1 per foot difference). Get out your yard stick and measure.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by SKnucks
Yo, that price is sick crazy, tell him you can get it cheaper someplace else "WITH A LIFETIME WARRENTY" if he tries to lower the price, you can bet he is trying to screw you over. I had mine professionally installed at a laser cut facility and paid $175.00 with a lifetime warranty...
Old 08-08-2005, 03:59 PM

yea, man dats definately a ripoff. i dunno much about the tint Llumar (we usually stick with the same brand). but we charge 150 for sedan, computer cut, and lifetime warranty. sooooo yea, check other places.

Quick Reply: Window tinting for 6th gen Max