6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Mods and warranty (bulbs, alarm, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 09:38 PM
SuPeRmOd

Mods and warranty (bulbs, alarm, etc)

I want to change my fogs to PIAA yellow Ions, and my cornering, reverse, & licence lights to Xtreme whites. I also want to add a shock sensor to my alarm. Already purchased each.

Asked salesman before about mods. He replied, only the related parts would be voided if the mod causes damage like bad wiring for an a/m alarm. And service guy said he would switch my fogs for $30.

Called yesterday and service manager acted scared to do any of the above mods. He's afraid my warranty for related parts would become void if something happened. (So basically if you do mod anything that are is voided.) He asks, "Are they Nissan made?" I told him they're PIAA and the sensor is made for OEM alarms. Not sure if he would do it, but he will look at them. He would have no problem switching my sway bar if I got one though, because they do that often even though it's Stillen and not Nissan.

I would just do these myslef, but don't want to mess with the headlight assembly. I figured if they did the mods, my warranty would be okay. If the PIAA bulb goes out, of course I won't want warranty to cover it. But if a HID goes out, that has nothing to do with the fogs I switched.

How could I get them to do the work? Who make the OEM bulbs? Or does anyone know how to switch them easily, or someone else to go to? If something goes wrong, I would just but the stock bulbs in or remove the sensor.
Thanks,
Justin
Old 08-27-2004, 09:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

I'll sum up what it says. If you modify one thing, and something totally unrelated breaks, they must honor their warranty on that part.

Example -
You buy one of our intakes (www.berktechnology.com) <--shamless plug. Your HID bulbs burn out.

The dealer must honor your warranty on the lights. They may try and scare you into thinking that they are allowed to void the entire car warranty but they are not within what the law states.

Federal Warranty Laws
1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part:

“No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name...” (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).
Old 08-28-2004, 02:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

maxima80, i'm planning on swapping out the bulbs too and i was wondering what are the bulb sizes. thanx in advance
Old 08-28-2004, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by akaxmrxhammer
this is off the subject but how much are you guys selling the mid-pipe for 6GEN max cobymoby? or do i have to purchase the whole intake ....
The midpipe kit alone is $59.95 + $5 shipping. I have every silicone coupler color in stock, red, blue, or black.

Regards,
Bryan
bryan@berktechnology.com
Old 08-28-2004, 10:31 AM
SuPeRmOd

maxima80, i'm planning on swapping out the bulbs too and i was wondering what are the bulb sizes. thanx in advance
In the manual is a list of most sizes. The fogs are H3, cornering 3156, Reverse 912, and licence plate 168. I went to http://www.ltbmotorsport.com/index.html for the cheapest prices, flat shipping, and received in 2 days. Now I just want the lights switched.

So from what Coby posted, Nissan cannot void a warranty because the manufacturer is another company than Nissan?

Anyone now who makes the bulbs for Nissan? I guess I can argue that if Stillen is okay why wouldn't PIAA? they are the same specs.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:51 AM

Maxima 80, I switched the bulbs myself. It's not too difficult if you have the time. The headlight assembly doesn't need to be removed to do this. Let me know if you plan on doing it yourself.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:04 AM

1) Fog lamps: H3
2) Cornering lamps: 1157
3) Interior dome/map light (front & rear): T6
4) Reverse lamps: 912 or W2
5) License plate, foot lamps, glove box, trunk: 168
PIAA makes all these bulbs and they're available on ebay. Check out my Cardomain for pics. Hope this helps.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thanx alot guys.. what would i do without the org...
Old 08-30-2004, 12:42 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by Edify11
Maxima 80, I switched the bulbs myself. It's not too difficult if you have the time. The headlight assembly doesn't need to be removed to do this. Let me know if you plan on doing it yourself.
Edify, can you tell me how to change the bulbs? How do you get to the fogs, corners, reverses, and licence lights?
Thanks
Old 08-30-2004, 02:58 PM
SuPeRmOd

Well I called Nissan warranty. I thought if a dealer installed a mod, you'd be covered. Nope. Doesn't matter who does it. If a malfunction is determined (by dealer) to be the fault of a mod hen that item's warranty is void. So I guess I may as well try to change and install on my own. No point in paying dealer.

Anyone know where the wires for our alarm are? And how to access the exterior bulbs?