6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Cell Phone Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 07:10 AM

Cell Phone Feedback

While using my cell phone, I am unable to avoid the nasty feedback from the speakers. Has anyone found a way to eliminate this problem? I had no problem using any sort of electronic devices in my 96 Maxima. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Elimackman
While using my cell phone, I am unable to avoid the nasty feedback from the speakers. Has anyone found a way to eliminate this problem? I had no problem using any sort of electronic devices in my 96 Maxima. Thanks.
These days the frequencies and the power that cell phones emit will cause interference with many unshielded products. There really is nothing that you can do to avoid this problem when your stereo is on. You would have to shield all of your speaker wires in order to cut down, perhaps eliminate, the interference the cell phone causes. This can be observed near other audio sources as well. Best advice is to turn off your stuff when you use the phone. Also use an earpeice so that radiation is as far away from your body as possible.

BTW, where is your phone when this happens?
I have not had this problem in my car. I imagine that if your phone was near the speakers and/or wires you would encounter this problem. I have never had this happen with my phone in any of my cars. It may be that your cell phone emits more radiation than others. go to http://reviews.cnet.com/Cell_phone_r....fullrad#chart
Old 09-02-2004, 09:16 AM
Administrator

IF its a Nextel thats normal.. my nextel does that at home
Old 09-02-2004, 09:28 AM

No problems with my cellphone either. Is this with the stereo on? I never talk on my phone with the stereo on, so I wouldn't have seen it in that case.

Although cellphones do put out a lot of power.. they really shouldn't be interfering with your stereo. It's probably a sign of a crappy phone.

-Nate
Old 09-02-2004, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Souljourner
No problems with my cellphone either. Is this with the stereo on? I never talk on my phone with the stereo on, so I wouldn't have seen it in that case.

Although cellphones do put out a lot of power.. they really shouldn't be interfering with your stereo. It's probably a sign of a crappy phone.

-Nate
The signal radiation off of a phone does not interfere with the actual HU. It's the speakers, and wires, that absorb the radiation and it can be heard in the speakers. Your HU is in a cage (faraday's cage) and will not allow external signals to interfere with it. At least that is the theory of why they use a metalic cage to mount all of the components in. Also, it has nothing to do with the cell phone, regardless of quality. Look at the link i provided above and take a look at cell phone radiation charts. They all put out a lot.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:48 AM

My Motorola does not cause any troubles in my Max - I'd agree - could be a less-than-adequate phone...
Old 09-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Administrator

With my nextel i can tell 2 seconds before it rings because the speakers start cracking.. it seems like a sceene out of Signs
Old 09-03-2004, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by SprintMax
With my nextel i can tell 2 seconds before it rings because the speakers start cracking.. it seems like a sceene out of Signs

Again,
It's not the quality of the phone that does this. Most new phones will do this next to any set of speakers! Go out and try this.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:12 AM

Hey when I have my phone next to my alarm clock I hear a weird sound and then my cell phone rings. I never drive and talk with the stero on so I wouldn't know about the inside of the car..
Old 09-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Z

Originally Posted by SprintMax
Me too. But it's fairly normal.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:59 AM

This is typical for GSM phones - AWS, Nextel, Cingular. You shouldn't have the same problem with a CDMA phone - Sprint, Verizon.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:18 PM

i get the same thing sprint was mentioning w/my nextel also. doesnt happen in my car now...happened in my old one and always does in other peoples cars and other stupid things. like some computer monitors will spaz out if i leave it near one.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:51 PM
S_H_I_F_T_

this is true of ALL cell phones. i also know when im getting a call. my phone can be across the house and the baby moniter we have will buzz 2 seconds b4 recieving a call. although in the vehicles i dont have this prob unless my phone is on the dash.