6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rear Soiler

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Rear Soiler

Has anyone here put on the factory spoiler after they bought their car without one? I like the look but was wondering how hard it was to remove the Nissan symbol on the trunk lid and how hard it was to install the new spoiler.
Thanks,
Matt
Old 09-03-2004, 03:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

huh huh you said "rear soiler" you better wash up quick before it stains. lol
Old 09-03-2004, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by mattlerose
Has anyone here put on the factory spoiler after they bought their car without one? I like the look but was wondering how hard it was to remove the Nissan symbol on the trunk lid and how hard it was to install the new spoiler.
Thanks,
Matt
Well, I can help you out with removing the trunk lid emblems, just a little bit of either dental floss or fishing line works best, preferably on a hot day is all you need, slip the fishing line under the emblems and work it in a sawing motion. Once the emblems are off, just use the finger nail to work off the rest of the adhesive, WD 40 works well, than wax the area.

[~img]http://myweb.cableone.net/carcster88/Shaved%20rear.JPG[/img]

Now that the emblems are off on to the spoiler.....most likely it will come with a template for the drilling part. If there is none, measure twice, drill once it the rule. Use masking tape over the paint before you drill. I imagine you could just use some 3M tape without drilling though if you apply enough of it. Prefit it a few times and have someone line it up with you to help out. Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:50 PM

Does one usually need to specify "rear" spoiler? Are there are lot of people buying front spoilers?

Carcus gave a good account of how best to attach it... I've seen some pictures around of people who have them, so maybe one of them will see it?

-Nate
Old 09-03-2004, 04:52 PM

I installed my rear lip spoiler. Drilled four holes. It came with the plastic or paper template. Took me almost an hour to complete the job.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:01 PM

Did the felt/carpet lining of the trunk lid have to be removed?
Old 09-03-2004, 05:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought my car without the spoiler attached, but had it included in the final purchase price. Paid $300.00, which included install. The spoiler came in 8 weeks later. Took the car down for install and picked it up 4 hours later in the pouring rain. The next day I noticed what a poor job the dealership did in aligning the spoiler during installation. It is offset 1/8" to the drivers side. You can't see it unless you look for it. Never mind the metal shavings they left in the trunk or the small scratch on the paint. If you install it yourself, seal the edges with RTV to keep water from running between the spoiler and the trunk lid. It leaves run marks on the paint after being wet. Saw another Max from the same local dealer, yep, offset spoiler.

Later, Ralph
Old 09-03-2004, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Did the felt/carpet lining of the trunk lid have to be removed?
Yes, you need to remove the carpet lining. Installation of the spoiler is not that easy, even the nissan dealer can't do the job right.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:02 PM

There's a guy on Ebay selling OEM style spoilers, painted, for $150US plus $24 shipping. I'm SOOO tempted to get one. I'm 95% sure I could do the install. I just built a sweet custom audio equipment stand (oversized HK receiver necessitated it) so I'm super pumped about DIY jobs.

Four holes can't be that hard to get in the right spot.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sean - does that mean that you do not have a spolier ? I may want to go for an aftermarket spoiler for mine next year. And i'd be looking at a trunk lid trade with someone who doesn't have a spoiler. Maybe we have a match made in heaven happening here (and i am referring only to the trunk lids with that last comment ) !

Bob
Old 09-04-2004, 08:02 AM

Yeah that doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. Same colour, bought around the same time so the paint should match (including UV fade). I should take a look at the mounting hardware in there to see how difficult it would be to do that. I'd only be concerned about alignment during the re-install.

CM.