6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

04 engine fan

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 02:23 PM

04 engine fan

I dont know if I am saying this correctly but the engine fan that cools the car when shut off is not going on. what could be the issue?

I am teking it in for a c service this week but I dont want to sound ignorant when explaining it to the mechanic, so any advise would be appreciated.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by REVOLUTIONZ
I dont know if I am saying this correctly but the engine fan that cools the car when shut off is not going on. what could be the issue?

I am teking it in for a c service this week but I dont want to sound ignorant when explaining it to the mechanic, so any advise would be appreciated.
This fan is not designed to cool the engine when the engine's off. You're thinking of the days of the old Japanese cars that use to do this... I'm in Tucson, AZ where the temperature stays in the 100s about half the year, if not more...my fan never comes on AFTER I shut it off. When I start the car and kick on the A/C, after awhile, the fan kicks in and practically stays on until she's shut down again...(he he, I love it because the fan sounds like some future techy aerospace cooler of some kind...sounds cool!). Anyway...where did you hear the fan stays on after the car is shut off???
Old 09-13-2004, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by hofb99
This fan is not designed to cool the engine when the engine's off. You're thinking of the days of the old Japanese cars that use to do this... I'm in Tucson, AZ where the temperature stays in the 100s about half the year, if not more...my fan never comes on AFTER I shut it off. When I start the car and kick on the A/C, after awhile, the fan kicks in and practically stays on until she's shut down again...(he he, I love it because the fan sounds like some future techy aerospace cooler of some kind...sounds cool!). Anyway...where did you hear the fan stays on after the car is shut off???
Damn I miss Tucson, was stationed at DMAFB for 5 years, how is that Onyx Black holding up under the sun there? You waxing it pretty good? I remember what the sun did to alot of cars paint over the years with fade. Oh...miss having some nice drives down Speedway at night, great place to cruise next to U of A.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by carcus
Damn I miss Tucson, was stationed at DMAFB for 5 years, how is that Onyx Black holding up under the sun there? You waxing it pretty good? I remember what the sun did to alot of cars paint over the years with fade. Oh...miss having some nice drives down Speedway at night, great place to cruise next to U of A.
Man, I cruise EVERYWHERE I can go!!! I ended up on I-10 the other night just to have an excuse to cruise the interstate to the WalMart Supercenter in Mirana just for the ride! lol I'm sick! Sick w/ loving my MAX! I checked out your website...seems you settled for other than black... I HAD to have black this time around... Had an '87 "white ghost" back when they were still box bodystyle... Absolutely loved it! Your rims would definitely look better on my car! lol There's a guy just around the corner w/ a restored '95 Caprice Classic w/ your rims on it and I was just telling my kids how those rims would look so sick on my car! Just ain't willing to dish out the money for the tires/rims @ this point...got 3 boys to feed!!! You know how it goes...

So are you stationed @ Keesler now? I've been re-routed to the Pentagon...back to D.C. (EAST COAST!) where I belong... Leaving beginning of the year... CAN'T WAIT!!!

Holla back!!!
Old 09-13-2004, 04:42 PM

Man, I cruise EVERYWHERE I can go!!! I ended up on I-10 the other night just to have an excuse to cruise the interstate to the WalMart Supercenter in Mirana just for the ride! lol I'm sick! Sick w/ loving my MAX! I checked out your website...seems you settled for other than black... I HAD to have black this time around... Had an '87 "white ghost" back when they were still box bodystyle... Absolutely loved it! Your rims would definitely look better on my car! lol There's a guy just around the corner w/ a restored '95 Caprice Classic w/ your rims on it and I was just telling my kids how those rims would look so sick on my car! Just ain't willing to dish out the money for the tires/rims @ this point...got 3 boys to feed!!! You know how it goes...

So are you stationed @ Keesler now? I've been re-routed to the Pentagon...back to D.C. (EAST COAST!) where I belong... Leaving beginning of the year... CAN'T WAIT!!!

Holla back!!!
Man, I really wanted the black or smoke over the black....did not have the smoke at the time and black with all the flaws was out of the question. You stationed at DM and AF? I was working there at the command post for 5 years, 93 to 98. Really loved that area. DC is going to cost you alot of money for rent. What is your AFSC if you are AF? I am an Instructor right now at Keesler AFB. You gotta PM me, going to have to hook up with you on the global. Damn I miss the DMAFB area. Owned a Jeep back then, had alot of fun. Have it on my dream sheet to go back there. Shoot me some pics of your ride. My rims...do not really like them that much. Got them with the car, have the spinners off right now.....quality issue with them. Working that out with the dealer but never liked spinners that much anyway. The 20" rims are not that bad to get....but than again, tires will kill you for 20" in the long run. Shoot me a PM.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:11 PM

I was medically evacuated out of DMAFB, Tucson, AZ to El Paso, TX in the 80's. Was stationed in Ft. Huachuca, AZ. Had an open heart surgery (valve replacement) in Ft. Sam Houston, US Army Hospital in San Antonio, TX. My daughter was born in Ft. Huachuca, AZ. Missed the area.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:08 AM

If the fan goes on after the car in shut off it would be on the 4 cyliner cars but rare on the V6 or V8 vehicles.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:05 PM

I used to hear it when the car was new. I would shut off the engine and you would think the car was still on, but it it wasnt it was the fan kicking in.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by REVOLUTIONZ
I used to hear it when the car was new. I would shut off the engine and you would think the car was still on, but it it wasnt it was the fan kicking in.
Then there's either something wrong w/ your car or something wrong w/ your hearing... You're only in NY and it doesn't get nearly as hot there as it does here in AZ. My fan NEVER cuts on after I turn the car off... You might want to check w/ the dealer on that one... UNLESS, it's some new feature w/ the newer models... Anyone w/ a later model 6th Gen like to chime in? My MAX was manufactured in Sep 03 and the fan doesn't kick on after the engine is cut off...
Old 09-15-2004, 12:00 AM

My SL was made in May of '04 and is driven in Atlanta area traffic (I hear the fan come on when traffic stalls), but the fan always goes off when I turn the engine off.

tko507 - So your daughter was born at Fort Huachuca, eh? So was mine. Back on March 24, 1961. I lived off-base. Spent a few months in Tombstone, and almost two years in Bisbee at the Garfield Apartments; an old converted school with 14 foot ceilings and the bottom window sills six feet off the floor. Always changed the oil in my '53 Chevy 210 (couldn't afford the Bel Air) by straddling a ditch at the top of Mule Pass.

Fort Huachuca now has the town of Sierra Vista outside the gate. Back in the mid-fifties, before Sierra Vista, the village outside the gate was called (appropriately) 'Fry'.

Ah, the good old days . . .
Old 09-15-2004, 06:51 AM

[QUOTE=hofb99]Then there's either something wrong w/ your car or something wrong w/ your hearing... HUH I CANT HEAR YOU

I am telling what I experienced, so lets leave the sarcasm at home